L28T build

peter mc

• Administrators

well big weekend in the shed some pics for the l28t people out there

Fantastic looking engine good work Pete.

A few questions?

- What kind of harmonic balancer is that?

- At what RPM do you think this set up will make full boost?

- What type of ECU will control it?

- Finally what kind of gearbox will go behind it?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gav

the balancer is a BHJ from the USA Rebello sell them, nice part

boost will be about 20psi and it should see it all by 4000 and peek power will be 7000

ECU is a Autronic the ECU will be tuned in WA by Aaron

and Aaron has converted a VG30 box to go behind it, so he wont have any problems

this thing will look grate when its finished the exhaust manifold will be hpc and the inlet may be as well and all hoses are brade

The BHJ damper can be purchased direct from BHJ Dynamics. Similar pricing to the ATI one.

Autronic SMC is the ECU, 500R CDI w/ M&W coils(Currently running on the L24et in the car)

Gearbag is a RB25t box -> 300zx bell-housing -> Austin Hoke adapter, trying to figure out clutch now, calling Jim Berry on monday I think.

So excited to get this back and in the car :D Then I can start breaking stuff and suffer the wrath of the other half

The BHJ balances are a nice bit of kit. When the one I ran was fitted it made a huge difference to how the engine revved, I was changing gears 50k or so metres earlier at Lakeside with no other changes than than throwing the standard balancer in the bin.

• 3 months later...

not really, we had some trouble with sourcing a suitable intake, now waiting for a Lonewolf intake to be made, once peter has it he's gonna finish the small things, then send it back to me. Unfortunately i'll be moving soon so it wont be going in straight away. Will be nice to have it back just to stare at, waste some moments contemplating how awesome it will be :)

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance u would like to tell us what clearances ur using on the bottom end?

Also im thinking of doing the same setup but with a set of 2860-7 garrets I've got laying around. the head I've got is an e88. Is this still useable or should i just look for a p90?

Thanks.

ps the exhaust manifold looks like a work of art.

And is there any reason u didn't go multi tb ?

well there are diffrent types of E88s 240 type and late l24e .... both have small chambers the Late one has a really nice chamber for NA but is way to small for a turbo set up and the and 240z one is no good for the job ...

p90 is the best for the job by far, 53cc makes it perfect for turbo and its design lets you run more timing  than any other Nissan head

as for the itb yer they work , but make it lots harder to tune and cost lots more , is there a hp benefit no, is there better throttle responce yes  ,,,, is it worth the hassle no

My current engine is a L24 with a E88, but what e88 i couldn't tell you. I don't really know much at all about the current set-up, but it works? I've never pushed it, currently makes 148rwhpat 13psi spike levelling out at 11 psi. It's running all the gear off a L20 turbo engine, so would be quite restrictive on the intake side, which would explain the higher boost required for not too much power? On the Autronic compression is listed as 8:1, the engine was rebuilt and owner said it was given oversize pistons, possibly put in a dished piston maybe? Owner made it sound like he used the original head as he mention it being drilled to suit the injectors. Matching numbers block so that would make it a 1973 e88? All speculation on my part, I did not know as much about engines or Datsun's when I purchased the car, but I don't regret my purchase :)

The l28 in my z is making 215atw kw on 15 psi on an e88 head. but im looking to more around the 260kw area. its not running electronic ignition yet . what sorta gains are to be had? any other options before i start pulling the head off and going for a p90?

Control over the ignition is the most inportant part of a turbo setup  . the most inportant by far , timing is all inportant to making the motor last and make power  . for eg a L28 NA needs 28 to 32 deg at 10.to 1 comp to make it all work right . now if you don't have enough timing it will not make power and will feel flat and boring retarded , and if you have to much it will ping and blow head gaskets and crack ring lands and wreck the engine advanced

so with a turbo engine like yours you say you have 15psi with a t3 turbo like stock one , off boost the engine needs 30deg to run nice at 3500 rpm and above that's off boost  , now add boost . now we need to remove timing or the engine will ping

and die so for every psi we need to remove timing how much we remove depends on lots of things every engine is diffrent and small turbos are the worst, req more  timing to be pulled out fast as they  make boost fast  . so your L28 with 15psi t3

will need at a guess 17 deg removed with that head you have  ..

now as a tuner if i have to remove more than 12 deg timing i now the setup is not as good as it should be and id be looking at the head , and air temps or a restriction in the system , you no there is a problem when the boost is not making more hp  and your removing more timing per psi to stop pinging  .

I'm really enjoying this thread, looking forward to further updates.

I've not seen the girdle before, is that something you supply Peter?

Really like the exhaust manifold, what turbo fitting does it take?

• 3 weeks later...

some pics of the new inlet from the US and the exhaust manifold now with the wgate on .

more pics tomorrow off the head with the new water mods , iv striped the hole thing as it been sitting not finished so i wonted to make shore its all as good as it should be

post-2089-144023672465_thumb.jpg

post-2089-144023672474_thumb.jpg

post-2089-144023672497_thumb.jpg

your not wrong mate the finish is not as good as it should be ,,, like most things that come from the US now there crap ,

i was thinking id send it over to hpc . after i finish it so it works , ,, it needs about 4 hours of time to weld up and fix all the crap welds and weld a peace of ally to the bottom and tap some holes in it for the vacuum pickups . just a peace of crap

the way it came from the US