49 replies to this topic

#41 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

1 1/16th master.... Does that size even exist? I run s12+8 vented and R31 rears on a 15/16 and it performs faultlessly on road and on race track, with less pedal travel than a new car.

You'd want to be Arnold schwarzenegger to push that 1 1/16th brake pedal hard  :o

#42 Mitx

Mitx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

"edit" the +8 gap on my calipers  is 15mm sameish as the stock calipers

It's what I thought it would be that's why I'm surprised to have 20mm gap if it's for the solid caliper.

So to summarize, the gap for:
      'vented' S12+8 calliper is 23mm
      'solid' S12+8 calliper    is 15mm
                        and mine are 20mm      -> What's the problem with mine? I suppose they machined it too much during rebuild. Is this possible? What do you think?
Could there be a third version of this calliper?

#43 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

1 1/16th master.... Does that size even exist? I run s12+8 vented and R31 rears on a 15/16 and it performs faultlessly on road and on race track, with less pedal travel than a new car.

You'd want to be Arnold schwarzenegger to push that 1 1/16th brake pedal hard  :o

17/16th BMC can be found on Z32s and GTR Skylines if I remember correctly.

#44 EMPRACING

EMPRACING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Tagline:2+2x2

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

i wouldn't be surprised if there where different sizes just on a production line or different factory's?
and yes there are common 1 1/16 and even 1 1/8 MC around just not really direct fit
ill check to see if he thort i had the s13 cruiser calipers or something i really didn't get where he was heading with his there too big comments
remember i was going to use the s12w (4 big pistons) not my +8s (2 are smaller)
the whole you cant legally weld caliper brackets isn't a big problem just makes the price go up making custom ones
like i said before i better get the low down from the guy that will accept or deny the mod plates before i stress to much (toooo late!!!)
and lastly i know i could trim the outside of a normal disk just the t2's run the slots way out close to the edge if i trim them they could crack
all i know is for an everyones doing it no problems mod I'm having an awefull hard time of it  :o

#45 EMPRACING

EMPRACING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

got my 12w calipers and the r31 rears back from the shop today they needed a total rekit north of 800 bucks!!!! these things are going on the car no matter what now!!
also i had  half a win today got the rear calipers out of the "treasure chest" and worked out you dont need to weld calipers mounts for r31 if you only get the center machined to 81 or so but you have to take the axels out meh got that done easy enuff but the bracket will have redundent bolt holes now i have to see what they say about that!!
welding them is totally out of the question
oh and i measured the gap on the 12w it is around that 23mm like the other guys just to confirm

#46 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

I ran the S12 setup for a few years, but now have the S12W (or is it S12+8?) on my car with Z31/DR30 discs and the MSA adapter kit.

Pads are WRX/R32/R33 with a little bit ground from a couple of corners.

FWIW if there's anyone that wants a set of S12 (solid) callipers and near-new 240Z discs - I have a set that are surplus to requirements (seen in the left of this shot):
.Posted Image

They clear my new 16x7 8-spoke superlites with ease (but fouled the old 10-spoke design):
Posted Image

#47 EMPRACING

EMPRACING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

thats at least a 12w def not +8 look good too  :)
mine would have too if i the silvia disk had of cleared the caliper mount flange  :(
I have to get a bit of feed back from other 260 converters but ide say looking at it that silvia disks arent what we want
240 hubs seem to be fine thow and i know i could make them clear but theres a right way and a really right way  ;)
wtb pug disks..... eoi s13 "lightened" disks that wont work on a 260 hehe
but i can now tell you that xxr 513 16's will clear the calipers
just everything else for my "bolt on" brakes and "they fit stop asking!!!" wheels is a prob haha

#48 EMPRACING

EMPRACING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Ok took a while but i got the "bolt on" hylux conversion dialed now  :P
First off there's a loot of people on forums that will flame people for asking questions about this conversion
and the old "this and that works" line they get is in hindsight a bit disappointing.
Maybe its because these z's are a bit different maybe its just my 260z 2+2 that wont work with s13 rotors? but it wont!
SO.... we started again with the pug rotor and blam there on no probs at all
so lets see a pic or two?

not sure if you can see the problem here but the disk is rubbing on the flange there
Posted Image

so we go get pug rotors that have a realistic hat offset and.....
Oh and p.s yeah the blues a bit much and yeah that's a hub centric ring machined into the hub worth it BTW
cheers

Posted Image

here's the new clearance

Posted Image

and cos theres no spacer the caliper sits out a bit so will the wheels fit.....

Posted Image

YES! now i got to get them to clear the strut and swaybar and...... :o

#49 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

just everything else for my "bolt on" brakes and "they fit stop asking!!!" wheels is a prob haha

So in summary everything does work and bolt on?
If you had researched a bit more and found out hat heights vs the different hubs you wouldnt have bought the wrong rotors.
I guess the info isnt spelled out in the thread but the numbers are listed in various posts. Maybe PM Lurch and get him to ammend his sticky.

First off there's a loot of people on forums that will flame people for asking questions about this conversion
and the old "this and that works" line they get is in hindsight a bit disappointing.

No, people are happy to answer new questions about this conversion. A lot of your questions were answered in this thread, like your ones about the master cylinder.

#50 EMPRACING

EMPRACING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

ok some fair comment
probably comes down to my car but words like tutorial kinda make you think you will be ok
i know the hats taller i know the hubs different i searched for months on these things! maybe im to old but i missed any mention of this being enuff of a problem
in the end "my" hub vs rotor height just dident come up right hey where talking about 2mm tops here....
and yes i get some answers to questions its not always correct in all cars is probably where im coming from
lastly i really hope nothing i have writen sounds like an attack on anybody
these cars are truely all over the place at times and being a bus i have the hardest to get right of them all  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users