19 replies to this topic

#1 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:00 PM

I'd like to do something CHEAP to my stock exhaust system, basically i love how the car sounds when the window is down, but even that could be louder without being annoying, so was just wondering what would be a cheap decent way to make this happen, as in could the muffler just be cut off and the piping extended? would this sound kinda similar to your setup gav? (Even though i can't remember it really, just its loud :D) i dont want to get some reverberant ricey exhaust coz my bro has one on his car (came with it) and it drives us both nuts, particually him on long drives

i remember you saying your exhaust is around 116db gav, this would be in a particular rev range yeah? do the cops give you looks? because that would be my main concern and also i think the legal limit is loud enough hehe, but then it would probably get to expensive for something i want to change down the track when i do an engine conversion :)

also i'd like to disconnect the engine fan and have one thats opperated by a switch, and was wondering how hard this is to do.

any opinons would be appreshiated, thanks -evan

#2 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

i remember i got my 2.25inch exhaust done on the Z for 150, that was just for straight piping from the extractors, to the single straight thou muffler....sounded fine and was loud and tough

gavs sound is unique as its twin pipes that are straight,

#3 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:11 PM

Oh man it took me ages to get things right when it comes to exhaust.
It took two mufflers & 2 "hot dogs" to get mine to sound the way I like it, ie minimal reverberation, deep but not excessively loud to wake up the entire hood when on the gas.
Firstly I removed the stock exhaust & manifold & fitted extractors or headers as the US guys like to call em. Cost & $180.00, (Note; be prepared to make up some silly washers to clamp down on some of the extractors out there, I had to do this. From memory you did the same with prior last 260, Nate!?).
Next was 2.25 inch pipe straight through larger size hot dog to big ricey "muffler" which a small cat could quite easily have crawled into. big mistake! way too loud and lost all bottom end power with a head splitting reverberation at about 2500 rpm.
Solved the probem by reducing the hot dog and changing the muffler to what I think was called a "TURBO FLOW" muffler with a 2.5" dumper which also helped reduce fumes entering the car from rear which is still a slight problem I'm trying to fix!
I think all up the correct set up for me costed about $550.00, but the sound is just right especially at idle and also when openned up down the street. hmmm...I've got a lot of growing up to do! hehehe

Cheers
Sulio

#4 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:47 PM

when i was meaning cheap i was meaning less than $100 hehe, so yeah dam cheap, but now i think about it we put some shinny end on our commodores exhaust and even that was like $50 so i guess i'll just wait, i dont really want to spend that amount on something i'm hoping to change :D but then again $150 aint that bad so thanks for letting me know

yeah my car really stinks like exhaust at the moment, as my lights aren't fixed in properally at all (still hoping to get the set off you Sulio if thats cool, but then again 240 rear lights look better everytime i look at them) and then i dont have that interior panel in either not that it would do much in my opinion but still...from everything i've read there isn't that much that can be done about it except replace all the rubber, put a downwards facing exhaust on and also the rear spoiler? -evan

#5 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:02 PM

Evan, your welcome to come and pick up the spare 260 rear lights I have however the rubbers have long since dissapeared and your best bet if your on a budget would be to buy a close fit rubber from Clarkes rubber and just cut out the rubber gaskets to suit!

Sulio

#6 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:26 PM

for 50 to 80 you can get the middle muffler removed and a peice welded in no problems...

that will make the car louder.. but also drone a bit more on freeway speeds...

#7 NR240

NR240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:49 PM

I would wait if I were you. Save up some cash and do like the other guys have done. Otherwise it will sound crap (I know guys who drill holes in their mufflers etc, it just doesnt cut it)

I have HM Headers, 2.25 exhaust, one hotdog and muffler. Sounds tough. Dont go too big on the exhaust as backpressure is an issue. It is interesting Sulio that you mentioned those "washers" in order to match up the header base plate with the inlet manifold (due to the difference in thickness). Initially I did not do this and found that all of my head studs would bend over with the heat. So I had these offset washers machined up. I have no issues now

The little things we do!......

Attached Thumbnails

• 119_.jpg

#8 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 05:50 PM

Yes well apart from the studs bending I also blew one manifold gasket without the washers modified to clamp down properly. I used my grinder at home and I've never had an issue since.

#9 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

Hey a timely tip as I will be putting the extractors on soon.

Do you remember the size of the thick part of the washer

Cheers
Warren

#10 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:15 AM

warren... the thick part was the original size of the washer as you just se the original washers and grind them as below

all you need to do is with the washers, the are around 1cm thick around that, you need to grind .5cm off, half of the washer, so that one side of the washer is thicker than the other so you get pressure on both objects or else the gasket will blow every time you rev it to 6500...

if you don't get what i am saying im sure you will when you put the extractors on, or i'l make a litle diagram

i blew 3 gaskets in 7days back when i was 18, the good ol days, do it right the first time and you won't have to take evrything on and off my me and sulio had to do so many times.....

#11 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:20 AM

Nigel photos above show what needs to be done pretty clearly. Just use the original washers that are on the studs now.

#12 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:15 PM

Thanks guys, sounds like you saved me some gaskets and a lot of time.

Warren

#13 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

When you say some extractors, which ones in particular? I have 6 into 1 headers into a 2.25 collector, i was told at one stage they are copies of works extractors..... My zed is still a garage queen, so hasn't troubled me yet - although i got it to rev to 7,000 no worries after fitting them - thats on an efi l28 too...

#14 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

I bought mine 2nd hand so not sure as to brand however my motor is stock L26!

#15 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:41 PM

yeah i told my family my plans and they said cars to loud already when i get home at night as they can hear it from when i'm up round the corner :D so yeah the reason i wanted to do something so cheap is so i can keep saving as at the moment doing stuff to the l26 isn't important to me as i'd really like to do a swap eventually so saving for that, and whatever i get distracted with on the way :roll: hehe

#16 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:23 AM

Spending $50.00 on your exhaust won't get you much Evan. Your better off saving up a bit for something that would be a permanent mod then in the long run you will have actually spent less.
If I were in your shoes I would save up a couple of hundred dollars and get some Super Low King springs installed. You'll get a firmer ride and the car will look alot more aggressive especially that you've got your new spoiler on the front. I picked mine up for $200.00 a set of 4 but you will prolly find em cheaper 2nd hand on ozdat. But I'm pretty happy with ride hieght and I think alot of the guys here would have gone for the same set up. Your shocks bushes etc are another thing of course but it's a start.
Anyways just my 2cents worth.

#17 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:46 AM

I wasn't very happy with the low king springs i had on the front - looked good, but I only had about 20mm of shock travel...... back to standard, planning to modify the strut tower and run z31 externally adjustable Konis...

Anyone want a full set of brand new Koni Reds, unused on the road? Only fitted to my 260, rears will also fit a 240 (fronts have had the cartridge modified)

#18 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:23 PM

yeah i'd like to do something to improve the handling but if i do an different engine then the weight distribution will change and so on so thats whey i'm only really looking into cheaper things and apperance mods so rims hopefully within a year, i'd like to get flares but its a bit pointless when i really dont need wider rims right now hehe. when i get my tax back i'd like to get some strut tower braces...

#19 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

"It's a full set of four, they'll drop the car around 1.5" and are a 20% increase in rate on the stock springs.

Fronts are 175lb and the rears are 180lb units."

should i buy them? how much would u pay for them as they are second hand, i think they are around 4 years old. they are for 260z 2 seater i believe but will work in 240z also...or mayb the other way around?...how hard are they to put in?

thanks -evan

#20 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:35 PM

My guess on price would be about $80.00.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users