Japanese GT Star S30Z on Speedhunters

RB30X

The car in the original post has just about everything I don't like that gets done to these cars, but it pulls it off well, and looks great. I think that is a stock speedo with a new face, look at the ODO, and Trip ODO. ;)

The grey and black one provided in a later link, is one of my favorites, and have always loved the blacked out trim look. I'm not a fan of chrome to start with, so the less there is, the better IMO. :)

• Administrators

ZOMG!

TC24-B1Z

It was then on to the OS Giken booth...and this is where you will have to bear with me as I have to nerd out big time now. What you see here is a complete L28-based engine that OS Giken will be offering from sometime this year. Based on the old TC24-B1 motor, now renamed TC24-B1Z, it uses an L28 block bored out to 89 mm and a lengthened 86 mm stroke thanks to the fully counter balanced forged crank and H-section connecting rods which boost capacity to 3,208 cc.

Up top is a completely revised TC24 twin cam 24-valve head. Other cool details include a cam gear timing conversion, which eliminates the L28's chain drive. In fact OS Giken was working on a similar limited edition gear conversion for the Nissan S20 engine a few years back when I dropped by their factory. If you recall I posted a few pictures of it here, as you can see there are no chains to be seen! This conversion eliminates the slack chain-based timing systems have, not to mention the potential for failure which becomes very important if you consider that this L28 engine here revs to 10,000 rpm, 1,000 rpm up from the old engine which was built in 1980.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/07/27/gallery-gt-gt-a-quick-stop-os-giken.aspx

Compression ratio is up from 11:1 to 11.5:1. This display unit was running big Weber carbs with carbon fiber funnels, but sports injection can also be offered. And on to the numbers, this monster kicks out, 420HP at 9,000 rpm and 289 lb/ft of torque at 8,000 rpm. Fit this to an S30, Hakosuka or a KenMary and you have yourself nothing short of JDM vintage perfection!

Chatting to Okazaki-san, the president of OS Giken, he was still not sure how many complete engines he will build, nor how many refreshed TC24-B1 he will offer. Only 11 head kits were built back in the day so you can imagine why they have become the most sought after L-engine upgrade out there.

420HP in a S30! - Please

420fwhp claim is Bulls*it.

Don't think they are claiming 'whp'.....

The 420 quote is on an engine dyno ( I'd bet it's actually 420PS at the flywheel ) and it's the injected version, with full management.

OSG claimed 325PS at 7,400 rpm and 33kg/m at 6,100 rpm for the original TC24-B1 ( 2870cc,  11.0:1 x compression on carbs ) back in the early 80s, and people called that "Bullsh*t" too....

Personally I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. They are a class act.

I guess if you buy one, and it doesn't make the figures claimed, you can claim some money back.....  :)

• Administrators

if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it ;D

So I would say lots......

Probably true, but if that power figure stated is correct then it's actually not a bad deal if the price is where I think it might be.

• 7 years later...
On 2/29/2012 at 7:39 PM, gav240z said:

I have to ask does anyone know how much this kit will cost all in?

Old thread but for those that have a big win in lotto https://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/bproduct.php?category=engine&subtype=Engine%2C+Head+and+Short+Block+Assemblies&brand=OS+Giken&series=&name=TC24-B1Z+Complete+Engine

~10% off - be quick ;-)