"The Midnight warrior"

Hey Guys,

So, this is my second Zed, the first one was a gold 260z 2+2. I recently took that car back to bare metal and found some nasty surprises!

I spoke to a couple of people, and they all said it was probably not worth spending the money to fix it all up as I wont realise much of the value, plus I wasn't really too keen on spending heaps as it still wasn't the 240z that I had always dreamed of.

So I began the hunt to find a suitable and affordable 240z or 260z. I bid on a couple of cars on ebay, but with no luck :( that was before I came across one on this forum, it had been priced dropped from 5k so i thought i would jump on it. The seller was also a pretty nice guy, and hook heaps of photos of all the rusty areas. 

So that is where the story begins....

Ill have pictures up soon of the car, but in short its a red 71 240z, (Auto :() with a non matching engine. The original colour of the car was however a lime green.

Anywayz so the plan is to build a nice daily driver, on a uni kids budget.

I plan on building the car in 3 stages, just to give me some time to save and learn!

Stage 1 is the essentials.

- Rust Repair & total car in primer.

- Rubber kits all around

- Bushings

- Suspension (Rear) & Transfer the front end from the 260z

- Engine Swap from the 260z (recently rebuilt with extractors)

- Carpet

- Have the car assessed and see what more mechanically needs to be done.

Stage 2 the next step once the car is on a club membership

- Total car painted in a midnight blue

- Wheels/ tires

- Sounds system (4 speaker and 2 sub system)

- New console

- Reskin dash

- Fuel system upgrade

- Paint all chrome to satin black

- window tints

Stage 3

- Coil over system

- Triple Webber's

- manual conversion

- Any other little things.

So yeh, let me know if there are any other things I should consider and let me know where i stuff up :)

Cheers for reading!

Here is the Start:

th__MG_1837.jpg

th__MG_1835.jpg

th__MG_1833.jpg

th__MG_1831.jpg

th__MG_1827.jpg

th__MG_1825.jpg

th__MG_1823.jpg

th__MG_1822.jpg

th__MG_1817.jpg

th__MG_1816.jpg

th__MG_1815.jpg

th__MG_1814.jpg

th__MG_1813.jpg

th__MG_1812.jpg

th__MG_1811.jpg

th__MG_1810.jpg

th__MG_1809.jpg

th__MG_1807.jpg

th__MG_1805.jpg

th__MG_1804.jpg

th__MG_1803.jpg

th__MG_1801.jpg

th__MG_1800.jpg

th__MG_1799.jpg

th__MG_1798.jpg

th__MG_1797.jpg

th__MG_1796.jpg

th__MG_1795.jpg

th__MG_1794.jpg

th__MG_1793.jpg

th__MG_1792.jpg

th__MG_1791.jpg

th__MG_1790.jpg

th__MG_1789.jpg

th__MG_1788.jpg

th__MG_1787.jpg

th__MG_1786.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

After being delayed a week rebuilding my first auto, a Turbo 700 4L60E, i decided to tackle the passenger side door first. I won't bother you good people with countless picture of my rust repair follies instead just a few pics and a brief update over the next couple of months.

The door skin will be thrown away (recycled) and replaced with a new one. The entire bottom lip, both corners and half way up the handle side have been cut out and replaced on the door frame.

post-762-144023677541_thumb.jpg

You're becoming quite the Auto expert Scooter. There's some pretty comprehensive rebuild article on the web isn't there.

I've installed kits in some of those autos as well.

I bought the manual (hahahaha) for it too but yes it's very well documented. I used a mixture of the web and the book to rebuild it. Was a reasonable learning curve. I bought the heavy duty kit with the monster reaction shell from Ross off fleabay.

Door looks great Mark.

What's the fit like? Need much work to get right?

The fit is good but the panels will need re-alingment. The skin seems to be not as long but there's a lot of ways to adjust this out! It's not the first one i've done.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark, IMHO this thing really needs to go on a rotisserie & get media blasted...

So when is yours free, lol? I would agree but if you had seen under this car you would say no. It is very clean under there. Viv has set goals with this project and i will gaurantee in two months you will say you were wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Dog legs now! Choppy choppy weldy weldy.

You've obviously got some experience under your belt Scoota, but any tips for a newbie to this? What are you using to cut sections out prior to treating, etc? Angle/die grinder with cuttoffs?

The 1mm cutting disc for a 4 inch grinder is my weapon of choice. I prefer to grind out the spot welds on the edges rather than drill them out. Go Slowly cut sections off that are easy to fabricate. An old fuel tank off any car can be a good source of curves rather than pounding them out of flat steel.