#1 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

You could start with a old slightly rusty car, and build it up, spend what, 60 grand, to get a front runner,, or,,
by my 280z 2 seater.
Has logbooks, plenty race history, good results, podium places, fastest lap records set, blah blah.
Strong legal motor, c/r box, LSD rear, Bilstein suspension, 2 sets rims with race rubber.

Easy convert to Tarmac rally, and would be very competitive in standard class.
Currently unregistered, but for tarmac rally use you would run under UVP's
Located Brisbane
$45,000

EOI's on it at present,, will be very sad to see it go.

#2 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

Why have you decided to sell it Jason :(?

#3 navanskyine

navanskyine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

45k is up there hey good luck

#4 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

45k is up there hey good luck

well no the car would cost 80k to build and this car works, good luck trying to beet it

#5 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

well no the car would cost 80k to build and this car works, good luck trying to beet it

Exactly - the market for race cars is a completely different kettle of fish to road cars.  If you've got fast times recorded against a car with a logbook, it WILL sell for good money.  I've seen a group S logged car (not a Zed) with very fast times recorded go for more than it cost the original owner to build it.  The guy that bought it will never do those times in it, knows it, and doesn't care.  He just wanted a car that was ready to go, and known to be fast.

#6 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

^^

#7 Bozo

Bozo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Tagline:53-681

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

You could start with a old slightly rusty car, and build it up, spend what, 60 grand, to get a front runner,, or,,

buy a 370Z or GT86 and sleep comfortably at night knowing you made a smart decision with plenty of investment

#8 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

buy a 370Z or GT86 and sleep comfortably at night knowing you made a smart decision with plenty of investment

Now you just look like an idiot.

#9 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Modern cars mean modern classes in racing/competition, as well as modern class structures in tarmac events.
Your competition will think nothing of tipping $100 k into a car, at minimum, more like $150k to be a front runner.
Latest technology everything gets quite costly.

To go "old skool" is very hip pocket satisfying, especially when a low cost vehicle ( the above Z car for sale) is able to not only serve it right up to big buck cars ( Italian/German/USA) but on a lot of occaisions leave them in your wake

As a for instance, the top third German cars have had from $100 to $200k spent over and above original car cost.
Car cost, the big black Ferrari V12 GTC4, as jst a road car can fetch $275k, an Iso Grifo, the same.
For our Z's to be such a low fully built cost entry into historic competition, is very soul satisfying, indeed!

#10 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Oh dear...........  ???

#11 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

Oh dear...........  ???

No no , Simon, a 370 or the new rear drive FT have great potential, they will be accepted into marque sports, but to then take the step to turn them into top level competitive, within Group 2Aor 2B Sports, or outright Marque Sports, will take big commitment, a lot of knowledge, and big dollars.

It was suggested about me, as to why dont i just go top line historic Porsche, but others have concluded, that i like the underdog card.
Heck, i could go out and set up three or four various spec GT3 cup cars, or a car to nail all in historics, go V8 Ute racing, but, nup, it's the old skool stuff that gets me!

#12 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Oops, my bad  :-[
I actually misread it that s 370Z or FT86 would make a smart investment.

#13 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

Oops, my bad  :-[
I actually misread it that s 370Z or FT86 would make a smart investment.

Only if they made no more than 15 thousand in total, supplied a raft of performance options able to be fitted at time of purchase, and dudnt allow the Gumbymints of this world to "dumb" the cars down, and, we just waited about 40 years, so our grandchildren could cherish them, yes for sure, a goid investment, maybe?

#14 Bozo

Bozo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Tagline:53-681

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, my dream car is a midnight blue 240Z with an L28 turbo with 600hp, but for that amount of cash right up people wouldn't really bother with old school... Unless like you say; they will be entering tournaments/races etc. Which then I believe people would build up their own car from scratch?

There's a rare race spec 280zx 2-seater on carsales for 18k, which is a reasonable price for that car, but 45k+ :(

#15 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

hahaha BOZO i think you need to go to classic racing and see the money people spend on old school lol
there are people that spend 10 times the price of this to have the car they want , i have built cars for people and 300k is not that out of the norm for a classic racer
at 45 k this car is good value  for a car that's top 5 at most events 

#16 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Don't get me wrong, my dream car is a midnight blue 240Z with an L28 turbo with 600hp, but for that amount of cash right up people wouldn't really bother with old school... Unless like you say; they will be entering tournaments/races etc. Which then I believe people would build up their own car from scratch?

There's a rare race spec 280zx 2-seater on carsales for 18k, which is a reasonable price for that car, but 45k+ :(

Bozo, there is a fair bit of a difference between a "rare?, race soec 280zx 2 seater" that has no runs on the board, and a front running race  280Z with many top ten race results, quite a few podium outright places, and has also set fastest lap records in races at a few tracks, is fully logbooked and CAMS Historic approved, and is easily converted to be a frint running tarmac rally car.
Your 18k ZX will be limited to marque sports events, and will be a back marker at most events, as current spec car technology will leave it well behind, and, it'd be playing out back of Mazda MX5's, wheres the fun!
Few who know, will come to conclusion, easier to buy a ready to go unit, than start fresh, spend anything from 60 k, and a whole heap of time and headaches.

#17 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:10 AM

I WISH I could go historic racing, quick someone show me what I'm doing wrong!

Having seen this car in action $45k is a very reasonable price. Good luck with the sale, hopefully for my sake (sorry Jason) it's still in your possession for the PI 6 hour so I can drool all over it again. :D

#18 DAZDA

DAZDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Tagline:Brap Brap Brap

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Emotion is too easily applied we people sell stuff.  Everyone wants to get more money when they sell but pay less when they buy.  Sadly is doesn't work like that.  Let's use some market research (AKA facts), based on other S30 tarmac rally/circuit cars for sale;

http://www.my105.com...26/Default.aspx
http://www.my105.com...11/Default.aspx
http://www.my105.com...99/Default.aspx

It looks like Jason has priced the car about right for the higher end of the market.  For a car with the specifications, proven results, and speed, that is fair.

I'm sure Jason knows that 'something is only worth what someone will actually pay for it'.  If he can't shift it at his current asking price he has three options;
  • wait for someone who will pay the asking price (depends how quickly he needs to sell)
  • remove it from sale (depends how much he wants to sell it)
  • or drop the price

Regardless of all this, it's Jason's choice.  So let's let the man sell his very nice race car.

#19 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I WISH I could go historic racing, quick someone show me what I'm doing wrong!

Having seen this car in action $45k is a very reasonable price. Good luck with the sale, hopefully for my sake (sorry Jason) it's still in your possession for the PI 6 hour so I can drool all over it again. :D

Yes it will be at PI for the six hour, please come down on the Sunday, nice and early, so you can give us a bit of a hand, we need pitbitches for signalling and stopwatch duty, no grease monkey work though!

In between i will be able to answer any questions about how to get involved in Historic racing.
No you dont need to go out and buy a front runner, you can start with the basics, and build up, as you get the hang of it. It is the learn how to crawl, then walk then run, but done in stages.

What have you got now? A stock standard 240/260 It does not need much, a cage to specs, some safety gear, you need licensing up, a suit and gear. Car to get Historic logbooked, CAMS has specification sheets on th Z's
Some 6x14rims, better shicks, stiffer lower springs, sway bars to your druve style,  fresh set of rotors goid pads, decent rear linings.  It's not hard, and if you talk to other Z racers they are more than happy to help, besides we need more Z's on the track!
Thats it! Ready To Go!

Then ,,,,,, you will want,,,,,,,,, an ENGINE, then a BOX, then a DIFF. No, not normal ones, but GOOD ones !
Hello Mr Wallet, i see you have lots of folding money there, i'll just take some!!

#20 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

Mmm, tis tempting, but I can't live in a zed and store the spares.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users