Brake Booster, Rebuild or Renew.

Hey guys,

About 3 months ago I ventured into the front hilux 12+8 vented front brake upgrade, followed by the R31 rear upgrade after my brakes gave out on me driving home from work one afternoon.  I did some investigating and found a rear line and front line to be dry and no fluid had been passing through to the caliper and drum, obviously for some time...  No idea why I had not noticed this. 

So while I was under there I thought I would give her some love and replace all the bushings with a nolathane kit from the states, get both hilux front and rear R31 calipers reconditioned, all new brake lines, new JB1419 master cylinder, new matching shortened clutch cylinder, new ball joints, new tie rods and new rotors and pads. 

After all the metal fabs and lines have been prepared and it was time to put it all back together.  This is where the fun started.  I'm not sure about the other who have ventured into this mod but I must say every time I have had to troubleshoot something throught this journey it ended in bleeding the master cylinder and brake lines.  I must have done this five times by now, wondering why the peddle was soft, the pressure wasn't there or it just felt too squishy... maybe just a bit paranoid because it is the brakes and all.  Today I happily signed off on everything only to test the brake booster and THIS was a problem.  It worked just as well if the car was running or not.  Now I've added some pics for someone to help me either replacing or refurbing this booster.  I was so keen to get it out and back on the road only to find this probably being the major issue in the first place.  Any help will really be appreciated as she hates being on stands in the garage  ;)

Cheers

Luke

003.jpg

005-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

0154.jpg

0132.jpg

0164.jpg

0172.jpg 

Nice work on the brakes, I'm thinking zedman240 (dimitri) would have a booster. I had on sent away last year to NSW to get refurbished and it came back looking a millon dollars.

I do recall someone else on the forum having one done too. Keep bumping this post all week as i know someone will have one.

Just dropped it off this afternoon at STOP Masters at Brendale.  They refurb them on site with a full sand blast and paint inside and out all new seals and kit for $275.00, Should be ready in 3 days.

You beauty!  I'll be pulling up hard this Christmas  ;)

The booster is back in the car and it looks sensational.  I finally have the brakes I was dreaming about before I headed into this conversion.  Took her for a strap today to bed them in, but because I have done so much else under the car during the past 3 months the brakes were not the star today... After getting new the ball joints, tierods, nolathane bushings throughout the front end, the steering is just beautiful.  I had a bit of a wobble before, thinking it was the steering rack and since the upgrade it feels so smooth on the highway with no wobble at all.  Well worth the time and effort.  Thanks again for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Luke