#41 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

Hey guys, sorry to activate an old thread and apologise if it's a bit annoying. But after just reading this thread would love to know if there were any further updates from the last conversations that were had in this thread. Or even if there have just been anymore changes to the whole scene to make s30z's more competitive in Motorsport in Australia

Thanks

#42 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

This thread is about historics, is that what you are only interested in? If not it might be an idea to start you own thread and be a bit more specific about what motorsport you are interested in and your approximate budget.

#43 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

240z71, a well set up s30 as a Group S car, in both Historic events, along with events for Group 2 Sports Cars, can be very satisfactory when it comes to "bangs for your bucks"
With over 25 possible events to race in, around Aus, there is plenty on.
You wont win, but you can get pretty close to the top outrights.
As far as getting approvals for items that were fitted by Nissan in zjapan, South Africa and the UK, unfortunately, the lack of paperwork, at the moment, is the main issue.

I am no longer racing due to health ssues, but am more than happy to assist and mentor others in the pursuit f racing the Z cars.

You after a Ready to Race car, by chance???

#44 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

This thread is about historics, is that what you are only interested in? If not it might be an idea to start you own thread and be a bit more specific about what motorsport you are interested in and your approximate budget.

I was just wondering if there was any progress in getting approval for the option items that were used in Japan and the like that's all, don't really need to start a thread as i would have felt like a bit of a half Witt starting a thread to ask how progress was going on another thread. I appolagise if it was an inconvenience

240z71, a well set up s30 as a Group S car, in both Historic events, along with events for Group 2 Sports Cars, can be very satisfactory when it comes to "bangs for your bucks"
With over 25 possible events to race in, around Aus, there is plenty on.
You wont win, but you can get pretty close to the top outrights.
As far as getting approvals for items that were fitted by Nissan in zjapan, South Africa and the UK, unfortunately, the lack of paperwork, at the moment, is the main issue.

I am no longer racing due to health ssues, but am more than happy to assist and mentor others in the pursuit f racing the Z cars.

You after a Ready to Race car, by chance???

Sorry to hear about your health issues limiting your racing. In a perfect world I would love to buy your race prep'd Z but got many limiting factors including the 240z I currently have that needs a lot of attention. However once my Z has been back together for a few years and I'm turning it into More of a race car I will be sure to start a thread to help determine what rules and regulation to build the car to fit within so I can get the most fun out of driving my Z

Just wanted to see if there had been any updates with this thread that's all, thanks

#45 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

As far as progress on seeking approvals for items, as detailed in Options Parts Catalgues, the requirement, is, that we mst provide documentary evidence that shows that items were fitted to cars supplied by either Nissan, to either its distributors, or, by Nissan and then supplied to customers.
Or,
Dealers, also known as, in some countries, Concessionaires, where the items were fitted to a new car, and then supplied to, or, so
D to a customer.

Certain cars meet the above criteria and were supplied by Nissan factory in Japan, along with new cars, that were then fitted with particular items, by Cncessionaires.
These cars were then fully road registered for se on publc roads, in certain countries for various purposes.

The items included, the vented rotors with mi63 calipers, 7" wide rims, triple Mikuni Solex carbs,
Undertrays, fender flares, fibreglass hanging panels.

We need documentary evidence, this is the edict from the governing division f Historic Motorsport here in Australia.

The other ( minor) anomaly, is evdence that some cars were physically sold in 1969, as this would put the 240Z into a year category that runs up to end December 1969 ( currently all Z are in post 1970)
The rule ( ddly!) is that Model Run On rules then apply, ie a 260Z and then 280Z would also be "classified" as pre 1970

As i said, i am happy to pursue, as I am aware f how the "system" works, and who to approach.

#46 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:22 AM

Jason's usual Sc sales pitch I see, suggest checking what actual Sc racing is available in your proposed racing area eg interstate travel? In Q last year there were three Sc race events, that's it. Also a Sc car will be relatively slow for any other racing or sprints, plus you may find the Sc rules too restricting on performance for you. The trend when still using the L engine, in Q anyway, is to use sensible mods and a more powerful engine which can result in quite a fast Z which is still basically a Z. Much more fun, much more challenging.

Perhaps join a Z car club too, nothing beats chatting with blokes who are out there doing local motorsport in their Zeds. Good luck and please keep us informed on any progress :)

#47 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

And Richard with his usual dig back.

Richard, as well as the historic racing, of which there was the Capricorn cup run over 5 rounds last year for Group S in Qld, there is also the ProdSports category which had 5 rounds of sprint racing and two enduro rounds, 1 hour events, in which a Group Sc car would be competitive in as it would run in the 2F class, or class E for the endures. Plus there are an additional 4 rounds of the Queensland Cams championships at Morgan Park for sports cars that prodsports don't count in their championship, that caters for sports cars where if enough ran, Group SC would get their own class.

So for door to door racing that is something over a dozen events for a Group SC car in Queensland alone, so a bit more than the three you guessed at.

What kills the s30 in the prodsports events for outright results is the limitations for the rules. My old car was a quick Zed, but a slow car in Prodsports, and to get it quicker needed a stupid amount of money spent to get another couple of seconds and still be compliant with the rule book.

In addition to the door to door stuff there was the Tighe Cams Hillclimb series at Mt Cotton, the state hillclimb championship, 2 hill climbs at Noosa, but Richard won't go to those because his 300km/h plus Zed won't get out of 2nd gear so that isn't quick enough.... But if he ever went to Noosa and had a play, I know he would change his mind, Noosa certainly gets your attention.

There was also all the street sprints in the greater South East corner, Gatton, Oakey, Fraser Coast and then the QR run sprint days.

If you are going to run a Zed, you won't be getting outright trophies, but you will pick up a few class trophies.

First off decide what competitions you want to run. if it's door to door and you are in Queensland, myself, and i'm sure Jason would as well, can offer to mentor you for what you need to do for yourself and how the car can be modified to comply with the class or category you want to run and introduce you to the relevant associations and people involved to get you on the track.

#48 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

All I try to do is help the OP by mentioning the broader picture, rather than solely concentrate on one specific class. Tell me what the problem is with that and where is my self interest?

Anyway, having a car that can be entered in many events is quite different to having a car that is specifically built for one class of event, that is what I was getting at. Of course you can enter a Sc car in lots of events but being competitive is quite another matter. Most people who race want to be competitive, you won't be in a Sc Zed if the competition is reasonable from what I've seen in Q. Of course favourable events can be cherry picked to get a trophy if that is your thing.

#49 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

But a S30 will only be competitive in a class or category if built to a set of rules, which for Cams racing the car must comply, not only the class or category rules, but also for general vehicle requirements.

To be able to build or modify the car first you need to know what you want to ultimately do. I would build a car that would end up door to door racing completely different to a targa car and different again for sprints and hillclimbs as the rules and requirements are all different for each discipline.

For a S30 Zed, the only Cams categories it will be competitive in will be Group Sc for historics or in Prod Sports, where Sc specs falls in line with 2F specs. To be at the front in 2B a S30 isn't going to be anywhere near the front as the L series engine limits it as does the old suspension design, and the fact the body is nearing 50 years old and will be tired.

And Cams categories still form the basis for all racing in the country even AASA are more than loosely based on Cams classes and requirements.

As soon as you put anything but an L series engine in a S30, you have effectively made an orphan of your car that can't compete in any door to door racing under Cams. At QR you could run in outlaws, but again the car won't be competitive with what is playing there now.

Not too many L series cars were quicker than mine up here that actually raced door to door, and for me to go quicker it would was uneconomical, the cost was going to be about the same as what the whole build of my S14 will cost to not go as fast as the S14 will.

The L series cars quicker than mine before it got thrown away were Lee and John's stroker engine cars.

For hillclimbs or sprints yes a Z can be made to be very competitive in some classes, or outright, but again, as soon as you change from a L series motor, if you want to step up to door to door you have an orphan car that can't be used anywhere other than QR.

The beauty of building a car to the rule book is that you can go and race at pretty much any track in Australia at Cams or AASA events and know it will be accepted as it complies. With prodsports, I can race in 3 state championships, a national endure series that includes a one hour race at Bathurst and Phillip Island, I can also run in the 300km events and in any hillclimb or sprint event that takes my fancy. The only series for sports cars I can't run in is the Modern Sports Cars series down south as the plastic S14 doesn't comply with that series rules, but does comply with 2B.

In terms of your car Richard, with the V8 filling the hole, apart from sprint events, where can you run? If you just want to do sprints, then more power to you for building a car that is different.
If you want to go door to door anywhere but outlaws at QR, or the 300km races, you have created an orphan in terms of racing, a bloody quick orphan, but an orphan nonetheless.

#50 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

Pretty clear to all, well and truly, 260det has very limited knowledge.
He does not race, never has, never been to Prod Sports events, has no dea on how popular they are.
BUT is an excellent keyboard driver.
Most of us on here know what he is like, and his above posts just keep bringing out his endearing qualities.

The cars he eschews, ie those that run in SuperSprints that get modified beyond Category requirements, will be fine for sprinting, thats it.
Cars that get built for a Category, be it Group S or Group 2, have far far more potential to not only run in Sprints, but, even better, once a driver has gone from the Basics, to Advanced, can then be used in all manner of events, including Circuit Racing at National level, Australian Hillclimb Championships, Endurance races, ie a great deal more!

This "outlaws" racing, refered to, only applies to two Qld tracks, both are under AASA, and any car built to that, just cannot turn up and run at any CAMS race meets.

Putting it succinctly, there are those on here that know what they are doing, and most realise this, and, there are others on here, that just dont get it, but take delight in snide comments and digs.

#51 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

How about considering what the OP is interested in Jason instead of you and your agenda as always?  I post what I know and don't fudge figures or anything else to suit.

#52 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Sorry guys didn't mean to start any arguments, thanks for the replies and I value everyone's opinion on the subject. I will be sure to start a thread about me and my Z racing closer to when it is happening (don't hold your breath). Your welcome to PM me if you think there is some advice on the topic I should know  :)

#53 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

Argument? What argument!
If you have any questions, or queries on things, do not hesitate to throw them up.
We will then all argue,,, oops, sorry,, discuss!
( just a hint, some of us do, or have Raced, and some of us do, or have, Sprinted/Lapdased)

#54 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

No arguments here just two old men who like yelling at clouds ;)

As I said, consider what you want to do, is it sprints, hillclimbs or targa type events or do you want to eventually make the step to door to door?

Once you know what you want to do, find out what the rules for that type of competition is and then just go from there. Nothing worse than building a car and then finding that you can't play.

You can also look at doing some "low" level competition where the minimum is required in mods for the car and still have fun, and if the bug bites look at then getting another dedicated car that will make the most of where you are running and what you want to achieve.

For me, I always wanted to go door to door racing, started in a quickish car doing lap dashes, supersprints and hill climbs, bought a sports 1300, got my circuit licence, and promptly wrote the car off at Amaroo in my first ever proper race meeting. A year later playing again in a 180B SSS in 3J Street Sedans at the back of the field, but learnt a lot of race craft, especially when I got in front of someone I wasn't giving that position up. Next step was to a mid field car in what is now prodsports for a couple of years and honed my racing in more traffic and passing and dicing with a lot more cars. Then the step up to a competitive outright car where I would be dicing in the top 5 and got the odd outright placing and taking out the NSW championship many years ago. I couldn't afford to develop the car further and technology moved on so it wasn't as competitive as I would like and I also had to take a near ten year break from serious racing. I was looking at upgrading the car and having it written off forced my hand so I am now building an S14 for prodsports that will be up towards the pointy end. Whilst it will be outgunned by the corvettes and Porsches it will have the consistency to take out a championship.

For the build of the S14, I know what I want to achieve, what rules to build it to and that is having a big effect on how the car is being put together and what I am doing in terms of body preparation, suspension and the mechanicals. If I was building this as an IPRA car rather than a 2b car the build would be completely different as the rules are very different, 2B for a turbo car standard turbos and manifolds, for IPRA, these are allowed to be modified but must run a restrictor, 2B wheels up to 40" in width total for the weight I will run at so looking at 18x9 or 18.9.5", for IPRA maximum of 17x8". 2B hanging panel material is free, IPRA must be standard steel panels, in 2B the windows are free so I have very thin plastic window kit to fit, IPRA must have the standard glass and so it goes.

I also have a near enough to standard 1600 NA6 1989 MX5 that runs around lakeside in the 66-65 second range and if I could turn up to all the MX5 Club track days in a year would take home a trophy most years, for the two or three out of 5 track days I can do I miss out on a trophy by not a lot of points, this is my weekend toy so I don't spend any money on it, it won't be used for any other track work than these club days and I have a ball out there. Lots of cars are quicker than me, but I am also quicker than a lot of cars out there. I use the days as just seat time on a track to try to keep me reasonably sharp behind the wheel so it isn't as big a jump for me when the S14 is ready to go.

So have a look at what level you want to play a, how serious you want to be, how quick you want to go and how much you want or can sacrifice financially to play, and then that should point you to the type of competition and from there how to build the car and the best mods to get the most out of it.

#55 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:07 AM

Notice lately that no one else chimes in to give advice on these topics? I don't blame them, I too am sick of Jason's know-it-all rants, we all know that he has a Sc Zed that has sat in a shed for years and has been for sale forever. So much for racing Zeds lol.

Anyway I'm out, the mods seem quite happy to let him use this forum to incessantly push his own agenda and to 'discourage' other points of views, all I'm interested in is fair and frank discussion without the personal rubbish. As I guess are most normal people.

#56 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

Bye bye Richard. You just cant help yourself in having snide dogs can you..
You got your rear end kicked well and truly over on Performance Forums
You seem to want to try to incite unrest there as you do here.
When it comes to contribution and assistance to others, you are lacking.
Ie you advertise stuff, plenty on here respond, but your grumpy couldnt give a rats manner in assisting anyone shows your true colours.
You harp on about 300kph in your car, and needing only tracks with high speed, and rubbish everything else, and when it comes to it, bingo, a non-event.
I, and others, try to foster people into motorsport, on here, and you, in the majority, respond to my pists in a negative and derogatory way. Great attitude!
So yes, Bye Bye.
You dish it,,,, you get it. Just like on Performance Forums, but here, we are a lot more polite.

#57 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

How about revealing your lie on PF that I'd tried to fight you Jason? And that the Z club blokes saw it? Underneath the rubbish you are a sad case, karma and all that. This is the sort of personal stuff that I'm sick of, particularly when it degenerates into lies.

So I'll get personal just to show I can. You are a joke with that S30 and the price you are asking for it, someone actually asked me what I thought so I gave them an honest opinion. Which only confirmed what the inquirer thought and he is not the only one. It's a pity that you seem to lack the ability to be a genuine person, after the PF blatant lie I would not trust you an inch so wasting my time like this has it's limitations.

#58 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

It appears I missed my chance to strategically place Michael Jackson popcorn eating memes... damn it.

#59 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

Just sayin'  ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 44399_3090472d022caf60e6aeec461dbd5e12af4187af.jpg

#60 WogsRus

WogsRus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:02 PM