Advertising In the Classifieds.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,651 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to clear up some confusion around the classifieds section of the site. First of all I want to acknowledge the fact that some people register with the sole intention of just selling their car. Early on this used to frustrate me, because I viewed this as free loading. To some extent this is true, however with the combination of donations and small amount of banner advertising on the site we are usually able to cover the sites running costs. So I now don't view this as a problem. As a result I edited the classifieds sticky thread to omit the part about requiring X number of posts.

That's the short version. The Detailed version is below:

I did consider setting up some form of payment system for advertising on the site and many sites do this. Eg: Carsales, eBay etc.. however they can do this because they have a large audience and constant stream of traffic to their website. You are essentially paying for an audience of car buyers.

Now you may argue that Auszcar.com is a targeted audience of people who want to buy Z-cars. This is true, however creating a payment system is not simply a matter of collecting the money and kicking back with feet off the ground. You need a secure payment method and you also need to offer a level of technical support to people eg: I can't upload my photos, or my ad is not showing or I want a refund etc.. This is something I would not have the time to do.

I also don't believe it would be a significant revenue stream for the site. You see when you require payment you also get less people advertising (this is a general rule). The reason people advertise on a site like this is because it's free. So you may as well go with the flow as they say. Many of the most successful websites on the Internet work on this model.

Take a look at Youtube, Facebook, Google i.e Gmail, Maps, Picasa etc.. They let you use a service free but make money through advertising to you.

You also have to look at the positive result of a free classified system. First dibs on many new cars that come to market. I get many emails about someone looking to sell a classic Datsun each month. Unfortunately I don't have time to reply to many of them, but the ones I do I refer to the forum and classifieds section.

So please when someone signs up and posts details about a car for sale. Please don't flame them for it. If they don't include enough detail feel free to point it out and refer them to this post. You never know, they could be a potential long term member who is just looking to sell their current project and buy another, or they might not be in a position to keep a Z at this stage, but intend to come back to it in a few years when their finances are in better shape etc..

#2 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Gav, if they end up as "one post only"types, is there a need, say after a years time, to delete their registration?
Do the admin/mods purge very old one off users?
Is there any issue with having on the site, a large number of registered users, but a percentage we never hear from, ie occupying space.
What about totally unrelated posters, ie the American NHL jersey seller?

What interested me about the recent issue that brought you to make the above recommendation, was the lack of research, and the high price, for an item that, on many past for sale threads, was a little over enthusiastic.

Sure some of us can have extremely high, in others summations, expectations, when it comes to their pride and joy, but accordingly, there will be the low ballers out thete as well. At end of day the trading markets dictate the prices achieved.

#3 saxon

saxon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

For every person who sells a Zed through this forum, there is a buyer.

Many people who take offense to first post classifieds say that this is a community etc etc. But there's not much point expecting the seller to tell us his life story when he is soon to be Zedless. If we want to grow the community, we should attempt to engage with the buyer, not the seller.

#4 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

I don't expect a life story when they join, just a quick explanation on why they are selling and even to say they aren't interested in zeds at all and just be truthful. Most importantly not have an attitude when criticism is given about details of the car or ad. Of benefit like you said Gavin, is having first dibs in some good cars that are for sale; I'm all for that but sometimes if the seller has some attitude, I'll not buy!

#5 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Let the trolls give us dibs.
Then we can attract the new buyer to become a contributing member  ;)

#6 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Here's an example from the other side of the stick.

My wife drives a Prado and one a couple of occasions I have a typed question into google and been present with several options of 4wd forums and their accosiated answers. When I go to click on 'some' forums it comes up that I had to be a member to view the thread, some of which I have already seen from the google result and I know its the info I'm looking for, so I HAVE to go through the registration process just to view what I need to know, then I dissapear. Now if there was some more info I needed to know that wasnt posted and I had to ask the specific question, how would I feel if they all jumped on me and told me I had to provide my life story before they would let me in.

I think because of the limited number of "contributors" to this forum, we all feel a little bit acquainted and are hesitant to let strangers into our little community. If we had twice or ten times the members/contributors, we might feel less protective to jump on the new guy as soon as they pop up. How can this forum increase in size when we have people passing on bad experiences with this site because the first thing they tried to do was sell something.

Seriously, if you're at a pub with your mates and a fella comes up and starts blabbing on about his car with a million horsepower and how his VC commodore is worth at least $500,000 cause Peter Brock sat in it once and farted, do you all start telling him he's wrong or do you continue with your own conversations and ignore him, in which case he'll just go away? Or do you jump up and kick him in the nuts, potentially finding out later that he was someone important, but just came across initially like a bit of a dick.

#7 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

I've lost count of how many members have joined just to sell then dissappear; what gets me is the way they sell then the attitude that comes with it when somebody asks for details. No need for a life story, just the straight facts that I need to sell the car, make a donation if it sells through here, listen on pointers on how to help sell the car, thanks for your time and seeya later. Not the recent way of placing an ad, abuse some members, bitch about it and complain.

#8 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Geea whizza, Ima feelinga so badda!
This all started with me suggesting a rust in places, not running, unregistered, un roadworthy  clutch not working, and who knows what else, 1985 280zx, with no pics to show any issues, or justification for, (although not needed) an asking price of $5000, may have been a bit ambitious!

Im intersted in picking these up, but only for parting out. Ive got old wizened sunburnt thick hard crusty skin, and can cop and give abuse, so doesnt worry me.

As above mentioned, maybe to look at, or utilse the forum, you need to sign up. At any one time we have  only a few logged on, but heaps of random stray visitors/guests, but then that raises the issue of clogging the site with the once only user, which is no bad thing, as whatever he/she is registering for, may well be to the benefit of other users, which helps everyone in the long run.

I too have had to sign up to use, other random forums, for many purpses,  i'm in there for the short term, then if my registration is cancelled due to lack of usage, maybe clogging up the site, hey, no skin off my nose.

I dont see it as having a go at newbies, but when something comes up and it is quite obvious it is a bit over the top, and others make comment, both constructive, and non constructive, and some get a bit testy, maybe they should try elsewhere for their internet pleasures.

But keep the heck away from PF forum! They'll last only minutes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users