#1 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Prompted by another topic, that's my excuse :)  But sort of seriously, with the fastest and best short circuit in Oz right here, why is it that basically no ZCCQ member wants to take up the challenge and work on some impressive times there ? We have just ONE S30 driving club member doing it regularly, plus moi, plus the occasional NON CLUB MEMBER 280ZX and 300ZX. Look at those facts objectively, no excuses, it's pretty sad isn't it?

Maybe widen your horizons boys and get out of those comfort zones, you have but one life so I'm told. And trying  to work out in a fraction of a second how far to push that accelerator down can be a revealing experience. As you should know if you are reading this.

#2 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

I've yet to do Morgan Park but I love Lakeside, I plan to run all year in the open sprints once the car is done which is monday/tuesday at this stage and we are running on the 18th (next saturday).

Dusty is doing the same in his 260 bus when funds are available.

Another team mate in his R34 is doing all year as well with a few QRs in the mix.

I sometimes wonder the same things, wheres the love?

#3 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

My excuse is I prefer to do proper door handle to door handle racing, and at the moment are between track cars.

The MX, and when the Charger is finished, aren't the types of cars I'm prepared to risk at Lakeside. They will see QR a couple of times this year, the MX to give a friend a taste of track driving in a safe environment where they won't be worried about bending the car. The Charger will never see Lakeside as i am not prepared to put at risk an 11 year rebuild that turned into a checque book restoration.

Once the S14 is finished I will be back racing in the Prodsports championships up here as well as looking at doing a few of the one hour races down south, like Bathurst, about 4hrs track time for $2000, bit exxy but where else can you get that much track time at Bathurst, and Phillip Island.

I should also be asking when will the zed guys get serious and give some prwhilst oper racing a crack with prodsports. All well and good to do a 61 second lap at a sprint for a lap or two, try doing it when you are attacking one car whilst defending your line from two others cars for 8 laps around Lakeside......

#4 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

There is the Top Gear entry level race series held at Lakeside and QR, pretty good from what I hear. I've been away from motorsport for over a year, went to Lakeside the other day and bloody hell, that place really is in your face.

#5 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Run the Z there plenty, in historics, as well as the 2000.
This year there is a six round Qld Historic Champoinship cup thingymajig, two at Lake, two at QR and two at Morg Park, all in historic mode, not marque or prod, i'll be using either car, not chading bits of shiny plastic anymore, just for fun. Old mate in big black Fezza will keep me on my toes.
Its a combined Group S and T series, and the Group N touring cars will be there too.
First at Lake on March 24/25
full on door to door action.

What is a worry is the odd way flags get used in events, on board vid ( my car, running second o/r) from a 2011 big historic meet, has in one lap, a red at bridge, a green at hungry, a yellow at east loop, WTF, three of us held pos, and pulled up at start line under waved red, were told full course red, ,,,, ummm, no, video shows green and yellows. Bit of head scratching there. We're not sprinting  with a half dozen car legths between!!
In full race we rely on flaggies getting it right, they are directed from race control.

#6 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

I would love to race rather than just sprint, the spirit is willing and available but most of the other requirements are not. It would be very interesting to develop and run a Group Sc S30 for example but to get the runs requires regular interstate travel which is beyond most everyone here. And such a car would be completely uncompetitive in most of the other race events that would be available in Q.

The Top Gear race series is being completely neglected by the Z fraternity but something a bit better than a NA L6 engine would be needed to be competitive. Plenty of big power up Zeds being done down South so............

#7 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

This is a bit rich coming from you Richard.
If you wanted to go door-to-door racing badly enough, you'd do it...!

Secondly, I hauled my 240 up there last May for LapZ & had a ball!
BUT I haven't seen you make the trek south at all - ever. Too scared of the big scary Island, huh?

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

#8 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

THE L NA is not dead the one in doing at the moment will prove that, will make 350hp engine with carbs  on pump fuel

#9 be-zed

be-zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

There's a problem with Lakeside. What is it?
Nice try Richard to get us to come out.
I think there are a number of us who would like to try flag to flag . But like gambling you only risk what you feel you can afford to lose.

#10 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

This is a bit rich coming from you Richard.
If you wanted to go door-to-door racing badly enough, you'd do it...!

Secondly, I hauled my 240 up there last May for LapZ & had a ball!
BUT I haven't seen you make the trek south at all - ever. Too scared of the big scary Island, huh?

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

Oh I'll race Lurch, running with other cars is not a problem personally, unfortunately not all of us are in a situation where we can do everything we want to do. As for PI it does not look as scarey as Lakeside, Bathurst looks a bit scarey but PI, no. And if everything goes to plan I will get to PI in 2013 and will now make a point of following you around for a while and then wave bye bye when that gets boring  :P

PS this thread is aimed at the locals not you mexicans :)

#11 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

As for PI it does not look as scarey as Lakeside, Bathurst looks a bit scarey but PI, no.

Another Mexican opinion here (well, not quite Mexican, perhaps Texan ?? What are New South Welshman called ? )

Perhaps the problem (if there is one) lies in the "scary" part. Those without much track experience look on it as too dangerous ? To be honest, I wouldn't lke to start my trackday career at Lakeside due to the higher risk of damage.

I also found it to be  a rather "boring" track in a way. Flat out down the main straight and around the kink, brake hard and around the corner, flat out all the way down the back straight, brake hard, turn left, then right, then onto the main straight again. I only have 100hp at my disposal, in a faster car I would say it would be more "exciting". Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun and I'd do it again, but I'd personally prefer Morgan Park (again, possibly because it is more challenging for an underpowered, good handling car). For a newcomer, Morgan Park also looks a bit more "forgiving".

Same as we have down here in NSW - Eastern Creek is undoubtedly a "better" track, but Wakefield Park is the preferred option for lower level club days / trackdays. As much for economic / availability issues nowadays, but it is also well suited for less experienced drivers, plenty of runoff, not a real high speed track, but still challenging to get 100% right.

As for comparisons to PI - I'd say Lakeside is a bit scarier than PI, but only due to its lack of what I'd call "safety" - little runoff areas, etc. As for Bathurst being a "bit" scary  :o  Bathurst way outranks any other track I've been on for scariness. Biggest buzz (and most terrifying spot) I've ever encountered on a track is drifting out towards the wall across the top of the mountain.

#12 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thats the spirit, see Dave is having a go at lots of things.
260det comment re a secific class, ie group S, or Marque or prod sports, yes you would need to travel to get more than say 6 events a year in. It is a step up in costs.

AASA Lakeside/QR do offer entry level door to door stuff, ie the Topgear series, and yes i have to agree with above comment, why aren't the constant year after year after year Morgan Park supersprinters willing to "move up" a rung on the sporting side. Not for lack of trying, but after having done the MP series for a couple of yeats what is there to prove? It is a good intro to motorsport for sure.

260det, you could consider the 6 hour later this year, at PI, that will get your eye in for the 2013 Nissan Nats, yes it is a bit involved getting it there and back, twice within 9 months, but it is possible.

#13 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

An S30 built to group Sc historic specs would be competitive in prod sports up here, as would one built to 2B specs. you only have to look at last year's championship where I finished 4th in 2B only doing 3 1/2 rounds. if if did 4 or all 5 rounds then I would have finished 2nd for the year.

As for events, prod sports do 5 rounds of their championship, plus one enduro round as well as being able to run in the 4 round Qld CAMS championship plus the other qr meetings we don't buy slots in, a total of around 12 to 14 events each year.

personally, last year I only wanted to run the PSCRAQ events, so 6 meetings for the year for me. When the new car is finished I will look at doing the 2 Qld series and one or 2 enduros as the dollars allow.

There are more than enough events up here in Qld to choose from without having to head south, so that can't be an excuse.

For.this year I am hoping to co drive in the Qld round of.the enduro series, want to win group S Jason, hint hint ;D

#14 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

260det, you could consider the 6 hour later this year, at PI, that will get your eye in for the 2013 Nissan Nats, yes it is a bit involved getting it there and back, twice within 9 months, but it is possible.

Yeh I was going to do that Jason but instead am aiming at running Bathurst this year, PI Nats next year. Any rumours around about Bathurst events open to cars like mine this year? Will do Drive Bathurst if I have to, assuming it's on.

#15 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

The Easter festival at bathurst this year will have regularity, but you will need.to be a member of either the porsche club or the NSW Road Racing club. Supp revs are available now.and I can send you a copy if you want.

#16 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

That Easter Bathurst thing was sold out a while ago I believe Matt.

#17 24 Dat

24 Dat

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Tagline:Dave

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have run both and i think both MP and Lakeside are fantastic tracks, I personally prefer MP as the track has a safer layout in case you have an off.
In the A series of the Qld Super Sprint Series this year has 20 Z's entered with a couple of those being duel entered and nearly all of those are ZCCQ members, there are also 4 other ZCCQ members entered in other Nissan/Datsun or other Marques. lets face it
Friday practice 1-5pm                                            $25
Yearly ($220) Series entry cost works out at        $55 per round
Entry fee for each round                                        $70
Transponder hire                                                  $15
Total for 3 days of shiver loads of Z fun              $165
and if you want a covered pit are another $70,
Not to forget cost of the eating and drinking ;) and accommodation or free camping at the track on the Friday and Saturday night along with the 3 days of Z talk :)

I have only done LapZ at Lakeside ,what is the cost for the 1/2 day sprints at Lakeside or have they reverted to the full day?

#18 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I can understand the attraction of MP but just doing that year after year seems a bit half hearted to me and it is not that cheap once accomodation and travel costs are factored in. I think Lee F showed what a well driven S30 can do at Lakeside, a good NA L engine will deliver excellent lap times providing everything else is up to scratch, it's definately not a power circuit. When I tried to follow Lee I found that turbo power was no substitute for momentum and corner speed, those who blame lack of power for their average lap times there really don't understand what Lakeside is about.

Anyway, people will do what they want to do, I just think it's a pity that so few club members want to drive what is recognised as one of the fastest and most challenging circuits in Australia.

#19 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yep, do the MP thing, couple years, move on! Some are comfy, like an old soft armchair, it's nice, and it's goid for development.
RG, your rig should be ok for the Lakeside door to door rolling starts??
What if anything does it need for that step up?
AASA National race licence, half cost of CAMS, less onerous, car mght need AASA car passbook, some of mine are dual log/pass books, they rarely look at them.

Pzg302 adores the proddie boys, my only suggestion,,,, is make sure you're either quicker than a HairMobile, or, slower, and play up the back.
His green meanie was shaping up nicely to be up front of the mx5's, 'cept for the odd one or two!!
Have a chat to keith out thete, see wher they would put you, you are more than ready. There are some "historic" targetted events, sometimes to bolster grids, they "invite" non complying cars in.
1980 body ZX is close to old enuf for AASA??
It would be fun for sure to get some more of the MP regulars doing the door v door.

#20 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I have only done LapZ at Lakeside ,what is the cost for the 1/2 day sprints at Lakeside or have they reverted to the full day?

Cost is $175 for the half day of timed sprints and an extra $25 if you want the practice in the morning.

The last few times I've been up the boys have gotten 25+ laps not including the practice.

For me I'm only new to the game and so is the car. With work requirements and costs its much easier to pop up on a Saturday or Sunday to have some fun for a few hours then come home.

That being said, MP next year and who knows after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users