Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hi guys,

Getting close to throwing some cash at getting a cage put in.

Basically I need to know who you use/recommend and what sort of prices you have paid and for what sort of job.

I'm expecting $2500+?

-James

#2 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

You first need to work out what you are using the car for.
Street driven? full cage isnt legal on the road.
If its track only, are you competing in CAMS official events? If yes, you need to look at the regulations for the class(s) that your racing in.
Once done. Bond cages are pretty much the blokes to go through, they do a LOT of the full on cages for CAMS and FIA sanctioned events.
http://www.bondrollbars.com/

Edit.
Just noticed the sig says 240z track car, so ignore the street driven bit.
but i'll leave it for anyone else that reads it.

#3 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yea sorry bud, left out a bit of info due to the guys in QLD knowing who I am and what the car will be used for.

CAMS track work - purpose built.

Bonds are great but I'm chasing someone up here in SE QLD.

#4 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I bought a Bond 'kit' type cage with all the bars bent ready to cut and weld in and got a mate that builds cages down here to weld it in for me on the cheap.  It only has the basic bars required by CAMS but it did make a big difference to the handling.  I pulled about 1.5 seconds off my lap times straight away.  We're now going through the process of adding a cross bar behind the dash and linking the cage into the front strut towers.  The kit from Bond was about $1,000 but that's going back a few years now.

To get a workshop to do it, $2500 will be on the cheaper side but you might be able to find somebody who will build a fairly basic cage like mine for around that.  Expect to pay anywhere from $4-8K+ for a fairly serious cage built from CDS, more again for chrome moly.

Depending on the workshop, you will probably be able to save yourself a bit of cash by having the car ready to go so that they don't have to remove and re-install anything.  Interior, dash & windscreen out, etc, etc.

That's all i can think of for now, hope that helps.

I'm sure dat2kman & PZG302 will be able to point you in the right direction for some cage builders in SE QLD.

#5 Patch

Patch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

This one is at my place on the coast, I will not be using it, You can see if it is any good for you.
http://www.viczcar.c...ic,10529.0.html

#6 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Scando, I might have to look into that option.

Patch I'm pretty sure Matts cage is a mid 90's spec cage? but cheers for the offer!

#7 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

James, will be going through the same thing in about six months or so for the new car.

As stated, get a CAMS spec cage, can then run at anything, also be aware that the rules changed for this year, so download the relevant section from the CAMS manual, available on line at www.cams.com.au.

There are a few workshops in Brisbane and the Gold coast that can supply. As for cost expect to pay anything up to and around 3.5k depending on what you want. I will be going for something that looks like an explosion from BHP's rod division. i would be looking at a full 6 point cage with "crossed" intrusion bars, taxi bar for harness(es), "lada" and "sains" bars plus a knee breaker. Also look at getting the shell seam welded at the same time. Also, don't get a cage with legs through the firewall, if you want to play in prod Sports, this is illegal. There are some things you can do to overcome this, seam welding the front and a strut brace is one way. If you can have a look at my old shell at Patch's, the front is seam welded in all the right places and done right, ie 25mm long welds with a 25mm break, makes it easier to pull apart if required and won't twist the shell with too much heat from a continuous weld.

I know Jason is keen to get some work done so if you can work with Jason in getting Lurch up he could do the cage and sign off on it for CAMS compliance. Again a look at my cage will give a good idea of what works well on the rear, and I can run you through on what i would do differently at the front to bring it up to what i would like my cage to have been. It was built to different rules again so the front was a compromise.

As stated in earlier posts have the interior stripped for the fabricater, talk to them to see how far, but i would leave the steering column in and everything else out when the cage is put in.

Matt

#8 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'm still keen to get Lurch up, e ven buying him a new Transmig180I inverter welder for the jobM
If not, Norm Singleton, out Camp Mountain way, approx 15 kms west of Brisbane GPO, is good for doing proper cages, i spoke with him last week, he can fit a few cars in in next month or so.

Dave Feron Kipparing is VERY good, but can be slow and pricey.
Also get whatever you get, tagged to the bodyshell, if it is a non group specific ie not Historics, get the firewall braced to the nder dash knee bar, as well as to the front towers.

While guards are off, get the plate bracing done, this stiffens the big open rectangular box we call an engine bay, stiffened.

#9 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

I might have to get you to pop around Matt and give me an idea, I have a pretty large seat and it sits pretty far back, basically as far as it could go so I'm a little worried about room.

Jason, I'd be keen to see what it would take to get Lurch up here but I won't be ready until after mid May. Have you spoken to him about availability?

#10 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I might have to get you to pop around Matt and give me an idea, I have a pretty large seat and it sits pretty far back, basically as far as it could go so I'm a little worried about room.

Ask whoever does it for you to lean the main hoop back a little.  As long as they do that then you should be able to have the seat a long way back.

#11 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

If I was to do one, I'd just get this kit shipped out.
Bars can be easily added/removed as you see fit, as it's only CroMo (T45).
You'd just need to be aware that CAMS have changed the wall thickness for this year... ::)

http://www.customcag...Z&type=Historic

#12 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

That's pretty damn tempting, T45 is still ok with 2012 regs?

If so I might have to move my seat forward a few inches and start steering with my belly~

Currently my seat sits directly in line with the front of the quarter window.

#13 zr240

zr240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Wonder what the freight cost would be lurch?

Need on for my shop build

Ash

#14 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

No idea mate - email them & ask, then let us know!

#15 Patch

Patch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

I got a clutch kit set over for a Pug and it cost me 80 pounds postage for that, a timing belt and 2 water pumps was 25 pound.  conversion 80 pound is $124.00

#16 zr240

zr240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Email sent :)

#17 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

What's the go with the new cams certification process for running any sort of steel alloy? Sounds very involved with submitting engineering drawings, etc, but is it not that bad?

#18 zr240

zr240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

OK here is the eamil back from the rollcage place in the uk
Quote:
Please note I have quoted you in both grades of steel that we offer, CDS and T45.

Datsun 240Z Roll Cage in CDS (D240Z/04) @ £646.00
Datsun 240Z Roll Cage in T45 (D240Z/04T) @ £814.00

Delivery to Cheltenham - Australia @ £421.37

Please note that production times are currently 7-10 working days upon receipt of payment.

Ash

#19 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Yikes. That freight is expensive.

CDS:      $987.25 AUD
T45:      $1,244.00 AUD
Freight: $643.96 AUD

#20 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hey, Beanstalk, i could be doing another road trip to Eden for the Bega  Rally, ( shire dirt roads - YES)
using an old crappy little Datsun,
fancy a road trip back to Brissy?
Mid June
Knock over these little jobs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users