#41 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Does left hand door window need to go upsys/downsys?
If not Sikaflex in place and do away with mechanism?

That MCA red setup Josh is doung as quite good. Decoy posted up a very good link to setting them up, but no doubt Josh will advise you direct.

#42 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Some progress on the S14.

The photos below show the cage in progress, bloody high priority big dollar jobs getting in the way >:( Any way the cage will be finished in the Christmas break and I will have the car back home hopefully before I start work again in the new year. The cage will be fairly comprehensive and stiffen the shell nicely as well as give me lots of protection if the worse happens. The shell was also seam welded in the engine bay around the strut towers and the two floor seams in the passenger area. As the rear suspension is mounted in the cradle and the cage ties in the front cradle location and the top strut mounts in the parcel shelf I don't need to worry about doing anything in the boot.

I have also teed up all the suspension except for the coilovers, which will be ordered when I know the exact set up for wheels and tyres I will be running. The new Achilles slicks look to be interesting at a very good price, or I can continue with using the Porsche Cup tyres I previously did.

Any way all new rose jointed suspension arms for the front and rear will be arriving hopefully mid January. I will also be installing alloy R32 uprights for the rear and getting the rear cradle reinforced and solid mount bushes installed at the same time. It will cost me a bit more, but it will be done quicker than I can and the welding done right. Basically I drop my cradle off and then pick up the rear cradle all set up and ready to bolt into the shell.

I also had a good chat with the engine builder and some budgets for various build types will be worked out in the next few weeks. The rules are quite free in some areas, but very restrictive with having to use the standard turbo and manifolds, so the engine is compromised in what can be done and compromises need to be made to come up with a good package that provides a bit of power, but more importantly, a nice drive-able torquey motor.

I am now on the hunt for a couple of cheap SR20's complete and suitable for rebuild, my brain will hurt trawling some of the sites to find cheap motors.

If work keeps going as it is I will have the dollars to keep the build going and hopefully be looking at shakedown testing around the end of September 2014.

Attached Thumbnails

• 39009_2c0c8eaf7f02ae41c5e65e7af0a6cb31684acbd6.jpg
  • 39007_ce25641ac96354677c9f049fef83f031f133ae00.jpg
  • 39005_aa93a65408aa675d7e9769504e8c8e5f7b654255.jpg

#43 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

The shell is home this morning, the towie just dropped it off.

The cage is complete and turned out great, now for me to get the car on a rotisserie and finish the stripping of underneath and the inner guards before painting all but the outside and hanging panels in KBR/POR15 in white. And the price was a nice surprise to, I suppose cash helps ;D

I also found a S13 blacktop motor at a good price a couple of hours drive away, so gives me something to do tomorrow. It's a standard motor in allegedly good condition, so a great base for the new race motor. A build and budget is being worked out at the moment and hopefully won't be too far from starting off. I also have a T28 on the way to swap out the T25 that the S13 comes with. Another reason for getting this motor is no VVT, so a bit simpler as I will be using bigger cams anyway, plus the head is slightly better than the VVT version for what is looking at being done for it.

Excuse the poor phone photos, but here are some of the cage and seam welding....

Posted Image
Seam welding in the front.

Posted Image
And the other side

Posted Image
Cage from the front

Posted Image
Steering mount to "knee breaker"

Posted Image
Back of cage. The strut mount in the parcel shell is plated and attached to the mount point of the rear bars on both sides.

Posted Image
Blurry shot showing intrusion bar and another view of the steering column mount and tag between pillar and tube, which is also done for the main hoop and B pillar.

The cage is a great design and will make the chassis nice and stiff as well as keep me safe, hopefully I won't have to test that part out.

I am also getting a new seat in the next week or so, depending on availability will be local supplier or from UK, to better make use of the HANS device. I will be getting an OMP HTE XL. A very comfortable seat that fits a fat bastard like me in the hips and also the shoulders. I will also be getting a great window net kit that is used on the Porsche cup cars, It will work out about $150 dearer than other kits, but the way it is made is much better, doesn't require any welding to mount it and is a much better solution for when the net is not in use. So if anyone wants a brand new Sparco PRO200, see this thread....http://www.viczcar.c...ic,13649.0.html

All in all some big progress has been made and further progress will be made in the next couple of months.

#44 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

It's looking good Matty!

#45 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

A1
Will shop again,
Excellent fast transaction!

Looking good,
Yes it looks well triangulated on both sides, and tagged nicely.
Sainz bar on roof?

#46 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Full "X" bracing for the roof, so very comprehensive cage with everything triangulated nicely, including the intrusion bar to knee breaker.

#47 Mike260LW

Mike260LW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Matt, the cage looks really good. Should add plenty of structural stiffness and, as you said, a safety cell around you.  Who did the fabrication work for you?  Mike

#48 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Mike, a guy by the name of Dave Avenell. He has his own fabrication business and sub-contracts to Australian Diversified Engineering at Aspley. As well as cages he has built quite a few off road baggy and truck chassis, so knows his stuff.

If anyone in Brisbane is looking to get a welded cage done I would highly recommend Dave to do the work. He charges a fair price for the quality and time taken, and is very easy to deal with.

#49 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

Well as said in the post from the other day, things are moving quickly. A JDM BB T28 turbo turned up in the post this morning and i had a nice drive from Brisbane to Kyogle to pick up a standard black top SR20 from an S13.

Motor was standard and came complete with all ancillaries and loom, didn't bother with the computer as I will be using a Motech. I also got an engine crane this morning and put it together tonight to get the motor out of the ute and under cover.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So this will be off to the engine builder as soon as he is ready for it so some magic can be worked, including swapping the T25 for the T28, if this hasn't already happened.

Next on the list  is a rotisserie to prep the underside of the car, this should be sourced in the next week or so to get a quick start on the prep and then paint the underside and interior so I can get the ute back in the garage.

Things are looking good for a September shakedown at this stage as long as the fun tickets keep stacking up nicely.

#50 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

You wouldn't have happened to get that from Martin Marshall by any chance?

#51 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

I would say there aren't too many Martins in Kyogle with a shed load of Nissan bits, so then yes......

I hope your not going to tell me horror stories, I found him to be great to deal with and a nice bloke, very different from some others who drive around in S13's and 14's.....

#52 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

No he's a friend and a Z32 enthusiast. I have bought tones of stuff of him and have bought over z parts and diffs from Japan in his containers. Absolute legend!

If anyone wants motors, boxes front cuts or parts from Japan he is your man!

#53 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

He did say if there was anything I needed to let him know. After the motor was loaded and we were chatting, I was almost convinced to take him into town to his storage shed to get more bits. The 40 degree temperature stopped that though.....

Definitely will be annoying him again for some little bits and bobs in the next few months.

And re the Z32's, yes he did admit to the sickness.  ;D

#54 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Well. looks like January is the time of year to get stuff done....

I picked up a cheap Chinese rotisserie today and put it together this evening after finishing work.
Posted Image

Tomorrow I will be putting the shell onto the rotisserie and then I can start stripping the underside and wheel well of all the sound deadening to match the interior. Well the interior will need the cold gal spray paint taken off, but will be no problems with a stripping disc and wire wheel.

When I get paid my outstanding invoices from November and December it will let me pay myself enough to get 4 litres of KBS stop rust in off white and the associated cleaner and prep wash plus a heap of stripping discs with a few more wire brushes and go to town. I am planning on using the off white for the interior, cage, underside and engine bay.

When ready I will have to find someone to throw a coat or two of white over the hanging panels and roof and rear quarters. I will then look at putting green diamonds on in a reverse of the old Zed, but this will also depend on how the sign writing goes. My company logo is a bastard due to the overall length of it and fitting on the side of a car.

#55 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Spent an hour or so today getting the car up onto the rotisserie, so all systems are go.

I will be starting the stripping of the underside and wheel wells next weekend, and if it goes as well as expected will also make a start on the engine bay.

When finished it will be very white  ;D

So here it is in it's new home for a couple of months. It better not hail with the ute having to live outside for a while.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The doors will be coming off before the great strip off.

And also some more detailed photos of the cage.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Get some etch primer over those welds!
Our wet and humd summer will be a ugga!

#57 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Yep, done that.

Most will come back off when I run the wire wheel/sand paper over the cage to get rid of the surface rust before I paint it with the KBS.

Next photos should show it all shiny and then white.

#58 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Well a bit of progress for the weekend.

Saturday I picked up a new seat and side mounts, a OMP HTE XL, made for fat people like me and I fit in it very well. Also picked up a window net kit made for the Porsche Cup cars, it is a very elegant solution that doesn't need any welding to the cage, plus a couple of tow straps to use rather than the old type solid tow hooks.

Also looks like I have a reliable source of tyres for the new car as I ended up spending about an hour and half at the race shop talking to a couple of Porsche GT3 cup racers, and the Pirelli fronts they use are the same size I used on the Zed, so hopefully in the next couple of months I will start to have a stream of tyres lobbing at my place. At the price I pay I can afford to use a set a meeting and then throw them away, so very happy about that.

I also stopped in at Option 1 to see how Paul was going with his S15 and we are at about the same stage in our builds. I got some good ideas for how to mount the seat looking at the various cars in the shop and it also looks like my rear cradle will be modified and the alloy uprights plus all the suspension, bar coil overs, will be ready in the next month or so.

Today, I would say the neighbours weren't all that happy with me. Four hours with the grinder and 5 flapper wheels later the underside of the shell looks like this.....
Posted Image
Posted Image

That'a all I could get off the bottom with the car in that position using the grinder. I have about another 4-6 hours work to finish off the bits the grinder couldn't get and to finish the wheels wells off and the engine bay.

I should be picking up the rust coat paint this week so as soon as the underside and engine bay is done, that will be painted and then it will be time to move onto the inside.

I do miss the old cars of the '70's, the two Zeds and the 180B SSS I did this to previously were bitumen coated so a heat gun and scraper was all that was needed and the stuff fell off in big chunks that were put into a bucket. The S14 has what looks like bog under the stoneguard paint and it varies in thickness from a few mm to around 10mm in places. The garage is covered in dust and will stay that way until I'm finished the underside and before painting.
Posted Image

#59 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Well, an estimated 25 odd hours of grinding and the shell was clean on the outside of any sound deadener, well about 98% of it anyways, there is always some you can't get to..... I'm sure the neighbours loved the last few weekends when the grinder and drill were going constantly for 6 or so hours and then a few afternoons here and there for a couple of hours.

Anyway the underside and engine bay is now white. I have replaced the sound deadening and the paint under the car and in the engine bay with KBS Rust Seal in off white.

The before after gurneying the shell clean and wiping down with prepsol it was time to start painting.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I used brushes to paint on as I am doing this in suburbia, and I also don't have a compressor or the suitable facilities to spray paint. This stuff is suitable for brushing on, and the finish is pretty good if you have some patience and plenty of brushes to throw away.

I am not after a standard of finish suitable for show cars, a 20 foot paint job is god enough for what I want on the underside, in the wheel wells and the engine bay for it to do its job, which is basically to protect the body from the shit and crap that will be thrown up by tyres and and other cars on the track. It can be hosed down and will look just as good as when it went on.

Then engine bay after two coats.
Posted Image

Coverage is pretty good over the black where all I did was scuff the paint with some 320 paper to key the surface for the KBS to stick to it.

Posted Image
The underside. I left a bit out as it is up behind the fuel tank and won't get hit with crap, the original paint was in as good condition as when it left the factory.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Rear wheel well all nice and white.

Posted Image
And finally, the fron wheel well, again all nice and white.

I was looking at doing the interior and cage in the KBS as well, but with the finsh that is possible and the style of paint, I will get the inside and cage sprayed in conventional automotive paint and just do the floor in the KBS where the finish isn't as important as being a hard wearing surface is, no girly carpet for me in this car....  ;D

Now just waiting on some others to get the bits needed for the rear suspension and the front suspension arms. All will be adjustable and rose jointed, thanks to the great aftermarket support for the S chassis, very cheap too when compared to other cars. I will also end up with GTR alloy rear uprights and the rear cradle braced and strengthened before bolted in with solid bushes.

I also picked up a S15 SR20 complete with gear box for a great price, the only bits that didn't come with the deal was the starter motor and engine harness, which isn't needed anyway and the starters are cheap enough and plentiful second hand to grab one when I need it. The 6 speed box is sold already, so some dollars will be coming back to the build. I now have plenty of bits to choose from for the engine build and starting to get a small bank of spare parts building up.

#60 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Looking good Matty :)
I agree, the KBS Rust Seal is a great product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users