253 into 260z

Z8253

hi guys i have a 260z with no motor and had a 253 laying around i made up engine mounts and got it bolted in wondering if any of u guys have done it before and how did u go with making the trans crossmember?

big help thanks guys

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahaha if you wont to wreck a good car go for it  a stock L28 auto will be faster

What Peter is trying to say is 253's are old and slow and dont make any power and use heaps of fuel.

It's probably not worth it mate.

While we all admire the diversity of tastes that are out there regarding our Z cars, I have an idea that could be a win-win on this one.

Perhaps the engineless 260 could be traded on a tinnie, then use the 253 as a boat anchor to moor it to.

Once the 260 is all fixed up with a downdraft stromberg 186, Z8253 could trade rides in the tinnie for rides in the 260. Everyone's a winner!

Just kiddin Z8253. You gotta take a few hip and shoulders if you wanna be different round here! I am with the masses on this one though...I can't imagine why you would bung a 253 in a Z...they are a bit rare now thank goodness, and you would be better to sell it to a Holden nut who needs one, and put a good L28 in your 260. That will be a better thing, and preserve the value of the car better.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of putting V8's in Z's, but if you must, make it a modern LS1, or better yet, a Nissan V8 so at least you retain some lineage in the car. Otherwise they just end up a one-off kit car that has almost no value to anyone.

Cheers

When I was a teen back in the late 70's and aunt of mine drove a Prem with a 253, it was gutless but I always admired the note the small V8 produced.

Last year I wrote off my wife's Soarer V8 after a car did a U turn in front of me and I had to go off road to avoid it (Known as a Lexus SC400 in the States) this motor is all alloy, quad cam with a bullet proof bottom end 4 litres in capacity and 195 kw out of the factory in 1992.

I was offered the car back for $1000.00 and was considering this as a possible transplant into my Zed before I came across the AMG V6.

If you wanted to put in a small capacity V8 with great potential this is what I would be looking at, over at "Planet Soarer" (Aussie web site) there are some very switched on guys who have a swag of mods to get these things to really sing with big HP gains, and many have been converted from auto's to manuals using Supra boxes.

I have to agree with Jamo, a 253 is a boat anchor, but I disagree on the point regarding retro fitting our cars with non L6's and ending up with a valueless kit car, just my opinion, but a motor can always be removed and replaced with an L6, as an example ZG flares on the other hand destroy a body for keeps and I think that done badly this has more of an effect in turning a Zed into a valueless commodity.

Cheers

John

I dont think that jamo is talking about conversions like yours when he says fitting different make engines to a zed john. I think he is more saying that fitting a lesser engine like a holden red motor will devalue it. Im not sure i agree about zg flares devaluing a zed either because they are a period correct modification.

I also believe the wheel arch mod for zg flares is also reversible in fact i have kept my wheel arches just in case i want to go back to original

I don't think that Jamo is talking about conversions like yours when he says fitting different make engines to a zed john. I think he is more saying that fitting a lesser engine like a Holden red motor will devalue it. I'm not sure i agree about zg flares devaluing a zed either because they are a period correct modification.

I also believe the wheel arch mod for zg flares is also reversible in fact i have kept my wheel arches just in case i want to go back to original

chevs arent any better........

wheres that michael jackson anim eating popcorn......when you need it?

No need for Michael eating popcorn here, Mick and i understand each other.

What i was getting at Mick is that a major body mod like ZG flares where you physically have to remove a fair chunk of the 1/4's is more extreme than a bolt in bolt out engine swap, I agree flares are very period, but unlike yourself that has kept your arches, many haven't and even if they wanted to return the 1/4's to OEM it would be a major effort.

I would have loved to have gone ZG flares, but I just cant bring myself to go at the 1/4's with a can opener, if they had rusted out severely along the arches it would have been a no brainer, but luckily mine were pristine and it just didn't make sense doing it.

I read Jamo's comments a bit differently as far as the motor is concerned, but interpretation on here is just that, a lot is lost in translation, I didn't take offense, each to their own, I just wanted to point out that a motor swap can always be reversed, that's why I am holding onto my matching numbers L26, if ever anyone wants to change it back (I wont be in my lifetime) they have that option.

in my experience, 253 MQ patrol chops a L28 MQ patrol. if you could get the 253 in cheap, why not. should go plenty hard and sound good at the same time. chews fuel, who cares? can always swap a 308 in later, although apparently good condition aussie pattern 308 are getting hard to come by.

what gearbox do you have?

yea but ive been in a cooner vb commy with 400bhp from a revier than usual 253 red, rebuilt only with slight mods ala flat tops, carby and headers.

would have no troubles stickin it the ass of a gen3 commy......

but again, my 66cc pushbike would pull harder......

back on topic guys.

dude go for it, if you have one and it will cost you nothing but time, do it and stick it up all the nay-sayers,

nat0

PS i got a 283 chev sitting on a pallet which came out of my 240z, a bit too heavy with iron block, heads and th350...

Well i had old nissan v8 in my car for years was fun and at best it was only as good as a 253 So go for it

there are better options but if you got it why not use it plenty room in engine bay so u dont need to cut any metal out so if suits later when u have more cash Go the LS1 sweet motor well thats what i did anyway

As for crossmember easy to make and bolt to floor or rails

can send drawings of one if u need

good to see you taking interest in a zed good luck with build

Mick

THE CAR CAN NOT BE REGESTED IT IS GOING TO BE A BURNOUT CAR AND I DONT HAVE $$$$ LIKE YOU GUYS TO SPEND ON MY CAR!!!

JUST ASKING FOR ADVISE NOT SMART ARSES WITH BIG HEADS THINKING THERE KING DIKS!

mate we where giving you good reasonable advice.. no need to be a twatt.. it would be cheaper in the long run to put a l28 in it as it will bolt straight in and needs no fabrication. and a stock l28 has more hp than a stock 253 so the advice given was legitimate,, so pull your head in or move on

Ben

I have to disagree, sorry mate, I don't think anyone went out of their way nor purposefully to have a go at the idea, rather just stated the plain obvious, a 253 is an anchor plain and simple, and spending dollars on it would have been a waste of time even if Z8253 only wanted it as a burn out car, which then begs the question, why do it to a Zed ?

Apart from Pete and Jamo, both with repeatable performance pedigree, (Sorry if I missed anyone else) yes we are all back yard mechanics, but passionate ones and I don't think any of us deserve to be called

SMART ARSES WITH BIG HEADS THINKING THERE KING DIKS!

You post at your own peril, if you don't like the responses, then "Theres your coat, theres your hat and theres the door"

What im getting at is from the get go people could have been more gracious that includes EVERYONE that had something negative to say about his idea!! This forum used to embrace new people and ideas and im not surprised when people come back with responses like that!!

I wouldn't say Everyone shot him down. I took the time to locate the link with the only one on here that i knew had a holden V8 fitted.

Took me about 1/2 hr to find and i suggest he contact the member. I'm +1 for the conversion, go for it. As for the language well that's up to the individual if they want to come across like that. Doesn't really help anyone and isn't that what this forum is all about?