L28E to L28ET?

Baja Burley

IMHO With that sort of money I'd expect a monster build, then there's brakes, driveline, chassis, suspension to be able to handle all that power. I'm prepared for flaming, it's just my uneducated opinion  :)

I would think a budget rebuild with some mild work, efi and a 4.1 diff would be plenty quick, especially for the road.... At legal speeds. 

My bike carb setup was plenty quick on my old standard low comp used L28.

Sorry went a bit off topic.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$700 L28 w/ P90

$850 Forged pistons

$700 Spool Rods

$200? arp gear

$500 AZC sump

$700 BHJ damper

$1200 Trust exhaust manifold

$350 HPC coating for said manifold

$1900 GT35 v-band .63 HPC coated

$200 water oil line kit

$1400 Stainless 3" Exhaust 2 mufflers

$1000 Lonewolf custom intake HPC coated

$700 Autronic 500r & coils

$1500? Autronic SMC ecu

$700 Rice racing water injection kit

$400 Inter-cooler

$400 PWR BOV

$450 TIAL 44mm Waste-gate

$400 Ali radiator

$1400 Jim berry Super monty clutch

$200? 240mm flywheel

$4000 RB25 gbox, adaptor, tail shaft, labour for conversion

$1200 R200 LSD

$1400 Datrat CV conversion

$5000 Labour on engine , bits and bobs, porting, customer  psychological support

And still spending.... depressing, not sure I want to add that all up, that doesn't count the money I've spend on parts I wasn't entirely happy with. Still more to make the driveline strong enough for the new engine. I'm also sure I've forgotten things.

Once engine is back, I imagine there will be $3000 in more parts to install, then probably $2000 for tuning and changing whatever breaks.

Also have

$2000 HSD coilovers

$2400 AZC 4pot brakes

$700ish new bushings odds and sods

One I cant wait to get is the new wheels, hopefully happens soon, 11" wide hopefully will fit with BAMF flares

Modifying any engine costs money guys, good parts cost big money, Good help costs big money. I chose to stick with the L series because I dont think anything else looks as good in the engine bay.

FYI NOT A HIGH COST ENGINE, JUST GOOD PARTS, BY NO MEANS THE BEST. If peter was building his l34 kits earlier, I would have gone straight to one of those, .5L extra displacement would have made me much happier.

Yeah sorry guys I didn't think of the breakdown for all the other associated parts, I was thinking just engine for 35k so that is the ultimate 'L' build  ;)

I meant my original engine was fairly decent and maybe that's a better option than a cheap possibly short lived turbo build. If the money saved is used on the other parts then it'll still be very zippy, zeds handle like go karts so with modest amount on all things it'll be more than quick enough

for eg p90

springs hsd type 300

high side type 250

cam 200

ssvalves 25 each for cheep type

adj timing gear 250

port job 1500

valve seats and guides fitted 400

face head 50

weld head if need 150

clean and get ready for assemble 100

set wipe pat on cam and supply lash pads 250

head gasket mls 400

and to check it on a flow bench and balance all ports it can cost up to 1000 depends on work

You guys are WAY over paying for a lot of stuff, especially Peter, really $4000 for custom intake and exhaust manifolds? Motec is expensive and not necessary to run, even on the "ultimate build." $4000 for a fuel system? I bet a similarly capable system, using components that are as high quality could be built for less than half, less than $1000 around here. $7500 for a custom crank? I was quoted less than $2000 for a custom crank from a US company about 3 years ago for a different engine (a V6), even with shipping and import fees into Australia would not be $7500.

BTW, I can read just fine, which is why I'm astonished that you and other people are paying these absurd amounts of money for parts.

My estimates included supporting items, like the fuel system and ECU.

Maybe many of you are just stuck on catalog builds? Buying parts based on some brands that are simply a recognized brand, and not necessarily any better than a lesser know brand.

60% of my parts are from the states, because they are so expensive in Australia. I didn't want to risk all the money I've paid on cheaper parts which have been known to be bad. It's not a budget build, but certainly not the most expensive either.

no catalog motors at my shop mate  . just parts that work  . yer motec is dear thats because it works and they back there stuff up i had a problem at the track a will back and made a call and had a chat to the tec man it was 7.30 pm on a Saturday and he fixed the problem over the phone  , try that with a cheap ecu . real motors and work cost lots

...i wonted the best L Series in the world not a back yard hack turbo ....

hee hee hee, there's nothing wrong with backyard hack turbo's with water injection stuck everywhere (and that's good quality performance rust which is covering everything.....).  ;D Well, it's not quite backyard, but meh! And doesn't quite fit what Pete's after, if you boosted it to 20psi you wouldn't have much of an engine left!

th_Datto3.jpg

Sorry, someone had to post something to lighten the mood in this thread  ;D

*Eats popcorn*

Loving having a real tech debate  ;D

Do what you love I say!

Most people's opinions are right. Especially Gareth's!

OP and Bozo will have a great deal of fun with a fresh N/A L28 tuned right!!!

But if you want to be different. Do the turbo.

Hell. Even do a budget turbo build if you want.

Your money Ralph.

My budget L30 cost about $10k. I'm a family man, so that's a lot of money to my budget.

But I bit the bullet and did it right. Certainly not regretting it at all. Knocked of 4 seconds at Winton in poor conditions, the only mod made. still more in it with a dyno tune, budget allowing.

Peter did great work and pretty much has the most street cred here.

thanks Simon

your motor in most shops would be over 20 k with the new 44 carbs the labour bill for your budget build would have been 7000 in any shop in the country , the only reasion it was budget was i did it at a loss

you can build a cheep motor i do all the time, but if you wont real go not just having a turbo it will cost lots dont kid ur self

pss in the US parts and labour are much cheeper ,,, and we over pay for all our parts and cars ,

you can buy a zed in good condision in the US for 3000 , so they wont pay $$$$ to build a engine . so we dont see the zed the same way

SixShooter just proved my sensible point via technical, car savvy, educated facts.

BAM!

+1 bro. I don't know what half the Nissan/Z owners here in Aus think they are, but it aint anything less than backyard ferrari owner wannabes IMHO.

I say K-I-S-S.

Sometimes I wish I was a mechanic...

Go and do it, there is plenty of documentation on the web on how to do an L turbo or ...

Save yourself the effort of finding a turbo setup and just stick an RB20DET since they are bolt in anyway!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyline-R32-RB20DET-Engine-Gearbox-package-Clutch-turbo-intercooler-VL-/290676928455?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43adb1efc7

look $1300! Have that in and running by Sunday.  :P

• Administrators

hee hee hee, there's nothing wrong with backyard hack turbo's with water injection stuck everywhere (and that's good quality performance rust which is covering everything.....).  ;D Well, it's not quite backyard, but meh! And doesn't quite fit what Pete's after, if you boosted it to 20psi you wouldn't have much of an engine left!

th_Datto3.jpg

Sorry, someone had to post something to lighten the mood in this thread  ;D

Don't worry I thought it was funny :) - Seriously a budget build will get you something like that.

pss in the US parts and labour are much cheeper ,,, and we over pay for all our parts and cars ,

you can buy a zed in good condision in the US for 3000 , so they wont pay $$$$ to build a engine . so we dont see the zed the same way

This is very true, I can say from living in Europe that parts for my FD RX-7 are a fraction of the cost over here than what they are back in Australia. Even S30 parts tend to be relatively cheap in the UK.

You do pay a premium for performance cars / parts in Australia. The cars I understand is due to import tax to protect local car industry, but car parts I'm not sure about? (Perhaps same thing? To protect manufacturing in Australia). Now you could complain about it, but Australia isn't going through recession like the rest of the Western World, so perhaps they are doing something right?

If you want to do a budget turbo build for an S30 - I honestly think the RB20 / RB30 / SR20 turbo is the way to do it. Far cheaper than building an L-series turbo.

I think a budget build would involve doing most of the work yourself like Simon Degroot in QLD did...

http://web.archive.org/web/20051212020139/http://www.240z.id.au/

• Administrators

Go and do it, there is plenty of documentation on the web on how to do an L turbo or ...

Save yourself the effort of finding a turbo setup and just stick an RB20DET since they are bolt in anyway!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyline-R32-RB20DET-Engine-Gearbox-package-Clutch-turbo-intercooler-VL-/290676928455?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43adb1efc7

look $1300! Have that in and running by Sunday.  :P

Beat me to it :).