hilux/4runner clipers

With 260z hubs it bolts on, but the discs need to be drilled to suit zed pattern, centre hole matched to hub bore and the caliper needs to be widened to suit the TP magna 23mm disc.

This happened the same way to me but I have a 260z 2+2 parts car that has been very helpful. So my hubs came straight off that.

I think 50% of the 'bolt on mods' I've done have been anything but bolt on  ::) The bad thing is it's only discovered after the car is in bits.

I thought this was meant to be a bolt on upgrade? ???

Hey Beeber,

I think there are bolt on versions of this upgrade, and then there are ways to make it just a little more complicated.

George

Luke,

I can't recall who did it, but someone here made a plate to fit between the two halves of the caliper to create the gap which you seek.

Someone else may be able to remember who did it and post the link.

MaygZ

I have seen this thread, the modded plates that went between the calipers looked pretty damn serious.  With the tools in my shed, certainly not an overnight job. 

And as for Gareth's call, "I think 50% of the 'bolt on mods' I've done have been anything but bolt on  ::) The bad thing is it's only discovered after the car is in bits."  This is spot on at my house mate.  My Zeds been up on stands now for 2 months as I problem solve my "bolt on" mods, but with the help I'm getting in here, the light is now at the end of the tunnel  :D

Cheers

Luke

• 1 month later...

These "bolt on" mods can be trying cant they?

I've been searching for answers on all these s12?? calipers for yonks and i mean over 10 years on and off it only gets worse haha

I already have the +8s done that in about 98

they flew on there with only the backing plate mod i cant remember the hilux exactly but i think i was looking for 86 4x4 Utes that time

now I'm up to my armpits in the vented set up with my s12w's 91 4runner v6 and the "disk" options are killing me!

i was going to go magna but there 24mm so that's out unless i get the slot enlarged when there apart

the machining will be done on the disk what ever i end up with and i have the r31 rear brackets to get done too!

I'm going to rip the old fronts (s12+8) off tomorrow and see if there the larger ones its been to long to remember

Those chaps at Toyota sure like to change there mind on there calipers a lot don't they?

hope everyone else is having more luck now. 

pics of calipers to compare turns out my +8's are the narrow ones so ill use the new ones with silvia disk

brakescomp1.jpg

brakescomp2.jpg

brakescomp3.jpg

brakescomp5.jpg

and to confirm that 513 16x8+0 will clear and this is without caliper bolt spacers that will make more room

brakescomp4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the calipers side by side as requested and a pic of the caliper gap, which is 23mm.  This should suit the S13 rotors at 22mm nicely  :D.

004-2.jpg

Cheers

Luke

This is a very interesting thread for me because I bought the S12-8 rebuilt callipers for the 20mm vented rotors. And I was surprised to measure the gap for the rotor at 20mm instead of 23mm like Luke measured. So it means I either received the calliper for the solid version or my calliper have been machined and they reduced the gap by 3mm during the rebuilt.

EMPRACING, could you measure the gap on the S12-8 for solid rotors please? Is it 20mm?

G'day Mitx and welcome aboard.

Yes there are two models of 's12+8'.  One with a gap of 23mm (ish) for vented discs and one at 20mm (ish) for solid rotors.  Obviously the 20mm ones can be used with standard rotor and the 23mm ones can take a larger and ventilated disc.

We always talk of them as Hilux calipers, but I would like to remind people that the same calipers are on Landcruisers and Surfs (less common here in Oz).  I pulled mine off a 60 series 'cruiser that had vented discs, so I knew they were the right ones.

I would love to see some pictures and story of a Swiss Zed, please  ;)

G'day Mitx and welcome aboard.

Yes there are two models of 's12+8'.  One with a gap of 23mm (ish) for vented discs and one at 20mm (ish) for solid rotors.  Obviously the 20mm ones can be used with standard rotor and the 23mm ones can take a larger and ventilated disc.

We always talk of them as Hilux calipers, but I would like to remind people that the same calipers are on Landcruisers and Surfs (less common here in Oz).  I pulled mine off a 60 series 'cruiser that had vented discs, so I knew they were the right ones.

I would love to see some pictures and story of a Swiss Zed, please  ;)

In fact I ordered the callipers for a HJ60 series landcruiser with the good reference number, and I believe that the wrong callipers were put in the parcel. This is what I ordered: http://www.123piecesderechange.ch/cgi-bin/atm_shop.pl?dsco=26&language=fr&ansicht=autoteile&suche=autoteile100027&pag_goto_page=0&pag_select_items_per_page=10&&zubdetails=ERSA-221046&FZGNR=6765

Here is my presentation, http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,10612.0.html

Hey again the +8s that i have are for the solids the guy thats doing my disks had a +8 with the bigger gap they DO fit over the silvia disk but man its tight and so is the s12w that i have

ill break out the verniers when i can find them  :o but i think theres some factory variance because the "solid" calipers gap i have are WAY narrower by eye than the vented

also i now need to get the caliper moved out to clear the 280mm disk because i cant machine the outside down and dont want to waste the disks and the s12w is probabyl too big to make work on the street at this rate i should have put vt fronts on!!!

"edit" the +8 gap on my calipers  is 15mm sameish as the stock calipers

oops some of the message got lost there and I'm not even sure what i said!

basically the guy at the shop reckons ide need a bloody 1 1/16 MC to make it work

and even then it would be feel crappy on the pedal it seems telling him that heaps of

people run with the 1" and its OK didn't win that argument?

unless he got them mixxed up with 13s?

also told me you cant weld caliper brackets and get them teched

i don't freekn know anymore  :o

ill have to have a long chat with an engineer real soon!

I am using a four piston caliper, not hilux toyota, my vented discs did not clear both diameter and thickness, but not by much.

I had a mobile brake disc machinist guy come by, knocked off couple mm on diam, and faced the pad surface arwa down 0.8 mm each side , 1.6 mm. It clears all fine, and no issue.

Ok you wont have the stamped markings on edge to tell you min thickness, no biggie, and you wont need to weld and redrill caliper to leg mounts to run the full diam.

BTW none of mine is on a Zed, but principle is the same.

If needing to offset caliper ie fit a waher between strut leg caliper mount ears and caliper ensure you use hardened steel washers, not plain washets, i had to use 2 mm thick hard washers.

My rotors went from 280 to 278 diam, and 22 to 20.4 thick, plenty meat left!

1 1/16th master.... Does that size even exist? I run s12+8 vented and R31 rears on a 15/16 and it performs faultlessly on road and on race track, with less pedal travel than a new car.

You'd want to be Arnold schwarzenegger to push that 1 1/16th brake pedal hard  :o

"edit" the +8 gap on my calipers  is 15mm sameish as the stock calipers

It's what I thought it would be that's why I'm surprised to have 20mm gap if it's for the solid caliper.

So to summarize, the gap for:

'vented' S12+8 calliper is 23mm

'solid' S12+8 calliper    is 15mm

and mine are 20mm      -> What's the problem with mine? I suppose they machined it too much during rebuild. Is this possible? What do you think?

Could there be a third version of this calliper?

1 1/16th master.... Does that size even exist? I run s12+8 vented and R31 rears on a 15/16 and it performs faultlessly on road and on race track, with less pedal travel than a new car.

You'd want to be Arnold schwarzenegger to push that 1 1/16th brake pedal hard  :o

17/16th BMC can be found on Z32s and GTR Skylines if I remember correctly.

i wouldn't be surprised if there where different sizes just on a production line or different factory's?

and yes there are common 1 1/16 and even 1 1/8 MC around just not really direct fit

ill check to see if he thort i had the s13 cruiser calipers or something i really didn't get where he was heading with his there too big comments

remember i was going to use the s12w (4 big pistons) not my +8s (2 are smaller)

the whole you cant legally weld caliper brackets isn't a big problem just makes the price go up making custom ones

like i said before i better get the low down from the guy that will accept or deny the mod plates before i stress to much (toooo late!!!)

and lastly i know i could trim the outside of a normal disk just the t2's run the slots way out close to the edge if i trim them they could crack

all i know is for an everyones doing it no problems mod I'm having an awefull hard time of it  :o

got my 12w calipers and the r31 rears back from the shop today they needed a total rekit north of 800 bucks!!!! these things are going on the car no matter what now!!

also i had  half a win today got the rear calipers out of the "treasure chest" and worked out you dont need to weld calipers mounts for r31 if you only get the center machined to 81 or so but you have to take the axels out meh got that done easy enuff but the bracket will have redundent bolt holes now i have to see what they say about that!!

welding them is totally out of the question

oh and i measured the gap on the 12w it is around that 23mm like the other guys just to confirm

I ran the S12 setup for a few years, but now have the S12W (or is it S12+8?) on my car with Z31/DR30 discs and the MSA adapter kit.

Pads are WRX/R32/R33 with a little bit ground from a couple of corners.

FWIW if there's anyone that wants a set of S12 (solid) callipers and near-new 240Z discs - I have a set that are surplus to requirements (seen in the left of this shot):

.21072009295.jpg

They clear my new 16x7 8-spoke superlites with ease (but fouled the old 10-spoke design):

20032011226_1024.jpg

thats at least a 12w def not +8 look good too  :)

mine would have too if i the silvia disk had of cleared the caliper mount flange  :(

I have to get a bit of feed back from other 260 converters but ide say looking at it that silvia disks arent what we want

240 hubs seem to be fine thow and i know i could make them clear but theres a right way and a really right way  ;)

wtb pug disks..... eoi s13 "lightened" disks that wont work on a 260 hehe

but i can now tell you that xxr 513 16's will clear the calipers

just everything else for my "bolt on" brakes and "they fit stop asking!!!" wheels is a prob haha

• 1 month later...

Ok took a while but i got the "bolt on" hylux conversion dialed now  :P

First off there's a loot of people on forums that will flame people for asking questions about this conversion

and the old "this and that works" line they get is in hindsight a bit disappointing.

Maybe its because these z's are a bit different maybe its just my 260z 2+2 that wont work with s13 rotors? but it wont!

SO.... we started again with the pug rotor and blam there on no probs at all

so lets see a pic or two?

not sure if you can see the problem here but the disk is rubbing on the flange there

frontprob2.jpg

so we go get pug rotors that have a realistic hat offset and.....

Oh and p.s yeah the blues a bit much and yeah that's a hub centric ring machined into the hub worth it BTW

cheers

bluebrakes1.jpg

here's the new clearance

bluebrakes2.jpg

and cos theres no spacer the caliper sits out a bit so will the wheels fit.....

bluebrakes3.jpg

YES! now i got to get them to clear the strut and swaybar and...... :o

just everything else for my "bolt on" brakes and "they fit stop asking!!!" wheels is a prob haha

So in summary everything does work and bolt on?

If you had researched a bit more and found out hat heights vs the different hubs you wouldnt have bought the wrong rotors.

I guess the info isnt spelled out in the thread but the numbers are listed in various posts. Maybe PM Lurch and get him to ammend his sticky.

First off there's a loot of people on forums that will flame people for asking questions about this conversion

and the old "this and that works" line they get is in hindsight a bit disappointing.

No, people are happy to answer new questions about this conversion. A lot of your questions were answered in this thread, like your ones about the master cylinder.

ok some fair comment

probably comes down to my car but words like tutorial kinda make you think you will be ok

i know the hats taller i know the hubs different i searched for months on these things! maybe im to old but i missed any mention of this being enuff of a problem

in the end "my" hub vs rotor height just dident come up right hey where talking about 2mm tops here....

and yes i get some answers to questions its not always correct in all cars is probably where im coming from

lastly i really hope nothing i have writen sounds like an attack on anybody

these cars are truely all over the place at times and being a bus i have the hardest to get right of them all  :P