S13 coilovers into S130, 280ZX

luvemfast

I've decided that the new PMC powerplant is going to show that the suspension in my car needs work.

So have decided to look into doing the S13 coilover transplant.

Clearly after adjustable height and damper.  ;)

Anyone know a good place to buy some? Second hand will suffice.

What should I be on the lookout for?

thanks, Simon

nissansilvia.com always have used ones coming up for sale. I believe the rear just bolts in but you will have to make the front work. Most of the japanese brands eg. HKS, TEIn can be rebuilt. I have heard good things about these coilovers

http://nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=510090

Fairly Cheap for the functionality you get.

Thanks Benny boy

For anyone interested

1 kg/mm = ~56 lb/in

Spring Rate Equivalencies

700 lb/in = 12.5 kg/mm

650 lb/in = 11.6 kg/mm

600 lb/in = 10.7 kg/mm

550 lb/in = 9.8 kg/mm

500 lb/in = 8.9 kg/mm

450 lb/in = 8 kg/mm

400 lb/in = 7.1 kg/mm

350 lb/in = 6.2 kg/mm

300 lb/in = 5.3 kg/mm

250 lb/in = 4.5 kg/mm

Can I get an expert opinion on what spring rates would suit my car for trackwork and spirited driving?

(not full on race, ie bone jarring)

I have just gone from 250lb to 300lb in my 240z it has turned out to be too hard and the car now severely understeers so I am planning to go back to 275lb but for a 280zx I'd suggest 300lb should be about right due to the extra chasis weight.

I picked up a pair of HKS Hypermax performers 7kg & 8kg for a GDB WRX off ebay in mint condition for $450.

Just remember that you dont have to get S13, you just need the correct OD on the shock body and a top mount that can be swapped for the zed type.

Check out the thickness of the shafts on these bad boys:

4658839-8209441-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1282274878888

Just gotta scout around, i couldnt buy good nick second hand coilovers in Japan for that much and trust me i looked! I went to Hasegawa in Tokyo and everything for S13 R32 was flogged and shiver or it was brand new and they wanted $1500+

Here is a Hybridz how to on an S130:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/94002-how-to-install-s13-coilovers-on-280zx-and-poly-bushings/

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine has a Taiwanese company making some weld on coilovers for R31 skylines which are almost identical to the Ground Control front coilovers and could make for an easier conversion:

DSC02205.jpg

get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg

I have a set in my car and they are pretty good and at $1300 it's not too expensive either. They have the same abilities to adjust camber, height and damper stiffness without removing them from the car like most conventional coilovers and you get to choose your spring rates. Considering S13 has the same front top hat PCD as R31 and R31s have 3 bolt rear top hats as well it might make for an easy swap if everything lines up (I don't know how similar S130 front suspension is to Z31 but I know that Z31 has the same top hat as R31)

Close but no. These coilovers you cut your original strut down and leave about an inch of tube, slide the new damper tube over the top and weld it to the base foot. Rather than grind brackets off an s13 coilover and machining the knuckle to fit the larger diameter tube. This means less machining needs to be done plus you aren't welding an oil/gas filled tube

Edit: Scratch that had another look at the S13 coils. The option I suggested above just has the brackets already removed. If you are going new then I would say it's worth it but otherwise backyarding ftw

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

I've found a mint set of Tein coil overs. But the fronts aren't base height adjustable.

The rears are practically new. But they have a 4kg spring rate, about 220lb

What spring rates would be best suited?

I was thinking 350lb fronts and 300lb rears  :-\

Probably is 14kg Simon, and not unreasonable. I ran 900lb springs in my 180B 3j street sedan. When we went to IPRA to drop the ride height the good old ghetto way used as we also wanted to up the spring rate to keep the rear trailing arms as close to a live rear end as possible. I think we ended up with around 1200lb  springs, and concussion every time I drove over a white line, let alone a bump.

Being a track car you are going to want at least springs in the 300lbs region.  I think the coilovers i got are 400 and 450lbs. But i wouldnt get the non height adustable ones anyway its a waste when you can get the good ones for pretty much the same price.