#1 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi guys,

I test fit my new brakes today as a dummy fit and the calipers juuust rub the wheel spokes and I mean only just. I put on some 2mm washers to the hub and the wheels cleared easily.

Because I don't want to grind the front of the caliper housing (bit dodgy), I want to make a pair of 3-5mm spacers which have a very tight interference fit to the hub which is also centric to the wheel centre bore. I was just after people's opinions to my solution?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

#2 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

As far as insurance and "safety" goes wouldn't you be far better off shaving the calliper??

#3 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

You can buy 5mm spacers off the shelf that will do what you need. Still sounds like you are having an offset issue on the front and by looking at your pics the wheels sit well with in the guard.

#4 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

I now have 15x8 -3 on the front, I just haven't taken many photos of the car in the last couple of months because it looks a bit sad while it waits for it's new rear wheels:
Posted Image
Unnecessary front stretch will be changed when I get my new rears too.

I'm happy to go off the shelf if they can size the centre bore correctly, make it hub centric as well as centric to the wheel. I asked the question to see if the solution I have will pass scrutineering as I don't really want to rock up to a track day after shelling out and being told my car can't go on track.

As far as insurance and "safety" goes wouldn't you be far better off shaving the calliper??

I did think of that, but I figured that under high loads the wheel face may still deflect enough to contact the caliper, so spacing it out further than what I need will help that plus it brings the added benefit of moving the tyre further away from the castor rod at full lock... And it will look better 8)

#5 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I've never had more than a  one second 'push/pull' test on my wheels during scrutineering at club days, If you have siameesed holes or multifit wheels then they may look a little closer. As far as I know spacers aren't an issue on track, it's the road thats the worry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users