14 replies to this topic

#1 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Tagline:Hiroshima Screama

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

I have a bit of a problem with my headlights. Maybe somebody will be able to help me out here.
My headlights suddenly stopped working. My dash and taillights work no problems, but nothing up front.
I ran a bypass switch that allowed me to turn on the high beams so they are working up the front end (power and earth are making it to the beams.

Any ideas? Why has my headlight disappeared? And why would the new switch turn on the highbeams rather that the indicators?

I am running h4 globes, does this create a problem? They were fine for 14 months or so....

#2 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Have you checked the low beam filament in the bulbs? I've found the cheaper version low beam filament blows easily, maybe due to vibration or bumps. I now have Phillips H4 bulbs that have not had a problem.

#3 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Have you checked for power and/or corrosion at the fusible links under those opaque plastic covers under the bonnet near the brake master cylinder?

#4 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have in fact checked both the fusible link and light bulbs (Phillips diamond vision globes). The high beams do not work under normal operating conditions, only when I add a switch directly putting power to the high beam loom.

#5 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

have look at my reply in your car journal, that may help.

Basically check all wiring and if not already done set the lighting circuit to run through relays and upgrade all wiring from the lights to the battery and relays with some 20 amp wire and take all the load off teh light switch. 40 year old wiring gets pretty ordinary for handling anywhere near what it's rated at.

#6 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Tagline:Old Member

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

;D G'day Steve,mate I've had the same problem but located where it existed in mine. Turns out that where the wires are cncted inside the shroud that encases the steering clmn the black earth wire had come adrift. RE joined same & lghts work fine now. I am going to install relays as recmnded by PGZ. Best way to check if you have same problem is to open the lghts cnctn at the front then use a test lght across each feed to earth situation on car, if you get a glow from each wire you have the same problem. If you are after any further info regarding this give me a ring. How's your motor coming along & is the tension wrench suitable for your needs.

Regards: Alan.  :D

#7 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

have look at my reply in your car journal, that may help.

Basically check all wiring and if not already done set the lighting circuit to run through relays and upgrade all wiring from the lights to the battery and relays with some 20 amp wire and take all the load off teh light switch. 40 year old wiring gets pretty ordinary for handling anywhere near what it's rated at.

So here is my problem if anyone can help. About to fit relays etc to H4 lights but here lies the problem. I have two wiring diagrams, one from Atlantic Z Car site and one from Benny and have looked at others on this site but they are different in what wires go to what terminals on the relay. Car is a 75/260 2+2, and I will try to explain what wire colours are where and hope someone can help.

LH side body.                LH side light

RW                                RW

RB        RY                R              RB

RH side body                  RH side light

RW                            RW

RB        RY                R            RB

Now I need in laymans terms what wires to go to what nos on the relays. I know 30 is the main wire from battery to relay and what AMP wire is best to use? To explain my plugs RW goes to RW,      RB goes to RB and  R goes to RY.

Switch terminal has RY    RW    and    B[earth]

Call me dumb but when people post wiring diagrams they should mark the colours in what is in the car not what they think will do with pretty colours. I am no IT expert or auto sparkie so any help is greatly appreciated. 8)

#8 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Peter,

If you are available next weekend, you are more than welcome to come up to my place and we can rewire to suit the relays. It is probably easier to do it that way than to try to explain over the interweb or phone.

Matt

#9 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:04 AM

Peter,

If you are available next weekend, you are more than welcome to come up to my place and we can rewire to suit the relays. It is probably easier to do it that way than to try to explain over the interweb or phone.

Matt

Sounds good to me if Saturday is ok with you.    Sunday is out for me.

#10 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Peter,

Saturday is fine, will PM my address.

#11 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Lights are BRIGHT. Matt I wired it up as per Atlantic Z Car diagram and they work a treat. Just have to tidy up the multi coloured wiring I now have under the hood. 8)

#12 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Ongoing now.
I have purchased a new headlight stalk and indicator stalk. Both have been proven to be working be the sellers.
I currently have everything working with my existing equipment except the headlight globes (dash and tail lights are fine).
The wiring to the headlights are fine as I can bridge the loom inside the cabin to create light.
Fuses are also fine.
The globes are 60/55 and shouldn't blow anything.

OK

The new indicator stalk turns my indicator switch into the high beam switch so I can have high beam but not low beam and indicators.
The new headlight switch makes me lose all lights and functions except windscreen washers.

Does anyone have an idea at all???!!!!

#13 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Round two.
Both headlight switches now work to a point where the tail and dash lights come on but not the hi low beams.
The new indicator switch definitely turns the indicators left right switch into high beam on.
So I guess. the headlight switch is not to blame here.

#14 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi Steve
Im not sure if i understand you correctly but, it sounds to me like the switch or switches may have come from a car with a different wiring loom? And when you energize the right or left indicator it is actually sending current down a headlight conductor.
Do you think this is possible?
If so I think it means you might just have to reconfigure the wiring at the plug.

Hope I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase.

Cheers
Mick

#15 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

No, the wires, colours, and plugs are all the same as the existing. I think it must be a dud switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users