Electroplaters - Sydney?

PeterAllen

I've just picked up the knock-off caps from the engraver - Brookes Engraving Unanderra - and with a little more machining of the ears, and polishing, I'll be looking to have them chromed.

Does anyone know if any special technique/material is required to ensure the chrome doesn't flake off when struck with a lead hammer? I actually have a padded three prong gizmo to use at home but if I have to change a tyre on the road I will probably have to give them a whack.

Also, any recommendations on an electroplater? Thanks

post-684-144023665769_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023665775_thumb.jpg

I've used Elite Plating in Smithfield before for zinc but don't know if they do chrome.  I think they do more bulk order items, so I'm guessing not what you're after - quick turn around though (good for bolts). Swift Electroplaters in Silverwater do chrome - iirc.  I haven't used them though so I don't know what they're like (they're on my list to checkout when/if I do eventually need to chrome).

Sydney electroplaters may not do very good chrome - they often send items down to Victoria as environmental requirements there are not as constrictive as here. You could try all metal bumpers in Ingleburn and ask if they will do these for you - they chrome bumper bars but may do other stuff if you ask. Cheers. :)