Photo

FOSC at Easter Sports car race meeting, and regularity events for more normal ca

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

Bit of a heads up, but the mob that have run the club level Easter meeting at Bathurst, Eastern Creek in past years have announced a Easter Meeting for 2012,,, but,,, its not at Bathurst or EC, ,, it is at
Wakefield Park.

Yes not overly inspiring, but it is Easter, and Wakefield is two hours closer to Melbourne than Eastern Creek is, just up the Hume freeway!

Hew Qldsers may go, and I reckon a few NSW's should go, they will run events for full on Sports Car races, BUT for those on basic type licenses, AASA or CAMS ?? and have a pretty normal stockish type car, basic safety requirements, they will no doubt run Regularity type events, which are still pretty good fun, without the race aspect.
Ill post up more when I find out, Ill prob attend this, bit of a drive from Qld but!!

#2 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Is the easter bathurst event ever likely to happen again?

#3 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

Another mob are running an event at Bathurst, from what I've seen more expensive and harder to get into (for the regularity anyway) than the FOSC event. http://bathurstmotorfestival.com.au/

I was at a hillclimb at Bathurst last November and they were touting for regularity competitors for Easter, I put my name down and never heard anything after that  :-\. From the looks of the website, the combined Porsche clubs have pushed their way into a fair chunk of the regularity section,  leaving the NSW Road Racing cub with the rest of the regularity events.

After doing Bathurst in 2010 with FoSC, I've done regularities with them since and have always enjoyed them, plus they're usually cheap-ish. Although its no Bathurst or Eastern Creek, Wakefield isn't too bad. I find it a good track to push hard on, there's really not much to hit unless you are going at 11 tenths.

Besides, roadtrips are fun  ;D

I'll hopefully be heading down there at Easter if I ever get my gearbox conversion finished.

#4 tir33d

tir33d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

I am actually considering the Wakefield 300 in March.
I like Wakefield but I think regularity down there would be hard, I can do 1.06 on my own, but easy 1.10 with a bit of traffic, but with 30 odd cars on the track I think I regular time might be a real challenge. You would prob end up setting a 1.14 or something and be tapping the brakes regularly. Don't know if that would be much fun.
Do you know how many cars? I heard that last year for the Wakefield 300 there was something like 43 starters. Most track days I go on there are only 15 cars on the track at once.
As for the gearbox conversion - harden up boy.

#5 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Wakefield 300 looks interesting, but a bit above my skill level / car preparation level / "ability to hide my motorsport budget from the wife" level.

Last FoSC regularity I did at Wakefield, they had close to 50 cars split into two groups (ie the fast group and the slow group). So 20-25 on the track at one time. I find I do best as the slow car in the fast group - I just hold my line and make the faster cars find their way around (and upset their lap times in the process  ;D). I usually nominate my time as about 1 sec slower than my usual "best" time then drive at 95% - its easier to lap consistently at near race speed in a slower car than to drive a fast car at considerably under race pace.

I'm hoping to get down to the Philip Island 6 hour relay in August, so this would be a good "practice" to hone the regularity skills.

And yes, I should harden up with the gearbox  ::). I'm trying to shoehorn an S15 6 speed in behind the L-series to get a "cheap" close ratio box and its just dragging on. Thinking about it, last time I drove the car (and broke the old gearbox) was LapZ at the Lake in May  :-[

#6 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Wakefield is a goat track compared with Bathurst and Phillip Island so no interest from me. But I do intend to do a Bathurst event this year, it will be expensive particularly as I don't have a tow car but it's something that I have to do :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users