#41 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

On the last of the US s30 model, the 280z, the federal impact bumpers, front and back, weighed some 90 kilograms alone!
Plus the extra wiring and ancilliaries for the injection setup. No wonder it was the "fattest" of all two seters, a true genuine landbarge!
My group Sc 280z is weight stripped to 1125 kg, fueled ready to run, no driver.
It still rocks and rolls on track, compared to the 810 kg Datsun Sports 2000, and that runs a full chassis with separate bodyshell!

Be interesting to compare the power to weight ratios between the two, do you know what they are?  Also, from the little I know, the 2000 is a built race car from way back, a bit different to your 280Z. Whatever, my land barge will cream them both :)

#42 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

For anyone who wants a read of Zeds from 240Z - 370Z a nice hard cover booklet (Cheap) to show you the way.

http://www.pitstop.n...uery/plu/21777/

Lynton 8)

#43 positivetennis

positivetennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

It would be good to compile a book based on the Australian perspective of Zed cars. I know this would be difficult but not impossible, but what would be good is if  we could get a collection of standard cars that were of concourse condition of the following models in both manual and automatic form:

240z- 1971 and a 1973                    260z - 1975  and a late 1976 in both 2 seater and 2+2

280zx - 1979 and 1982                    z31 - 1985, 1986 and 1988                    z32 - 1990    350z/370z

If you could get all these models together for a weekend, and do some testing, both against the stop watch and driving impressions log descriptions, we could get some interesting data. The biggest challenge, apart from getting the cars, is finding cars that are a true representation of the model. This could provide some type of standardised comparison. It would be a 2012 perspective which would be interesting. The other thing is that I've collected many motoring articles over the years and each magazine posted different 0-100 times which can make things confusing. Just as an example, when the 1979 280zx came out the manual 0-100 time was recordered by one magazine to be 11.3 which is not great. Then in 1982 I think SCW magazine did the same test and got 10.6secs, which is quite an improvement. Then manufacturers figures can conflict with road tests. For example when the Subaru SVX came out, Subaru qouted 7.6secs but Motor magazine could only manage 9.2 at best. So you can see that some type of standardised testing would be useful.
By the way there was one book produced about 20 years ago called "Super Profiles", an English book that covered 240 and 260z and had performance figures for each year which was quite detailed at the time.Does anyone remember this book. It profiles Lynne Godber's car which was a good read.
The other thing to consider is to also try to relate data to other cars of the era. For example in the 1970's any car that went to 0-100 under 10 secs was considered quite sporty. If 11.3 sounds slow for a 280zx consider that the VB Commodore with a 3.3 red motor did it in 16.4secs, which improved to 14secs for the VH and only got a bit quicker when the VL came out. You had to get a 4.2l V8 to get a VH to get under 9secs.

#44 Bozo

Bozo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Tagline:53-681

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

2+2 is such an ugly car

where is lurch btw?

#45 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

If someone really wanted a 240z/260z 2 seater, but wasn't willing to deal with the rust, restoration process etc.. Or spend vast sums of money on something already restored I'd probably recommend the early SA22(FB) RX-7 or a MK1 MX-5. I would say they are the best alternatives at a low price range and still represent great value.
[/quote]

yup. aint that the truth. I have a real soft spot for series 2 & 3 RX7s. 
Mr Tennis, I like your figures on a VH 4.2/253......you should have been on here 5-6 weeks ago when a chap wanted to drop in a 253 he had lying about into his zed !! I stuck up for him as a I owned a VH-SLE back in 1989 & I got sentimental !! :P
have you found a zed yet ?

#46 positivetennis

positivetennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Have not found a zed yet Chris. Would love to find a 77 coupe but there were only 99 sold Australia wide so its not going to be easy. The other option was an 83 280. The 240z in Eltham, Victoria looks interesting but I don't know whether anyone here on the forum has seen the car and can comment.

#47 Patch

Patch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Quote:By the way there was one book produced about 20 years ago called "Super Profiles", an English book that covered 240 and 260z and had performance figures for each year which was quite detailed at the time.Does anyone remember this book.

I have this book Super Profile by James Morris.

#48 positivetennis

positivetennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yes I used to have a copy of it. Was a very good book which included many specs of the cars from different years, and a story about Lynne Godber's red 240z.

#49 be-zed

be-zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

There is another book that may be of some help and this has history about Australian clubs and some of their  members .
A Legend in its Own Time “ Zcar”
By Ben Millspaugh
He was a guest speaker at the 1993 Z Nationals in Sydney. Lynne also features in this book

#50 Patch

Patch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Bring you to my first line on the second post. Quote;
This sought of discussion may not always come out well, as it starts "mine is better than yours"
and notice the poster has made 2 posts and not seen again.

#51 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

At the end of the day Zeds are a commodity just like Art, Real Estate or other Cars in the end it is all a matter of a personal opinion...........end of subject! Lynton 8)

#52 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

At the end of the day Zeds are a commodity just like Art, Real Estate or other Cars in the end it is all a matter of a personal opinion...........end of subject! Lynton 8)

best post of the tred ;)

#53 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Yeh I cop crap all the time about my 280ZX but then give back plenty too. But it's all fun as far as I'm concerned but some people have forgotten the art of the piss take and take it all emo personally :)

#54 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Who is Past member?
Shame that you'd step back into the darkness after 1000+ posts and change your username.
Then get upset about something like this? Not having a go. Just curious  ???
I'm certainly not feeling ostracized on this forum just because I drive a 280ZX. 

The basis of this thread is to discuss the differences, opinions, pros and cons between the early generation Z's.

#55 Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Tagline:www.wazcars.com

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Past Member is/was galderdi.

#56 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Past Member is/was galderdi.

Is this a piss take then or what?
Have I been stooged again?

#57 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Is this a piss take then or what?
Have I been stooged again?

its definitely galderadi

#58 Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Tagline:www.wazcars.com

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Yep. I still had the old window open with his username against that post.

If you think 280ZX owners cop a ribbing, try owning a Z31 - in the top 10 worst cars ever made according to Jeremy Clarkson.

Datsun decided to fit a larger engine, and ruin it (the 260Z). Then they put an even bigger engine in there and ruined it even more (the 280ZX) and then they gave up with the idea of making sports cars and concentrated instead on trying to make the worlds nastiest car. Something they achieved with the 300ZX (Z31).

After Nissan killed off its 240z they managed to get the whole idea of sports coupes entirely wrong for the next 12 years. The 260 was worse than its predecessor while the 280 was worse than anything that had gone before it. Including Ghengis Khan. But even it was not as bad as the first incarnation of the 300. Anyone that knows anything about cars should always put this in their top 10 worst cars of all time.

#59 positivetennis

positivetennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

As one independent said in parliament last year,"Whatever does your biscuit! Yes its all about perspectives. Each model in the zed line has its advantages and disadvantages depending on so many factors which many of the posts here have highlighted. I've got that book by Jeremy Clarkson where he lists his favourite cars and even he has cars in there which are interesting to say the least, Pug 504 estate, A Ford Transit Van, and a Rover SD1. I'd rather a 280zx or z31 compared to those cars. Tony Davis has the 280zx in his Lemon Books. Also in SCW June 1974 there is an article which praises the 260z 2+2 styling over the 240z, including commenting on how much improved the handling and ride was over the previous model. I think you can debate this topic for as long as you like (I have), thats why I think we need to rate cars according to certain criterias and give acknowledgement to the timing of what was written. Things I liked in 1985, I may sometimes see them differently now. From a personal view one thing that originally attracted me to zeds was the exotic timeless style of the cars. There is something about a zed, 2000gt, E-type, Opel Gt, Daytona's Dino's and XK8's that have this classic beauty about them, (They are Art) even if their performance is not the best. For example a WRX, Evo, M3 are magnificant performance cars, but to me they look like two door sedans. A 2000gt has some fantasy and rommance about them. I wouldn't mind having one of each zed model in my garage in new condition. I am sure we could brainstorm and come up with positives and negatives of each model and get someone to summarise and post in a commonly asked questions about zeds".
Back in 1986 the z31 turbo was quite an impressive car to own with all the features it had, it was the most expensive Japanese car in Australia, very upmarket at the time and the turbo had some urge. Even today, if you see a mint one going around it still looks elegant whereas many other 86 cars have dated. Just look at a 1987 Pintara/Skyline and you'll see. Yes many z31's would have quite a few kays, the turbo housing is probably cracked, the engine mounts slippping, and you'd be having to work very hard on changing that bastard temperature sensor unit or even spark plug number 5. However if your 2m tall you will think that this car is heaven compared to a 370z I tried to get comfortable in the other day.
The 280zx is almost as roomy, easier to work on, has that elegant style, the seats will feel very soggy now, but the one touch power window a clever touch. Youll notice quite and improvement between a 79 and an 83 as far as driving feel, but all the same you'll wish it had more power, as your dads old VL will feel more sprightly.
You'll feel good in your 240 and 260z as you stop at the lights and see the reflection of the car in the shop window and marvel at the styling. The seats though will feel very slim and the doors making you feel very close to that truck that just went passed you. You will enjoy the sound they make but not the fumes or rust, but love the idea that you have a classic in original concourse condition.

#60 kobes

kobes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Tagline:LIL ZED

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

Yeah, can understand how owning a 280z you would feel bit like an outcast in the zed world.

When trying to join the Zed car club here in WA they only admit 240z / 260z, when i asked why not the 280z the answer was well you have to draw the line somewhere!

Personally i think many laymen could not tell the difference bewteen the 240 260 280 zed series...  it kinda pissed me of at the start how the 280z that obviously belonged to the family so could be considered such at outcast that it would not even be considered to become a member in a zed car club.

Having said that have felt the opposite with other zed "no official" zed clubs... the 300zx club in western australia makes you feel at home as long as there is a Zed somewhere on the car or in ya garage...

It still amazes me that alot of people try and dis-associate the 280z from the zed family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users