March 9 to 11 2012 Phillip Island Classics. hUGE historic event

dat2kman

Over weekend of 9 to 11 March, PI hosts Australias biggest historic race and regularity event, with over 500 competing cars.

In regularity, there should be some Z's, and in Group S ( two full grids of 50 plus reserves) thete should be some Z's

Unfortunately, due to pressure brought to bear in Micheal Holloway of the Mini Car Club of Vic, by the 180 strong membership of the Group S racing Association, they jave demanded that no genuine original historic prod based sports cars be allowed to race alongside all the non-historic Group S prod sports cars?

So, this means the Datsun Sports 2000's of Jason Lea, and Brian Henderson, have had their entries rejected. These two cars are genuine historic cars, not like the johnny come lately group S that have NO history requirement.

Are YOU pizzed off at not seeing these two little giant killing Datsuns??

Then get off your bottoms, and email or write to VHRR and ask them to make sure they include ALL genuine historic cars in the future.

The might of a 180 strong group has brough sufficent pressure to bear on the event organiser to NOT allow true cars to race.

Boycott Group S, cancel your membership, yeh right, they are all oh so pukka grpoup british!!

Check out tje verbal spray the Healey Club of Vic gave Jadon, in 2010

Google it up and post a link.

Oh the positive bit!!

I have adked if i can run the gp S 280 z in the fake historic races with all the other fake historic cars

Hopefully i get to visit you Sothern Brethren, agin!!  Yeehaa!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a proper historic logbooked Group T, which is "production based sports car with a racing history prior to December 1981" as per CAMS requirements.

CAMS has a vehicle compatability matrix, which indicates to event organisers, all the historic groupings, and which groups are best fit with other groups, pretty important when you think of the mismatches that can occur.

My Dato is actually on CAMS website page of all the groups.

In NSW and Qld, event promoters run races for say, " historic sporys cars groups T and S" just like races for Group C and A touring cars.

Mine is a ptoper historic, not a fake. The fakes can get a "historic" logbook for $190, the proper cars have to pay $950, plus costs to elegibilty officers and vehicle examiners, prior to logbook and tje important "certificate of description" being granted. The fakes dont have a COD, but tjey like to strut atound and tell veryone tjey are historic.

I'm spraying well here!

He GSRA has 180 members, the Group T Association, has 15, guess who whinges tje most, and gets listened too!

We know of a furyher 8 or 9 potential group T proper cars in Melbourne!!

Fernandi D Alberto and Tom Cantwell, and Lindsay Drif Zed cars all count, Lurches dad has 2 Austin Healeys, lou mndello has Tom Cantwell Datsun 2000, Paul Trevethan MG giy has 2, BUT, when absolute bull shyte like this goes on, by a CAMS car club at a historic meeting, these otjer cars wont want to come out and play in a hurry.

I have been pushing for Gp T for a while, but when farkwits like the Vic Healet arzeholes carry on, tje Pukka Brit boys etc, tjey just dont like JapCrap.

There are three T cars that also have S logbooks, cos its cheaper, but tje S guys dont mind them, cos tjeyre British.

Hets a fun fact, apoarently MGB's " wete"sold brand new.with a Weber carburretor, APPARENTLY, so now tjey all can use a Weber. When the Zed guys ask for the proof and what needed to be shown, ie so we can get triple mikunis and bigger brakes, we are told, sorry no, that info is for MGB guys, you have to prove Zeds wete sold NEW with bla bla bla fitted

Ffs we race against bloody fourwheel disc Porkets and V8 detomatoes, nt the brit rust shyte, but no..

No wonder Pete Hall got the tomtits, and resigned from CAMS commisdion.

I just like being a farken PITA, and will continue, while i can!

Are Tom and Lindsay's car pre 90? Thought they were built around the time of my zed?

It's all about who you know in historic. It's a joke really.

Even when your car has the full historic log book with cod they question the car. Usually I am very quiet when he scrutineers pick things out on my cars no matter how silly I think they are. But when you have cod and they say we're are the headlights. It never had them? The doors are not big enough. That how the car was built and log booked? Etc etc

The group t thing pisses me off as well as I though I ms be able to rn my 94 logged booked marquesports car as it was as the ran them in the 80s and out of depth in current marquesports field.

There are so many cars from the 80-early 90 that would fit into group t that have no were to run at the moment.

Cams are just against helping Motorsport from most accounts. And a lot of the people in high places are only in it for the own interest . It's a shame because it could all be a lot better and more fun.

We also have a jag e type tha ran in production sports cars in the 70s that has f5000 brakes as fitted and run bet that would cause a stir! Or they would just not allow it!

Ash

Ash,

If it is a production based sports car, and has a logbook, with races entered into the logbook ie scrutinerrs notes signatures dates and tracks/events, and, these dates are prior to December 1980, the car qualifies as a Group T car.

Ie most of the racing Bolwells, your fathers, Tsakmakis, Webb, Alan Edwards ( i was a student at a school he worked at) plus many others.

Main issue is presenting the car in its as raced then spec, not its "now"more recent post 1981 marque sporys spec.

Photos from meetings, race results sheets, printed programs, articles in motorort press, all help to verify the car.

The elegibility officer for gp T will have to confirm the car and its spec.

Good thing is, you only have to pick one race, ie one point in the time of the cars spec, as they wete getting modded from event to event, so just say, pick the November 1980 Calder meeting, to present the car as it "was"then.

I know Ran was a masywr at modding cars from one meeting to the next!

What is NOY gp T is one off non prod based cars, these fall into gps OQR etc.

The gp T guys running , 8 now, just need more cars to be put back together, logbooked and cod'd and to get used at historic meets, in Qld, if we can get min of 15, we will be given our own grids. Nsw require approx 20 to make it worthwhile re event sceduling at a meeting. PI classic wont give us a grid unless we present at least 35 cars!!

The whole crux of my above, is that the gp S mob are now dictating to event directors who to allow, and how to run events, worst of it is, they are not even historic cars.

What the T guys need is to get off their apathetic bottoms, and get vocal, i do it enougj to the variuos historic clubs, but we need more to become vocal.

Ian Tate knows Ran snr, get Ran to have a go to Tatey, about letting the T cars come out and encourage them etc

I found one of Webbs good Bollies for sale, logbooks the lot, it'd make a cracker of a T car

We are waiting for Cantwell to produce the logbooks for his cars, so research can be done!

Whats the details on the E - Type??

Yeah yeah yeah, all very frustrating, just make sure you get a run in one of your toys down south so I get my bodykit for the new Prod Sports car back here for the cost of nice bottles of spirits......

In all seriousness, i did try to get my Zed looked at but was built too late to count, and became the orphan that it was, even though it was built in the mid '90's the technology available was still the same for the late '70's with the xception of fuel management for the injection and tyre technology (which affects all racing now as the old cars are racing on tyres much better than what was originally available).We also had the same problem when the marque sports car category in NSW ran at historic meetings and cars were rejected at scrutineering for having stickers on them, even though they were not historic cars!!!!!

Sometimes the flat cap racers are their own worst enemies, and if these types of situations aren't resolved soon, then historic motorsport as we know it will die. The last couple of oily rags and Qld HRCC newsletters have made for some interesting reading regarding the future of historic motorsport and the different attitudes to where it should go to prosper.....

• 3 weeks later...

T cars all  rejected, Paul Trevethan had entered his V8MGB GT, the animal one! I recall watching it leave the feild behind off the start at Amaroo!

Good news, the 280z is getting a run at PI in Group Sc, should also be a few other Z's running in the S field, as well as one or two in regularity.

Practice and Qualifying Friday, racing Sat and Sun, we will all have wets rwady, just for tjat sodding Murphy fella!

Jason

I admire your tenacity - arguments with VHRR got the better of me so I quit the VHRR and Group Sc and sold my 240 (John Ingham now runs it)

Anyways

The NDSOC will have a club display opposite the pits over the weekend with Roadster and Zeds there- I'll be sure to find you in the paddock and say Gday.

Al.

• 4 weeks later...

The NDSOC have a club display trackside on the weekend and I have a few spare tickets for NDSOC members  for Sunday (you must be in a Nissan/Datsun to park in the club display area)

Free entry for driver and passenger at 1/2 price.

Meet at the Cranbourne Bunnings carpark by 7.45 leaving at 8am sharp.

PM me if you are interested

Al.

Qualified with a 1.57 on Friday arvo, fastest Z, but 13th on grid behind some pricey exotics.

Where's the "amateur" in motorsport gone?

There was never such a person, Jason!

• Moderators

Don't stress Matt, I've arranged with him to take it to his mum's place after the event on Sunday evening or Monday..I'll make sure when I meet up with him. Saves it being in the way during the event plus it won't fit in the zed when I do go!

Good work Jase, how does that time compare to the Sports 2000?

Did Motty catch up? He was saying the Davidson Formula 5000 was 5 seconds a lap faster than a Touring car...or what ever there called now. A few Zed's in the regularity?

Hodgo

Guys

It looks like I have a few spare tickets for tomorrow so if you want to join the NDSOC Display meet at Bunnings Cranbourne for an 8am departure to P.I

All propestive members welcome- first in best dressed - PM me if you want a ticket

Al.

Whacking in some 1.55's in race 1and 2 8 th and ninth o/r

Bloody hard work, brakes are not good and down front straight at approx 235 something is causing electrical or fuel issues at high rpm and driveline vibration.

Got rather fun incar footage of Pirker into rear of yellow DeTomaso on strat of race 1.

Come by and say hi, am on grassy area to right just over bridge.

Next events Sunday approx 12 noon and 4pm.