Redone suspension

vramjee91

Hey guys, looking for some advice on my new 240z :)

Currently the stuts are stuffed and was wondering what people would recommend as affordable replacements.

Also if anyone could recommend me bushings kits. I was thinking of buying the ones from eBay USA.

Also currently I have a 260z 2+ 2 and was gonna just use them for the front two, and was wondering what people thought of that?

Let us know :)

Help would be appreciated.

KYB GR2 gas inserts are great for a road car. 240Z-260z are slightly different IIRC. 240z upto late 72 are 51mm struts, then onwards are 55mm. You'll probably find your 260 struts are too large in dia to fit in the 240 struts. My car is badges as nov 73 but actually had 51mm struts, so measure first and if you do replace them get new urethane bump stops too. Whatever you do don't buy Monroe inserts..... They are junk.

I just installed a energy/prothane urethane kit off Benny and it all fits fine. I think you can buy the same kit off ebay usa for like $230.

Maybe you should consider buying coilover sleeves and section struts.

Also you can swap in the complete struts from your 2+2 pretty much everything from the doors foward are interchangable and abit more beefed up.

Cheers guys for all the help.

So pretty much the front two are interchangeable as long as I replace the whole thing?

If that's the case what would be the best thing for the rear? Would I need to get whole new springs and shocks,

Well the objective is to have it as a reliable road car lurch.

Yes the fronts just swap over. The rears on the other hand will jack your car up 3 inches or so as the 2+2's rear struts have a higher spring perch and thicker top hat.

So if you decide to just change the springs and shocks on the rear, remember as gareth j said they will be different in diameter so you may need to mix and match 260z front and 240z rear.

KYB GR2 gas inserts are great for a road car. 240Z-260z are slightly different IIRC. 240z upto late 72 are 51mm struts, then onwards are 55mm. You'll probably find your 260 struts are too large in dia to fit in the 240 struts. My car is badges as nov 73 but actually had 51mm struts, so measure first and if you do replace them get new urethane bump stops too. Whatever you do don't buy Monroe inserts..... They are junk.

Hi,

I am very interested in where you get the KYB rear gas inserts for a 240z? the Australian catalogue shows front insert part no 361002  available but nothing for the rear. I found this out at my local suspension shop. On Ebay USA I have come across part no 361001 for the rear inserts, but as stated these do not come up in the list of inserts available through Australian suppliers.

I too just want a reliable road car and from what I have been advised KYB with new springs should fit the bill for me. There are some great drives around here on the local country roads, however this is showing the limitations of my worn suspension.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Thanks Gareth,

I am keen to buy in Australia if I can to keep some money in this country, so I will keep looking for options for the time being. I will take your advice and check out sourcing them from the USA if I have to.

Regards

Peter

download the monroe catalogues and strut sizing charts, you will quickly find one with similar specs to your 240 or 260z units,

with a small packer or larger washer you will be fine.'but feel free to swing any thoughts or ideas past us all,

as we have either done it, seen it or tried it....

cheers Nat0

300Zx front dampers fit 240Z front and rear legs - I've just done this. Needed packers (spacers) as the dampers are physically shorter and a slight mod to where the top of the damper bolts through. And when I come to section the struts for more suspension travel, these dampers will be spot on. The plus is that the ZX is a heavier car and standard dampers are nicely firm for the 240Z. Just so you know...

yup what he said,

search my posts and ive got pics somewhere showing whats required to do the above, No Cutting or welding required, even to increase travel as its not required unless your jumping your car in a rally or similar.....or slamming it on its floor rails.

Nat0

PS i think I had 2 sets of shimms and spacers to suit the 300zx koni adjustables into 240z strut tubes/housings......will have to look as i think i sold/swapped a set way back when, can this person chime in here with their experience??? or was that you wildy?

cant remember, too many birthdays!!!!