122 replies to this topic

#21 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

What the heck is going on in QLD? Don't you have race fabrication shops up there?!

That's 4 people that have asked me to do work for them, while I'm up there :o

We do Lurch, but not with the customer service that you do/don't provide......

#22 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'd just rather throw money at you Lurch ;)

#23 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

A quick update on the 200ZX -

First off picked up a rear bar today for $35, ebay is my friend, fits nice and easy and is light without any of the reinforcing, but I plan to be quick enough not to be centrepunched ;D

Hopefully Dimitri now has a Nismo copy body kit for me which should arrive in March as long as someone sorts out someone elses hissy fit at PI.....

I am also waiting to back from a bloke on ebay who auctioned off a front clip for a S14 Series 1, basically all panels and lights. I was the only bidder at $250 but it has now been over a week and haven't heard back. I will keep messaging, SMSing and calling, I want my cheap bits!!!!!!

And now for the update of the fun stuff.....

One advantage of buying the shell was that one of the worst jobs required to prep a production based car for serious circuit racing was 90% complete.

Thankfully, the sound deadener was removed by the previous owner using dry ice to freeze the deadening material which is then hit with a hammer to shatter it, or using a screwdriver to lift large pieces from the floor. Alot easier and quicker than the old heat gun and scraper I used on my Zed and 180B SSS when preppeing them for Marque sports and IP many years ago.

Unfortunately only the back half of the car was cleaned up properly and then painted with a "cold gal" paint to stop any further corrosion of the surface. This left me with the front half of the car unprotected and with remnants of deadener and sealerto clean up along with surface rusting from a few weeks in Brisbane's recent humid weather.

To clean up the rest of the floor it was out with the $15 Bunnings reversible drill and a couple of wire wheels, a 40mm cup wheel and a 75mm standard wheel. I wouldn't recommend doing this with a good drill, nor doing it at night in the suburbs, the neighbours may complain  ::) The reversible drill was handy to get the wheels to cut through paint and sealer better in tight corners, rather than have to turn myself inside out to reach corners.

After the floor was basically bare metal with all surface rust removed and as much of the sealer in joins and the deadener I could get out the floor was then vacuumed to get rid of most of the debris left by the stripped sealed, deadener, paint and rust. As per the instructions on the spray can, I wiped down the floor pan with mineral turps to get rid od anything left and any oils from my hands as I stumbled around inside the shell. A couple of coats of the "cold gal" was laid down to make the inside of the car a pretty silver, and more importantly stop any further corrosion whilst the shell sits for the next few months until I can get the cage installed.

I have to wait until the Charger is finished as there is about $20k left to go on that to finish it. Once it's on the road then it will be full steam ahead for the S14 as the wallet can cope. One advantage of the time delay is that I can designa  cage that can take the most advantage of the rules to tighten the chassis up as well as protect me the in the best possible way. To meet the rules of prod sports I can't have a tower to tower cage, but with the location of the rear subframe mounts and rear strut tops I should be able to tie the rear suspension into the cage. The front of the car will be stiffened by seam welding the shell at the same time the cage is fabricated. This should give me a great base to get the car handling really well and to make the most of the tyres I am planning to run, as a hint I will have to fit 9" and 10" wide wheels underneath the guards and run around 5 deg of negative camber on the front to make the most of them. The diff may have to be something a little shorter than the 4.3that seems to be popular with the drift boys.

#24 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Hissy fit?
Fortunately it is sorted, unfortunately i dont get to take what i wanted to take.
Fortunately i do get to race in Sc field, in an Sc car.
Might treat it like a Marque Sports race, just to liven up the pom brigade a bit.

President of VHRR phoned me today to advise the Z will be accepted.

Mate Brian Henderson is taking three Datsun 2000's down in transporter, his race Group T car will be running in regularity field instead of where it should be, with proper genuine cars.

Yes, still hissying!

#25 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hissy fit?
Yeah that clown with the german back to front car that will try to kill you when you turn into a corner at anything faster than walking pace.....

Might treat it like a Marque Sports race, just to liven up the pom brigade a bit.
But Marque Sports racers are all gentlemen, not like those ruffians in their old bangers and funny flat caps ;D

President of VHRR phoned me today to advise the Z will be accepted.

But what about the Chook Cooker, or no way that would be finished in time????

Mate Brian Henderson is taking three Datsun 2000's down in transporter, his race Group T car will be running in regularity field instead of where it should be, with proper genuine cars.
That sucks, and the organisers wonder why people consider other events organised by non traditional flat cap racing promoters......

#26 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

Still waiting for the body kit, guy called me and arranged it but nothing yet. Peak traffic from there to me is a shyte at best!

#27 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

A quick update on the build.......

I had a win today, picked up the brakes for the car for a very cheap $350, thankyou E-bay.

Brakes I will be running will be R32 GTR calipers and rotors up front with R33 twin pot rears out back. I got the four calipers and front rotors. A simple bolt on mod, now to chase up a a master cylinder, which are cheap and plentiful, though I may still yet spring for a twin MC set up from Wilwood or Tilton. Will work out what will suit me best later down the track. They also came with pads, but won't be needing those.

A quick check on the Hawk website and then the selling site in the states, and the pads are about $200 a set for the fronts and $150 a set for the rears in the compunds I will most likely use delivered. Also interesting to see that DBA rotors are cheaper in the states than here delivered for Australian built rotors. Go figure ::)

at the end of the year I also bought a seat and harness for good price, Sparco  Pro 2000seat, Sabelt 3" 6 point harness, for about $1000. The old seat will be kept for ride days and I'll use one of my old harnesses for he silly seat when needed as it is in good condition, just out of date.

Once the body kit arrives (thanks to Dimitri and Jason, and there will be something in the post for you in the next week or so Dimitri), I will be able to play a little with the kit to fit up and look at building a ghetto front splitter. I have also bought a wing off ebay that doesn't quite have the angle of attack i would like, but for $70 to my door I can't complain. I will fit a bit of angle as a gurney flap to help with downforce, but also minimising drag, well that's the theory anyway.

I am researching the cage design I want and who to get to build it later in the year, as well as welding up the shell to make it nice and stiff.

After the cage is done i will be then looking to source a donor car/front cut for the extra bits I need. The price of S14's now is making the purchase of a fullcar pretty attractive at the moment with cars available for around $4k as going things with rego. I will probably go this way as the front clip from e-bay didn't come through, the seller pranged his car and needed the bits to fix it.

Whilst it is slow progress there is progress. The Charger should be in colour in the next few weeks and then it's just a matter of putting it together.

Attached Thumbnails

• 28946_c95dbea0b432ad6cd3a700dd2d745f245085e1fb.jpg

#28 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Come and get your plastick thingies!
I'm at Lakeside this weekend, then away for a bit next week, so this week is beddar!

#29 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Finally an update....

After being made redundant in June for some reason I had to do sensible things and put the payout into things like the mortgage  :-\

I finally have a full time contract until March next year at least, with the opportunity to go to full time, on a pretty good rate, it matches my last position pay and covers petrol for the 90km each way commute. In losing the ute with the job and not wanting to use the missus' car, because it's new and the roads and trucks would destroy it and the haidresser car would be too uncomfortable to drive that far I had to get somethinng suitable for the commute.

In my thinking I will use this for up to 6 months, buy another ute and then I will have the donor car for the mechanicals for the racing 200. It is pretty standard with only a pod filter and big exhhaust. It goes quite well when the woosh kicks in at over 4k and is comfortable and was cheap. I ended up getting it for $6500 with the old owner delivering it to Briisbane from the Gold Coast this arvo, could have bargained harder for the cars I saw down south but it would have cost me more than the difference in airfares, ppetrol and time to get it home. So thanks for the offer from John and Simon to look at a car for me in Mexico, but I found one here.

And the best thing was the owner was not a phully sick hectic flat brimmed wearing retard with next to no grasp of the english language in either its written or spoken form. A handshake deal payys most of the money and the balance on me getting the key in my hand, no fuss from either end. This was how buying a car should be.

So hopefuly in 6-9 months there will be a working be to swap out engine gear box and drivetrain as well as brake lines and fuel lines and get the ghetto racer up and running.

Attached Thumbnails

• 33390_bf61b417e2a23ca07c4c9802de5f2bee58037139.jpg

#30 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

You paid 6.5k for a S2?!
I hate you!

#31 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

You paid 6.5k for a S2?!
I hate you!

But it has 280k on it, but a well looked after 280k, I have the full service history and I am the 3rd owner.

#32 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'm with Lurch, damn you!

#33 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

S1 = "Soft Eye"
S2 = "Angry Eye"

THAT is excellent buying, and you are gonna rape the biatch in 6 months!
Heathen!!!

Then again the Hektic Crew are cheaparses when it comes to forking out coin, so there are some very good bargains out there!

Couple of dirt rally guys i know pick up Seroes 1's for 2 to 4 k, do what is needed to rally them, roll them into an absolute ball of crushed steel and plastic, then just pick up another.

These things ARE the Datsun 1600 of today!

#34 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Well when this one came up, what could I do???

I was looking at S1 cars and at the same price they were all butchered anyway and way too many alarm bells going off. The xtra I paid for this one, I'm still out in front on the other road registered ones I saw advertised down south as I don't lose time and money getting it home.

Today will be give it some oil, as it's due for a change, new brakes front and rear, as they are nearly shot and then fill it up with petrol and go for drive on the mountain to get a feel for it.

#35 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,12313.0.html
  • Tagline:Sports Cars

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

nice S14.  :'( that is getting pulled appart for the racer. but oh well its good to see a S14 on the track.

i had mine for 14years. still running strong. no turbo or engine rebuild and running 1bar boost for last 8 years. Great cars.

you got a good price looks clean even with 280K on the clock. i paid for the last s14 i had auto rough 6.5k but lot less kms. Converted it to man and still made bit on it.

keep us posted on both cars to few SR20DEt freaks outhere.

and if i need any bits let me know. got few spare S14/S15 bits here and there.

#36 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Well I took for  run today and cheap chinese tyres make for fun in the middle of an intersection when the woosh comes on...... These will be replaced in the new year.

Also did oil and brakes ready for roadworthy next week and will get a full service and check in the new year at the next oil change. Brake pedal is a little low for my liking but a bleed of brake fluid should sort that out. Also is a non ABS car so makes it easier for the transfer and fitting up of the GTR brakes for the new one.

Finding a few marks here and there, but for a car it's age and milage it is in really good nick and the important bits are good, no horrible rattles on start up, no water leaks anywhere and only a bit of oil weeping out od gaskets, but the oil rag will fix that over the weekend.

One comment was made today that as I start collecting bits and pieces I will end up with more cars and this one may stay on the road, but we'll see...... ;D

#37 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Cheep ching chong rubba!
I got a set of S14/R33 rims here, with near newish good quality rubber!
$250 the four ( rubber alone new cost 600!!!)

If you need a hand bleeding etc, you'll need to bring it to me!

#38 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Cheep ching chong rubba!
I got a set of S14/R33 rims here, with near newish good quality rubber!
$250 the four ( rubber alone new cost 600!!!)

If you need a hand bleeding etc, you'll need to bring it to me!

What ya doinng tomorrow??????

#39 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

It's been a while since anything has been able to happen with the new race car.

In the last few months I have picked up a few more bits for the race car:
  • complete rear cradle with diff and brakes
  • a couple of sets of mirrors
  • a spare driver's door
  • a couple of sets of tail lights
  • a set of headlights
  • a gearbox

Suspension plans have changed a bit with MCA offering an affordable option for coilovers. I will be getting their mid spec, red series, at $2800 a bargain for what you get.

The red car was too good to wreck, so yesterday a young bloke from Toowoomba gave me a wad of cash and he drove it away, got to phone the insurance company tomorrow to cancel the cover on it.

So this now means that when Lurch has the time he can come up North for a holiday and I get a nice cage signed off for CAMS use. When Lurch was up in July we had a good chat about the cage and we should be both on the same page for what I want in terms of safety and also the secondary effect of chassis stiffening. We have identified how to tie the rear suspension into the cage and we are also going to mount the seat and harness to the cage for what will be effectively a safety cell for me. This will also probably mean I need to get another seat that is better suited to use with the HANS device I now have.

The way things are looking I should have the car finished in the second half of next year and testing with hopefully having a run in the last couple of rounds of the Prod Sports series and then a full calendar for 2015.

I want to get the cage done as soon as we can so the I can say the car is started and will then keep pushing me to keep going, even if I can't spend too much on it until the chugger is finally finished, which is getting closer, but a little frustrating as it is a fill in job to try to keep the costs down on the checque book restoration.

#40 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

With bloody Lurch getting work at the wrong time I have found someone else to throw my money at for the fabrication work.

The car should be heading off to the fabricators on Friday morning for the cage and some seam welding in the engine bay and the 2 seams in the floor pan.

I don't know what is worse stripping out sound deadener or body sealant. At least with sound deadener you can have fun with the left over dry ice. The seam sealer is just a pain, paint stripping wheel first, then wire brush and then finally scrape out the seam with my pointy dentist pokie thing type tool. At least it is for only about a dozen seams all up and has only taken about 5 hours so far and another couple of hours tonight to finish off. Then it's fit the steering column, dash support and dash loosely for the fabricator and it can be dropped off.

I also got a nice delivery from the UK. A full set of plastic windows for the S14 from http://www.plastics4performance.eu/.

A tick over $1000 to the door and they look factory and will fit. The rear screen is 3mm thick, the rear quarter windows are also 3mm thick and the door windows are 4mm with aluminium stiffeners fitted. These should still work in the standard mechanism to allow them to be raised and lowered using the standard electric motor and switch gear.

They also do kits for Zeds. Whilst you can get cheaper, I doubt you will get the same fit. Perfect for replacing rear hatch glass as the window will have the compound curve of the standard glass.

Plan is for the cage to be built, the shell welded in the engine bay and the two floor seams and then when I get it back my Christmas break will be spent painting the engine bay and interior in POR15 in a satin white and hopefully be able to get the body work done and the exterior painted, or close to it. After that it will be time to get the hanging panels sorted in either 'glass or plastic and painted.

Suspension won't take long as I have the subframes ready to go and will by all the arms and so on off the shelf and a set of MCA red coilovers will finish it off.

So whilst progress is slow it is still moving along. If the work keeps coming as it is I should have the dollars to be hopefully thinking about taking it out for a shakedown in about 12 months time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users