#21 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Don't get me wrong, my dream car is a midnight blue 240Z with an L28 turbo with 600hp, but for that amount of cash right up people wouldn't really bother with old school... Unless like you say; they will be entering tournaments/races etc. Which then I believe people would build up their own car from scratch?

There's a rare race spec 280zx 2-seater on carsales for 18k, which is a reasonable price for that car, but 45k+ :(

That 2s 280ZX  has been rallied I think, be careful as to body damage.

#22 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

If.the Orange 280 is the one i'm thinking of at 18k it is a bargain. I know who built it and what bits are in it and that is a real bargain if.someone wants to go.racing/rallying/targa.

#23 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yeah thats Carlos's jigger, only ever done dirt work?
Matt, if it was tracked, what class, and what other cars would it be up against?
I think it could go turbo L28, as they were supplied in USA, but what about as a turbo in teack work?
Tarmac rallies these are permitted as ZXT
He had it on for 25 k for years, at this price it could go, but, weigh this up to say, a Hardressermobile with a 1800 Turbo in SP mode, ala Brian Ferretbee, i dont think the Nissan will be all that much fun.

#24 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

Of course it would be fun Jason.
You can still have fun without chasing trophies.
I think it would be a great buy at that price. Depending on how hard the dirt work was.

#25 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

The car hasn't done a lot of work, so the shell should still be good. If anyone is keen I can get a run down from the guy that did a lot of work on it for Carlos. He said it was a more fun to drive than my car on the road.

As for track class for door to door racing it would be a 2B car on slicks or 2F car on radials. As a 2B car it would be fun but run towards the back of the field in box and NSW. Up here in Qld it would be a top 5 car.

2F would see it run at the front of the field with a good driver. Would need a bit of work to convert it from dirt spec to track, mainly a diet and change the suspension. If it is logged, cage would be fine.

In any case, Jason's digger would be better value for money if you wanted a door to door racer as no work is needed to be at the pointy end of gentleman racing in Sc. Carlos' car would need a fair bit of development to be a serious track weapon. As a dirt or tarmac rally car the zx would be a very cheap weapon in the right hands.

In comparison to Brian ferribee's frankenstein MX at Lakeside a good driver would worry him in 2B spec on new tyres. On old.slicks I.could.do 62's, new slicks down to 61's. This is generally the race pace. Qualifying would see it up to 4 seconds of the pace depending on which Corvette is running and q couple of seconds off Brian.

#26 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

BUT, stick a TURBO on uncle Calos's car, 'cis thats how they was solded in da YOOESAY, i it should be accepyed as 2F, on good semis, rim width allowances, and in the States they ran a 15" dealer option rim, it would go pretty well???
What you say young Matthew!!

#27 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Would have to check.2F rules as it may have had to have been sold here. 15's not a problem, nor going up to 8 inch wide. You would have to run standard turbo and inlet and exhaust manifolds though for both 2F and 2B.

Could.still be a potential giant killer.with a snail.

#28 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Would have to check.2F rules as it may have had to have been sold here. 15's not a problem, nor going up to 8 inch wide. You would have to run standard turbo and inlet and exhaust manifolds though for both 2F and 2B.

Could.still be a potential giant killer.with a snail.

What would be needed for the 280ZX is for the suspension to be properly sorted, not half done like all the similarly suspended Datsuns I know about are, properly done like the gun E30's were for example.

Pity to see Jason's 280Z for sale, I can recall seeing some ripper pics of him dicing up the top in Sc races.

#29 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

Update, now has had extensive top end  ( head ) work done by Les Collins and Peter McDonnel.
After a minor issue  at PI6 hour event, , all work done and completed in time for Historic Winton, the following weekend.

Lap times in the 1.42's/ 1.43's on Winton long track, last weekend.
Hold fastest race lap records at other circuits.

There is further development posdible in this  as well as the spare engine, especially in the heads and manifolds, and still complying with CAMS Historic requirements.

Can also provide a comprehensive spares package, including close ratio boxes, LSD diffs, complete ready to assemble spare developed race spec engine, flowed manifolds, selection of rims and tyres for both GpS and Tarmac.
Spares available with car, or to be sold seperate after car sold.

#30 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

a car that's top 5 at most events

I suspect that most of the top 5 part of this car is the nut behind the wheel  ;D

#31 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Price droppage.

Lets talk turkey.
It can come as a complete package with HEAPS of spares, or, as a standalone ready to race or rally weapon.

#32 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Price droppage.

Lets talk turkey.
It can come as a complete package with HEAPS of spares, or, as a standalone ready to race or rally weapon.

Are we going to play more with the 120Y and fairlady, or has the bug bit for more traipsing around the world in business class......

#33 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Nup nup nup.
Cant drive 'em, dont want 'em

Trips are nice but have to take it easy for a bit.

Okidoki
As said, to build one, and a proper one, that will serve it up to cars that have five times the expense budget, will cost around 60k

Who here woould like their hand held, some guidance and advice given, by someone with a bit of experience, and rat cunning racecraft, and is prepared to jump from the piddly pussy play worl of lap dashes and supersprints, into a car that currently still holds class lap records, and outright fastest lap times in Historic Prod Sports

As said price droppage, the stable needs emptying.

#34 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Would love too.
But I don't have enough money!  ::)

#35 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

This could be the "lets pool together, loan Simon the money and he buys a proper race car " fund.
How much have you got?
How much can others lend you? ( you sort out the terms and payments)

No i dont take children as payment, i have got my own!
Sher, let him accquire a rare unique one off piece of Aussie Z race history!
He'll be a goid boy, he promises!!M

#36 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Vendor finance option sounds like a good way to move it on Jason! ;)

Combined with your download of knowledge - it would be a irresistible package for someone to go racing! :)

#37 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Jason - I see you have the 2000 in the entry list for the Tasman Revival.

#38 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Jason - I see you have the 2000 in the entry list for the Tasman Revival.

Event organiser opened entries three months ago, it is a popular event.
In between time, i have had to get a dose of reality pills, the eyesight issue, and, knowing what these events entail, pls the getting there and home, etc, so, i reckon it was safest to pull the pin and withdraw my entry.

Worst of all, going on entry lists, i would well and truly have taken outright Group T Sports Car championship feature race, in the Gp T &Gp S field.
But, with some 200 plus trophys at home, meh, its just a bit of tin plastic glass and wood.

#39 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Touch of thread mining, just for the old bloke with the un-classifiable un-logbookable butchered ZX, that can only use fifth gear top speed circuits.

This Logbooked fully compliant multi purpose well sorted, with further development pitential car,now, hold class lap records at,
Lakeside Raceway, Queensland Raceway, Morgan Park long circuit, and is 0.2 seconds off class lap record at Winton Long, it laps PI in 1.55's, and Mt Panorama in 2.45's, Eastern Creek in 1.53's.

These are very good credentials for a steel bodied 6" wide rimmed, stock factory braked heavy shell 280Z.

Apparently, some old keyboard racer type would dispute the above. From the comfort of his Namco pladtic chair.

Seriously, after having had extensive upper engine work done recently, with Les Collins Racing, and done two events since, and bodywork repaired, she's ready to race.

#40 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

You buy me a
Lotterie ticket. If I win I will buy your car.  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users