Consolidate Event Boards into 1 Board

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,382 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking of tidying up the categories of the forum and it occurred to me that perhaps we don't need so many different boards for events. Instead we could have 1 board for events.

Does anyone have any objections to this? Or perhaps any suggestions in general about simplifying the sites category structure?

#2 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

My 2c, i like the individual states being listed, a quick scroll through the main page, and you can glance at all of the "who's doing what".
As well, each states resident will be drawn to their own for info news etc, if they wete all combined, one would need to open the page and scroll through looking for each pst, it would only work like this if each post started with the state in capital letters ie;
NSW 31 st February Show and Shine at Penrith

#3 24 Dat

24 Dat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Tagline:Dave

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

I agree with dat2kman, i think it works well as is

#4 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Agree, it's very user friendly as is.

#5 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

I'm going against the trend here.
I like Gav's idea to merge them.
But, Jason's idea to have the title with the state, date and event is also a good idea.

#6 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yep the forum needs to be simplified make it one section just start the event title with VIC:,TAS: etc.

#7 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm going against the trend here.
I like Gav's idea to merge them.
But, Jason's idea to have the title with the state, date and event is also a good idea.

To go with Gav, it reduces the home page drain everytime a user logs on, or refreshes, so, to combine all states under a single home page of "Events" will help the cause. Besides when ypu look at them, quite often there has been some time elapsed since last post on a thread.
My post above was a sort of a sitting on a fence, but if it comes to a "clean up" of the home page, and makes it simpler, then go for it.
I'm sure we could all adapt!

#8 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

The only issue I can see is that the QLD Zcar club and NDSOC in Victoria might like the state dedicated boards. I know both clubs are pretty active on here.

The reason I brought it up was that many of the state events list where they are anyway. I'm just thinking of ways to simplify what we have. Too many forums have too many categories in my opinion.

Will give this some thought.

#9 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

The only issue I can see is that the QLD Zcar club and NDSOC in Victoria might like the state dedicated boards. I know both clubs are pretty active on here.

This discussion was had a while back, where it was decided to not be affiliated.
Much like how the Prince Skylines and Roadsters are with NDSOC.

#10 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

Being seperate is the best I think. Makes it a lot easier to find things.
If we really want to keep the site up to date then I would be:-

- Keeping up coming events more up to date. I don't think we have the Tassie event listed on the front page and I don't think we had the Dec'11 Xmas event listed when that was coming up either.
- I would also be putting more up todate photo's of past events on the front page. I think Thredbo is the current one on the board which is about a year ago. Visitors probably think that was our last event and then think this is an old site with a lot of in activity which of course is not true. We should really have updated stuff for the last event like the Xmas party Nov'11. then you would update it with Tassie in Feb'12 etc. Then as people run down the front page activities they would see we are doing things.

I think Lurch and I had asked for access to do this. But it wasn't possible. So we sort of let the front page, which is our main feature, sort of let us down. Personal opinion only.  :D

#11 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

I think Lurch and I had asked for access to do this. But it wasn't possible. So we sort of let the front page, which is our main feature, sort of let us down. Personal opinion only.  :D

I can give you guys access but the content management system isn't 100% intuitive and therefore needs a bit of instruction on how to use it. I'll review this soon and hopefully we can keep the homepage a bit more fresh.

#12 24 Dat

24 Dat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Tagline:Dave

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

I agree the Z Car Club Q  is now quite active here with posts of up coming events,  mind you, of ZCCQ club members there is only about 5 to 8 regular users (if that!) that i know of, (i am sue there are more floaters out there,)  and i hope in the coming year there will be a lot more of ZCCQ members using this site, and vice versa.

This is how another Z forum events page turns out when you list everything on one page http://zclub.com.au/...orum/25-events/

I think this other site is just looks messy

I still think this site works and looks great just as it is!

Cheers
Dave
Prez ZCCQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users