New Dreamer from melbourne

RE: Power steering - you should only fit this if you're a girly man and don't want massive biceps :). Honestly I don't see the big deal with power steering in a Z. It's never bothered me and it's only a bit harder parking but if you're a manly man this is no issue.

I have power steering in my V8 ZX and my arm size is fine thanks ....

very reasonable price of $750 door to door. I'm not sure if this was a mates rates situation, because we have used them once before.

But i am more than happy to give you their number if you're still intertesed?

Put it in the recommended business section? I'm sure this could help others in future.

hey.... just checking...

The guy i bought the car off seemed pretty sure that the power steering from a 280zx worked in a 260z...

But from what I've read, its really not possible...

is it possible that i have a 280z steering rack, not a 280zx? (BTW it hasn't been fitted to the car).

hey.... just checking...

The guy i bought the car off seemed pretty sure that the power steering from a 280zx worked in a 260z...

But from what I've read, its really not possible...

is it possible that i have a 280z steering rack, not a 280zx? (BTW it hasn't been fitted to the car).

Early 280zx uses reciprocal ball , which is not great, but later ones came wth power assisted rack and pinion, which is good or you could adapt a wrx one maybe.

The 280ZX SII rack and pinion power steering is a rear mount rack (sits behind the steering axis of the front wheels). The 260Z has a front mounted rack (sits in front of the steering axis). This means that if you install a 280 ZX rack into a 260Z in the front mount position, when you turn left the car will go right and vice-versa. It is impractical to install a rack in the rear position in a 240/260Z without relocating the steering arms as well. I don't know why you would do that.

There are better options for power steering on S30's.

Cheers

Jamo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Alex, thanks for showing me your beautiful z the other week. It really gives me something to aspire to!

I have found a few other little rust spots in the car, but ill post in my newly created project journal.

I just realised that i have the old set of window seals from my car, so if there are any of your seals that are leaking

particularly bad you can have these ones. (Although I'm not sure if they'd be any better...)

I'm really not looking to getting the bill for my car to be resprayed... The guy at the body shop said it would be anywhere

from $2000 upwards!

For anyone who is interested, i will be making a project log. http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,11066.0.html