"The Midnight warrior"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

The 1mm cutting disc for a 4 inch grinder is my weapon of choice. I prefer to grind out the spot welds on the edges rather than drill them out. Go Slowly cut sections off that are easy to fabricate. An old fuel tank off any car can be a good source of curves rather than pounding them out of flat steel.

Wouldn't you have to be careful that there is no fuel vapor in there ready to explode from sparks of a grinder?

• Administrators

Whoops! I guess that's a brilliant example of how with these cars, you never know what lies beneath until you start chopping!

Yeah even great examples can be hiding this kind of thing beneath the skin. I'm hoping my car is not hiding too much of this stuff when I finally strip it down for a proper resto of body work.

Great work Mark, looks like another 1 saved and you move quickly! I like your motivation. At this rate you'll be doing all the work on our Zeds :).

Wouldn't you have to be careful that there is no fuel vapor in there ready to explode from sparks of a grinder?

Damn straight, that first cut is the deepest!

Great work Mark, looks like another 1 saved and you move quickly! I like your motivation. At this rate you'll be doing all the work on our Zeds :).

Don't forget about Locky, he's the one who referred me. I'll have to set a finders fee!

Strange thing about this car is the inconsistency of the rust, one side of the roof is fine and the other not so good. The dogleg on the same side that the roof rusty was better than the other side. The rear hatch panel was stuffed but the lower panel was perfect.

Anyways heres what i did to fix the roof on that side.

post-762-144023683426_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023683433_thumb.jpg

post-762-14402368344_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023683445_thumb.jpg

Strange thing about this car is the inconsistency of the rust, one side of the roof is fine and the other not so good. The dogleg on the same side that the roof rusty was better than the other side. The rear hatch panel was stuffed but the lower panel was perfect.

I figured that one out when i had it. It's been parked on the side of a hill so all the water sat on the left hand side of car.

More Pics! Something that really saved this car was the red primer that someone applied to areas where the Zeds are known to rust. This would have happened during the first batch of rust repairs many years ago. Although they failed to treat the repairs properly the primer applied did save the car from an almost certain death.

post-762-144023684251_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023684258_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023684264_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023684695_thumb.jpg

Nice work Scoota. Might have to give you my car to finish off my doors, quarters and rockers. Got a city job now so not going to leave me much time to play with the Z anymore. :'(

Thanks Muchly, it's looking very neat with a ratrod look to it. They feel better to sit in when they get all the rusty bits parting company. I'll have to check out your project thread and see where your at.

damn man, loooks good. kinda the look i want for my zed. tai you should know all about the one i'm working on.. hahaha yeh haven't had much time to touch it but yeh you left me a fair bit of work to do..

scoota.. what paint did you use on the body? the matt black looks good man.

damn man, loooks good. kinda the look i want for my zed. tai you should know all about the one i'm working on.. hahaha yeh haven't had much time to touch it but yeh you left me a fair bit of work to do..

scoota.. what paint did you use on the body? the matt black looks good man.

Yeah Bardon the car i sold you needs alot of work but far from un-fixable.. at least the rust is there to see and not hiding.

You should send the car down to Scoota G and get him to fix. Your car has/had about the same or slightly less rust as the Z in this thread and Scoota has made it rust free in less than 3 months for not much coin.