L24(E): Which fuel pump:

JoeyM

Hi All,

Do you have any suggestions for a good electronic fuel pump to fit outside the tank on an EFI-equipped L24? I have a 1983 Datsun I'm trying to get running (Model WHD910AEUCS[*], sold here in Florida back in the day as a "Maxima") that needs a fuel pump :( The car has an L24(E) engine. What would you recommend as a replacement pump for this car:?:

I've seen Zeddophile's Aug. 11, 2005 post where he says that his L28E is using a pump from a VL Commodore....

http://www.viczcar.com/forums/about135.html

...but that's not the same engine, and I'm not sure if the Commodore was sold stateside (or what it was called if it was sold here.)

Thanks for reading this. I'm sorry if my question is inappropriate

JoeyM

---

* - Please don't crucify me over the fact that this is not a Z-car. I'll apologize in advance in case if asking such a question is considered to be in bad form.

Any electric fuel pump will work - go hunting at a auto wrecker & find something suitable.

Have you tryed getting an original fuel pump?

And have you tryed asking on a US based Nissan forum?

I would have thought all you would need to know is fuel pressure requirement and choose a pump based on that??? I remember one Z owner telling me that his vapour locking problems went away after installing an electric pump on his Z? Does that sound right?

• Administrators
Hi All' date='

Do you have any suggestions for a good electronic fuel pump to fit outside the tank on an EFI-equipped L24? I have a 1983 Datsun I'm trying to get running (Model WHD910AEUCS[*'], sold here in Florida back in the day as a "Maxima") that needs a fuel pump :( The car has an L24(E) engine. What would you recommend as a replacement pump for this car:?:

I've seen Zeddophile's Aug. 11, 2005 post where he says that his L28E is using a pump from a VL Commodore....

http://www.viczcar.com/forums/about135.html

...but that's not the same engine, and I'm not sure if the Commodore was sold stateside (or what it was called if it was sold here.)

Thanks for reading this. I'm sorry if my question is inappropriate

JoeyM

---

* - Please don't crucify me over the fact that this is not a Z-car. I'll apologize in advance in case if asking such a question is considered to be in bad form.

Hi there, the L24E was also found in a Nissan Skyline R30 and I would imagine the same fuel pump would work with your car. I'm fairly certain the wiring connectors would be the same also, if I know Nissan. However don't take it as gospel.

I think you should find the output requirement for the pump and possibly look at an aftermarket item. I'm sure there are plenty of vendors in the US to get such an item from.

Is there any reason why you can't get another maxima fuel pump from a wrecking yard? Perhaps you can rebuild you existing pump?

I'd even look to see if a 280zx non-turbo pump would be suitable. I'm sure there isn't much difference.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

I appreciate your replies.

Any electric fuel pump will work - go hunting at a auto wrecker & find something suitable.

Have you tryed getting an original fuel pump?

And have you tryed asking on a US based Nissan forum?

I have not yet tried a US based forum, but I just returned from the local nissan dealer. They cannot get an original pump. My local auto parts store can get an equivalent pump, but it is prohibitively expensive, hence my asking for alternatives. :wink:

I'm hoping that Lurch and Toecutter are correct; i.e. that any electric pump will work as long as I know that it has sufficient pressure for the EFI. I'm looking at alternatives right now. I will let you know what I find.

One forum I googled up on the net had a post saying that that the fuel pressure exceeds 50 psi. This seems odd to me since the local nissan dealer said most fuel pumps - they had no knowledge about this specific pump - run around 37 psi.

Again, I thank you for your assistance.

JoeyM

The fuel pump does not govern pressure at all. That is the job of the fuel pressure regulator. All you need from a fuel pump is to know that it will flow enough. The exception of course, to this rule, is if you have a carby car - in which case you use a much lower volume pump, which does have some form of regulator built in, due to carby fuel pressure being somewhere between 4 and 10 psi. Efi fuel pressures on average range between 2.5bar (35psi) to 3 bar and over (44psi), but again, are normally regulated by a regulator on the fuel rail at the intake manifold. The regulator is also supplied with vacuum, which causes the fuel pressure to briefly rise at throttle first opening, and drop back to normal as the throttle plate opens more and engine vacuum decreases.

The VL commodore fuel pumps here are a Bosch 044 or something like that - they feed a 3 litre nissan derived 6 cylinder, so enough flow for any average L series is a given already. I'm using the same pump to feed my 4.6 litre range rover - why? Because that same VL pump is also used to feed the holden 5.0 litre in both VL and VN form (or so I'm told). I'll also be using it in my 2.0 litre alfa when I EFI that, and turbo it. Why do I use them everywhere? Because they're about $50 from a wrecker, plentiful in supply, and flow enough for a 5 litre V8.

Just look for a fairly common car at a wreckers, with a larger motor than yours, and an external fuel pump. Then, remove it and put it in your car.

Hello Gentlemen,

Do you have any suggestions for a good electronic fuel pump to fit outside the tank on an EFI-equipped L24?

I went back to the same Nissan dealer, this time hauling a repair manual and the broken fuel pump with me, and I got much better information. (Getting the right person makes a difference.) They are recommending a Bosch fuel pump (part number 69616) for the L24(E) engine. I've ordered one from www.rockauto.com, and I'll let you if it works.

Thanks,

JoeyM