18 replies to this topic

#1 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Tagline:Old Member

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

??? Did Datsun ever mnfctre wheel spacers as a OEM set up.. I'm under NSW regs & having trouble fitting 7" spoke
wheel rims to clear front springs for RWC. Wondering if I fit camber adjustment units would this be OK or are they not OEM also. Got me stuffed at the moment.

Regards: Alan.  :D

#2 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

as far as i know, no they didnt do an OEM spacer on anything.
the only way your going to know for sure what you can do is to speak to someone in tech standards at NSW RTA.

I know that all slip on spacers are illegal in australia, but i think that some states allow hubcentric bolt on spacers, However, dont take my word as gospel, you need to check with the people who know the rules 100%

#3 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Why dont you get wheels that fit your car? I'm amazed with all the talk about fitting wheels on the forum we still get questions like this.

Why would an OEM make wheel spacers??  :o Dont you think they would just make wheels that fit in the first place?

I know that all slip on spacers are illegal in australia, but i think that some states allow hubcentric bolt on spacers, However, dont take my word as gospel, you need to check with the people who know the rules 100%

Pretty sure the bolt on jobs are illegal too.

#4 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

Ask a friendly rta engineer or inspection workshop, that know you, as, it may be possible to use slip on spacets, BUT, they must be secured to the hub, psitively, this can mean a simple countersunk machine screw, into a countersunk hole, with corresponding drilled and tapped hole into the stock hub flange.
This way, if your wheel comes flying off, the spacer does not become a head slicing off frisbee.
I cant work out why it's ok for a 20 kg wheel flying, to be acceptable though.

The above applies to spacers used in racing, but as said, check.

I am not overly enthused about bolt on hubcentric spacers, and these are not allowed in racing use.

You mention 7" rims are interfering, what are they?
If they are the more common modern type rim, ie for front wheel drives etc, with large positive offset, maybe get something else??

#5 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Why dont you get wheels that fit your car? I'm amazed with all the talk about fitting wheels on the forum we still get questions like this.

Why would an OEM make wheel spacers??  :o Dont you think they would just make wheels that fit in the first place?

Pretty sure the bolt on jobs are illegal too.

Porsche OEM make spacers for the rears of some of the 911 variants. Pretty sure its part of their factory widebody conversion.
I heard a rumour that bolt on spacers are legal in ACT, however i have made no effort whatsoever to verify that, so take it at face value.
The person who told me that said that they were illegal in VIC and NSW, but wasnt sure about QLD, NT, SA or WA.
from what i know of the subject, the slip on spacers are illegal because they are loose AND they arent hubcentric, placing all the weight loading on the studs, instead of the hub. by that reasoning, the same would apply to bolt on spacers that arent hubcentric either. (and i guess probably to mag wheels that arent hubcentric either)

#6 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

If its rubbing on the front springs, camber adjustments won't fix it. That alters the position of the strut relative to the car, rather than the position of the wheel relative to the strut.

#7 Paulo

Paulo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi Alan,

I know your love affair with the spoke wheels won't let you go, I have a set of struts with small diameter springs you could try in a way 'round the clearance problem, please PM me if you want to play with alternatives - in my experiments, have found that 200B hubs fit the stub axles and allows alternative  rotors/calipers to be fitted, your welcome to try stuff from my parts bin  :).

Paulo

#8 Pedro

Pedro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

ok. I have bolt on wheel spacers on the front from Benzed (otomoto).

Basically i needed them to get home from my s13/hilux conversion as my 14's touched. so bit the bullet and bought some as i wasnt ready to buy wider wheels yet.

They are 20mm. I know people who drift and race on them - they increase your stance/width at the front and improve handling (help with understeer).

There is no safety issue with buying high quality bolt on wheel spacers from my research and advice i have received from racers. They have been tested and used under race conditions. the slip on ones i wouldnt touch but bolt is a different affair. There is a lot of mis information out there on them. 

But re the legality, thats something will need to check with your authorites. Benzed will stand behind the quality of their wheel spacers i am sure. i have a photo if you want to see them installed.

#9 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

There is no safety issue with buying high quality bolt on wheel spacers from my research and advice i have received from racers. They have been tested and used under race conditions. the slip on ones i wouldnt touch but bolt is a different affair. There is a lot of mis information out there on them.

You know its quite interesting you put that up. I was going to say something similar but thought i would leave it for anyone doing the research themselves.
I was sure they'd be fine so long as they are correctly engineered/constructed and fitted properly, seeing as people race/drift on them.
I have heard (or read) plenty of 'mate of a mate' stories about bolt on's coming loose then loosing a wheel on the highway ect.
When i was researching it, there is a lot of 'myth' about it, but it was very hard to find lots of actual failure stories.
There are definately some out there, dont get me wrong, but the only ones i found any concrete evidence was a 4wd with 40mm bolt on's, 30" muddies on extreme terrain and a couple of people who didnt take the advice to recheck the tightness after a quick drive.
Actually thinking about it, the ONLY person i have ever heard of saying that they themselves had a failure was Aziza off Hybridz, and im pretty sure he says he didnt bother to check the tension after installing them and going for a drive.

I have a pair coming to fit on the back of mine, because i dont have the time/cash to sort out the 5 stud rear to match the front before my wedding.
it may be illegal, but im going to do it anyway.
http://gktech.com.au...=2904&x=45&y=12

#10 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

I ran a set of 30mm ones to fit late model wheel to my 260Z 2+2 and never had a problem with them. They are just generally illegal and void your insurance.

#11 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

:o  That's funny , earlier on you were stating that you should always check wheels for correct fitting ,etc . Isn't this a contradiction to that statement. Oh well. LOL. Only kidding mate.

I've come up with another idea & this is to relocate the three securing units for the strut caps further back in the Strut housing & then re-set the camber on them , only need about 6mm to get the clearance I need. How do you think this will go fella's.

I've also mnged to locate a set of Cheviot mag wheels only 6" tho, & at my age size doesn't matter Ha Ha also there are five of them & at 100 bucks are shite cheap.But as Paul say's I am wrapped in the spoke wheels & would like to persevere with them.

#12 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

The difference is i knew and was prepared to run spacers when i got the wheels. This was also 10 years ago before they made one design of wheel that was 16" in a zed appropriate offset. On my new car i run Rotas which fit.

I think you are crazy to be trying to move the suspension mounts around to fix this. Just buy a set of spacers the right size and be done with it.  It easy to measure up what size spacer you want.

#13 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Tagline:Hiroshima Screama

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I later found out my fitment problems were due to the tyre profile being to tall and it has been rectified by fitting lower profile tyres that more closely match the height of the standard tyres.

#14 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

;)Just to fill in the missing gaps, spoke to Techo from RTA who informed that Spacers & anything that is not provided by Mnftcr people are not permissible. He stated that as long as the wheel/tires do not touch the struts etc that this is OK. I gained the clrnce I required by hammering the spring retaining unit back in slightly & then ground it a little bit so that I gained the required clrnce , it was very minimal so that there is no safety factors to be concerned with. Might also add that camber adjusters do change the distance of the wheel to the strut,when the camber is adjusted to give you neg postn on wheel it increases clrnce from strut.

#15 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Might also add that camber adjusters do change the distance of the wheel to the strut,when the camber is adjusted to give you neg postn on wheel it increases clrnce from strut.

The stub axle is a fixed part of the strut, increasing camber won't change the wheel clearance in relation to the strut or spring perch. It will give better guard clearance though  ;)

#16 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

The stub axle is a fixed part of the strut, increasing camber won't change the wheel clearance in relation to the strut or spring perch. It will give better guard clearance though  ;)

But changes to king pin inclinations do  ::)

#17 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

How are you going to change that on the strut setup in the front of the zed?
Its a complete 1 peice assembly, your only possible adjustments is camber angle, either at the top of the strut or with an adjustable length lower arm,
Steering axis inclination via adjusting the length of the lower torsion rods or toe in/out via the tie rod adjusters.
No matter where you adjust it, the whole strut assembly (strut tube, axle knuckle, spring perch and spring) are all going to move as one complete unit, maintaining the exact alignment with the hub, rotor and wheel bolted to the stub axle.

#18 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

::) I have adjustable cambers on mine & when I rotate the camber unit it causes the lower strut brace to move to dfrnt pstns (understandably) this then changes the angle of the wheel itself in relation to the struts themselves. Stands to reason one would think or is it a optical illusion on my behalf. LOL.

#19 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Tagline:Garage San Maru

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

::) I have adjustable cambers on mine & when I rotate the camber unit it causes the lower strut brace to move to dfrnt pstns (understandably) this then changes the angle of the wheel itself in relation to the struts themselves. Stands to reason one would think or is it a optical illusion on my behalf. LOL.

So your saying you adjust your camber with out touching the strut or the lower control arm ?
Can we see pictures ? It sounds ...different to every single zed I have ever seen.
Cheers Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users