The New Toy!!!! - S14 Production Sports Car, 2B Spec

PZG302

• 1 month later...

A quick update on the build.......

I had a win today, picked up the brakes for the car for a very cheap $350, thankyou E-bay.

Brakes I will be running will be R32 GTR calipers and rotors up front with R33 twin pot rears out back. I got the four calipers and front rotors. A simple bolt on mod, now to chase up a a master cylinder, which are cheap and plentiful, though I may still yet spring for a twin MC set up from Wilwood or Tilton. Will work out what will suit me best later down the track. They also came with pads, but won't be needing those.

A quick check on the Hawk website and then the selling site in the states, and the pads are about $200 a set for the fronts and $150 a set for the rears in the compunds I will most likely use delivered. Also interesting to see that DBA rotors are cheaper in the states than here delivered for Australian built rotors. Go figure ::)

at the end of the year I also bought a seat and harness for good price, Sparco  Pro 2000seat, Sabelt 3" 6 point harness, for about $1000. The old seat will be kept for ride days and I'll use one of my old harnesses for he silly seat when needed as it is in good condition, just out of date.

Once the body kit arrives (thanks to Dimitri and Jason, and there will be something in the post for you in the next week or so Dimitri), I will be able to play a little with the kit to fit up and look at building a ghetto front splitter. I have also bought a wing off ebay that doesn't quite have the angle of attack i would like, but for $70 to my door I can't complain. I will fit a bit of angle as a gurney flap to help with downforce, but also minimising drag, well that's the theory anyway.

I am researching the cage design I want and who to get to build it later in the year, as well as welding up the shell to make it nice and stiff.

After the cage is done i will be then looking to source a donor car/front cut for the extra bits I need. The price of S14's now is making the purchase of a fullcar pretty attractive at the moment with cars available for around $4k as going things with rego. I will probably go this way as the front clip from e-bay didn't come through, the seller pranged his car and needed the bits to fix it.

Whilst it is slow progress there is progress. The Charger should be in colour in the next few weeks and then it's just a matter of putting it together.

post-199-144023668748_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Finally an update....

After being made redundant in June for some reason I had to do sensible things and put the payout into things like the mortgage  :-\

I finally have a full time contract until March next year at least, with the opportunity to go to full time, on a pretty good rate, it matches my last position pay and covers petrol for the 90km each way commute. In losing the ute with the job and not wanting to use the missus' car, because it's new and the roads and trucks would destroy it and the haidresser car would be too uncomfortable to drive that far I had to get somethinng suitable for the commute.

In my thinking I will use this for up to 6 months, buy another ute and then I will have the donor car for the mechanicals for the racing 200. It is pretty standard with only a pod filter and big exhhaust. It goes quite well when the woosh kicks in at over 4k and is comfortable and was cheap. I ended up getting it for $6500 with the old owner delivering it to Briisbane from the Gold Coast this arvo, could have bargained harder for the cars I saw down south but it would have cost me more than the difference in airfares, ppetrol and time to get it home. So thanks for the offer from John and Simon to look at a car for me in Mexico, but I found one here.

And the best thing was the owner was not a phully sick hectic flat brimmed wearing retard with next to no grasp of the english language in either its written or spoken form. A handshake deal payys most of the money and the balance on me getting the key in my hand, no fuss from either end. This was how buying a car should be.

So hopefuly in 6-9 months there will be a working be to swap out engine gear box and drivetrain as well as brake lines and fuel lines and get the ghetto racer up and running.

post-199-144023700093_thumb.jpg

S1 = "Soft Eye"

S2 = "Angry Eye"

THAT is excellent buying, and you are gonna rape the biatch in 6 months!

Heathen!!!

Then again the Hektic Crew are cheaparses when it comes to forking out coin, so there are some very good bargains out there!

Couple of dirt rally guys i know pick up Seroes 1's for 2 to 4 k, do what is needed to rally them, roll them into an absolute ball of crushed steel and plastic, then just pick up another.

These things ARE the Datsun 1600 of today!

Well when this one came up, what could I do???

I was looking at S1 cars and at the same price they were all butchered anyway and way too many alarm bells going off. The xtra I paid for this one, I'm still out in front on the other road registered ones I saw advertised down south as I don't lose time and money getting it home.

Today will be give it some oil, as it's due for a change, new brakes front and rear, as they are nearly shot and then fill it up with petrol and go for drive on the mountain to get a feel for it.

nice S14.  :'( that is getting pulled appart for the racer. but oh well its good to see a S14 on the track.

i had mine for 14years. still running strong. no turbo or engine rebuild and running 1bar boost for last 8 years. Great cars.

you got a good price looks clean even with 280K on the clock. i paid for the last s14 i had auto rough 6.5k but lot less kms. Converted it to man and still made bit on it.

keep us posted on both cars to few SR20DEt freaks outhere.

and if i need any bits let me know. got few spare S14/S15 bits here and there.

Well I took for  run today and cheap chinese tyres make for fun in the middle of an intersection when the woosh comes on...... These will be replaced in the new year.

Also did oil and brakes ready for roadworthy next week and will get a full service and check in the new year at the next oil change. Brake pedal is a little low for my liking but a bleed of brake fluid should sort that out. Also is a non ABS car so makes it easier for the transfer and fitting up of the GTR brakes for the new one.

Finding a few marks here and there, but for a car it's age and milage it is in really good nick and the important bits are good, no horrible rattles on start up, no water leaks anywhere and only a bit of oil weeping out od gaskets, but the oil rag will fix that over the weekend.

One comment was made today that as I start collecting bits and pieces I will end up with more cars and this one may stay on the road, but we'll see...... ;D

Cheep ching chong rubba!

I got a set of S14/R33 rims here, with near newish good quality rubber!

$250 the four ( rubber alone new cost 600!!!)

If you need a hand bleeding etc, you'll need to bring it to me!

What ya doinng tomorrow??????

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since anything has been able to happen with the new race car.

In the last few months I have picked up a few more bits for the race car:

• complete rear cradle with diff and brakes
  • a couple of sets of mirrors
  • a spare driver's door
  • a couple of sets of tail lights
  • a set of headlights
  • a gearbox

Suspension plans have changed a bit with MCA offering an affordable option for coilovers. I will be getting their mid spec, red series, at $2800 a bargain for what you get.

The red car was too good to wreck, so yesterday a young bloke from Toowoomba gave me a wad of cash and he drove it away, got to phone the insurance company tomorrow to cancel the cover on it.

So this now means that when Lurch has the time he can come up North for a holiday and I get a nice cage signed off for CAMS use. When Lurch was up in July we had a good chat about the cage and we should be both on the same page for what I want in terms of safety and also the secondary effect of chassis stiffening. We have identified how to tie the rear suspension into the cage and we are also going to mount the seat and harness to the cage for what will be effectively a safety cell for me. This will also probably mean I need to get another seat that is better suited to use with the HANS device I now have.

The way things are looking I should have the car finished in the second half of next year and testing with hopefully having a run in the last couple of rounds of the Prod Sports series and then a full calendar for 2015.

I want to get the cage done as soon as we can so the I can say the car is started and will then keep pushing me to keep going, even if I can't spend too much on it until the chugger is finally finished, which is getting closer, but a little frustrating as it is a fill in job to try to keep the costs down on the checque book restoration.

• 1 month later...

With bloody Lurch getting work at the wrong time I have found someone else to throw my money at for the fabrication work.

The car should be heading off to the fabricators on Friday morning for the cage and some seam welding in the engine bay and the 2 seams in the floor pan.

I don't know what is worse stripping out sound deadener or body sealant. At least with sound deadener you can have fun with the left over dry ice. The seam sealer is just a pain, paint stripping wheel first, then wire brush and then finally scrape out the seam with my pointy dentist pokie thing type tool. At least it is for only about a dozen seams all up and has only taken about 5 hours so far and another couple of hours tonight to finish off. Then it's fit the steering column, dash support and dash loosely for the fabricator and it can be dropped off.

I also got a nice delivery from the UK. A full set of plastic windows for the S14 from http://www.plastics4performance.eu/.

A tick over $1000 to the door and they look factory and will fit. The rear screen is 3mm thick, the rear quarter windows are also 3mm thick and the door windows are 4mm with aluminium stiffeners fitted. These should still work in the standard mechanism to allow them to be raised and lowered using the standard electric motor and switch gear.

They also do kits for Zeds. Whilst you can get cheaper, I doubt you will get the same fit. Perfect for replacing rear hatch glass as the window will have the compound curve of the standard glass.

Plan is for the cage to be built, the shell welded in the engine bay and the two floor seams and then when I get it back my Christmas break will be spent painting the engine bay and interior in POR15 in a satin white and hopefully be able to get the body work done and the exterior painted, or close to it. After that it will be time to get the hanging panels sorted in either 'glass or plastic and painted.

Suspension won't take long as I have the subframes ready to go and will by all the arms and so on off the shelf and a set of MCA red coilovers will finish it off.

So whilst progress is slow it is still moving along. If the work keeps coming as it is I should have the dollars to be hopefully thinking about taking it out for a shakedown in about 12 months time.

• 2 months later...

Some progress on the S14.

The photos below show the cage in progress, bloody high priority big dollar jobs getting in the way >:( Any way the cage will be finished in the Christmas break and I will have the car back home hopefully before I start work again in the new year. The cage will be fairly comprehensive and stiffen the shell nicely as well as give me lots of protection if the worse happens. The shell was also seam welded in the engine bay around the strut towers and the two floor seams in the passenger area. As the rear suspension is mounted in the cradle and the cage ties in the front cradle location and the top strut mounts in the parcel shelf I don't need to worry about doing anything in the boot.

I have also teed up all the suspension except for the coilovers, which will be ordered when I know the exact set up for wheels and tyres I will be running. The new Achilles slicks look to be interesting at a very good price, or I can continue with using the Porsche Cup tyres I previously did.

Any way all new rose jointed suspension arms for the front and rear will be arriving hopefully mid January. I will also be installing alloy R32 uprights for the rear and getting the rear cradle reinforced and solid mount bushes installed at the same time. It will cost me a bit more, but it will be done quicker than I can and the welding done right. Basically I drop my cradle off and then pick up the rear cradle all set up and ready to bolt into the shell.

I also had a good chat with the engine builder and some budgets for various build types will be worked out in the next few weeks. The rules are quite free in some areas, but very restrictive with having to use the standard turbo and manifolds, so the engine is compromised in what can be done and compromises need to be made to come up with a good package that provides a bit of power, but more importantly, a nice drive-able torquey motor.

I am now on the hunt for a couple of cheap SR20's complete and suitable for rebuild, my brain will hurt trawling some of the sites to find cheap motors.

If work keeps going as it is I will have the dollars to keep the build going and hopefully be looking at shakedown testing around the end of September 2014.

post-199-144023738071_thumb.jpg

post-199-144023738075_thumb.jpg

post-199-144023738086_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The shell is home this morning, the towie just dropped it off.

The cage is complete and turned out great, now for me to get the car on a rotisserie and finish the stripping of underneath and the inner guards before painting all but the outside and hanging panels in KBR/POR15 in white. And the price was a nice surprise to, I suppose cash helps ;D

I also found a S13 blacktop motor at a good price a couple of hours drive away, so gives me something to do tomorrow. It's a standard motor in allegedly good condition, so a great base for the new race motor. A build and budget is being worked out at the moment and hopefully won't be too far from starting off. I also have a T28 on the way to swap out the T25 that the S13 comes with. Another reason for getting this motor is no VVT, so a bit simpler as I will be using bigger cams anyway, plus the head is slightly better than the VVT version for what is looking at being done for it.

Excuse the poor phone photos, but here are some of the cage and seam welding....

IMAG0107_zpsc4c12dcf.jpg

Seam welding in the front.

IMAG0108_zpscb263acd.jpg

And the other side

IMAG0112_zps1f8d5cd4.jpg

Cage from the front

IMAG0111_zps492569d0.jpg

Steering mount to "knee breaker"

IMAG0110_zps15f28d31.jpg

Back of cage. The strut mount in the parcel shell is plated and attached to the mount point of the rear bars on both sides.

IMAG0109_zpsd7cce0cc.jpg

Blurry shot showing intrusion bar and another view of the steering column mount and tag between pillar and tube, which is also done for the main hoop and B pillar.

The cage is a great design and will make the chassis nice and stiff as well as keep me safe, hopefully I won't have to test that part out.

I am also getting a new seat in the next week or so, depending on availability will be local supplier or from UK, to better make use of the HANS device. I will be getting an OMP HTE XL. A very comfortable seat that fits a fat bastard like me in the hips and also the shoulders. I will also be getting a great window net kit that is used on the Porsche cup cars, It will work out about $150 dearer than other kits, but the way it is made is much better, doesn't require any welding to mount it and is a much better solution for when the net is not in use. So if anyone wants a brand new Sparco PRO200, see this thread....http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,13649.0.html

All in all some big progress has been made and further progress will be made in the next couple of months.

Mike, a guy by the name of Dave Avenell. He has his own fabrication business and sub-contracts to Australian Diversified Engineering at Aspley. As well as cages he has built quite a few off road baggy and truck chassis, so knows his stuff.

If anyone in Brisbane is looking to get a welded cage done I would highly recommend Dave to do the work. He charges a fair price for the quality and time taken, and is very easy to deal with.

Well as said in the post from the other day, things are moving quickly. A JDM BB T28 turbo turned up in the post this morning and i had a nice drive from Brisbane to Kyogle to pick up a standard black top SR20 from an S13.

Motor was standard and came complete with all ancillaries and loom, didn't bother with the computer as I will be using a Motech. I also got an engine crane this morning and put it together tonight to get the motor out of the ute and under cover.

IMAG01151_zps87725725.jpg

IMAG01161_zps9f4fa00f.jpg

So this will be off to the engine builder as soon as he is ready for it so some magic can be worked, including swapping the T25 for the T28, if this hasn't already happened.

Next on the list  is a rotisserie to prep the underside of the car, this should be sourced in the next week or so to get a quick start on the prep and then paint the underside and interior so I can get the ute back in the garage.

Things are looking good for a September shakedown at this stage as long as the fun tickets keep stacking up nicely.