#1 Bozo

Bozo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Tagline:53-681

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hey guyz,

I was interested in purchasing a new steering wheel for my 260Z and I found this leather PVC steering wheel on ebay for about $100 delivered with the hub adapter, except the adapter is designed for 240sx's and 300zx's and various other Nissan models.

Will this adapter suite my 1974 260Z???

Kind Regards,
Sam Gungormez

#2 FLEXZED

FLEXZED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Tagline:Loui

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

NO!!!!!

#3 Bozo

Bozo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

Bro, my current one is a wooden one and the deep dish metal inverted pieces are like rusted... Maybe I should try restoring that???

#4 T.A.P

T.A.P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Tagline:Shes on all four.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:24 AM

Hey guyz,

I was interested in purchasing a new steering wheel for my 260Z and I found this leather PVC steering wheel on ebay for about $100 delivered with the hub adapter, except the adapter is designed for 240sx's and 300zx's and various other Nissan models.

Will this adapter suite my 1974 260Z???

Kind Regards,
Sam Gungormez

In case you haven't decided yet the 240sx or 300zx hub adapter will fit to the Datsun 260z. If you follow this link you will see they all use the same adapter part #.

http://crowderscusto...uct_list&c=1174

#5 Bozo

Bozo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Oh sweeeeet! But i wonder if I can still use the original datsun horn pad on these third party steering wheels...?

#6 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

I spotted one of those NRG short hub adapators just the other day and was thinking it would be good to know if the early Datsun stuff does match the 240sx/200sx spline count/tapper.

Can anyone comfirm 100% this is the case? Anybody have both models at home who can confirm? Having an NRG short adaptor and quick release setup would be ideal on a race car ;)

#7 T.A.P

T.A.P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Sam depends on how good you are with modification, its possible but do you really want to do it? The finish might not look that good, but if you decided to do it a deep dish wheel will be a better choice.

Ned, Im also thinking about doing that but with a quick tilt instead of the quick release, its faster and more practical  :)

#8 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

Ok you got me looking :D

quick interweb search and I find this

Momo has a different part number for the early Datsun aka 240z/260z/280zx, 510, 610. etc basically up to 86 (which is #3503) then for the later stuff aka 240sx/200sx (S13,S14), 300zx non tubro, Pulsar ie 87-90's cars (which is #3508). However I have not found a spline count for these momo hubs/boss kits.

But I did find another listing (locally on trademe) that lists the Skyline R32/33, Pulsar, Sentra 200sx/Silvia S13/S14 on the models it works with and they state a spline cound of 34 on a 16mm shaft.

So I pickup my 260z steering wheel which is off the car and I count 36 spline on maybe 17mm but my guess is 16mm as that is what the nut size looks like. I cound the wheel a few time but keep getting 36..

The hub/boss on trade me is only 29 NZ funny money so not a lot of coin if a punt was taken to see if the s13/14 units do fit - better than dropping over $100 USD for NRG short hub to find out it is wrong.

#9 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

please correct me if im wrong but is there any reason why you cant cut a boss adapter to make it short?? sure you may have to drill and tap the holes deeper??

#10 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

please correct me if im wrong but is there any reason why you cant cut a boss adapter to make it short?? sure you may have to drill and tap the holes deeper??

Not the Nardi one Benny?
is it on yet?

#11 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

Momo adaptors (I have one) are crushable type that you can't shorten. Also here in NZ there is no welding permitted on any steering part (well go figure other than what the manufacture welds during assembly - ie if it breaks you can't weld it back again - you need a new part from the factory even if you can't get the part  anymore- silly I know but someone at some point must have welded up a steering connection and someone got killed = no go anymore)

This also shows a different partnumber for the momo adaptors/boos kits vs NRG which share the same part number of the same models???? I think NRG might have an error

http://crowderscusto...duct_list&c=906

#12 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

no not the nardi... im not doing it just thought about it in the past!!.  I had a "personal" brand boss in the past and it was solid aluminium so i thought it would be ok to cut it and tap...

#13 T.A.P

T.A.P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

Ok Ive done some research and a lot of people say that pretty much all Nissan cars use the same spline count/ diameter ???. Nothing concrete yet...

#14 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

Ok Ive done some research and a lot of people say that pretty much all Nissan cars use the same spline count/ diameter ???. Nothing concrete yet...

Spline may be the same, but different cars may have different offsets?
Which means it all depends on the driver and particular wheel.

#15 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

I found a thread on hybridz that another guy found the 240z/260z/280z aka pre 86 Datsuns (no the 120Y aka very small Datsuns) all share the same pline and that is 36 on 16mm. However later model Nissan stuff appears to be 34 spline on 16mm so not going to work. Again I can't confirm as I don't have late model Nissan stuff only early stuff ie Zed stuff. But now that I am home I have checked the following.

2 x 260z columns = 36 spline
1 x 240z column shaft = 36 spline
1 x 260z Wheel = 36 spline
1 x Nissan Comp  Wheel = 36 spline
1 x momo boss kit for 240z/260z = 36 spline

Modern Nissan info I find on the web states 34 spline.

#16 T.A.P

T.A.P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Ive just asked aus300zx forums and got a confirmation that the spline/diameter of the 300zx  is 34 x 17.5mm respectively. How on Earth NRG states that their SRK-140H adapter fits the earlier Zs and later Zs is beyond me. Now how do I go about purchasing a NRG short hub... ???

#17 Bozo

Bozo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:56 AM

hmmm I've been contemplating over the past few weeks of restoring the original steering wheel and changing the italic D lettered horn button to a Datsun one...

Some steel wool, sandpaper, primer and wrinkle effect engine paint mmmmmmmmmmm can't go wrong  :-[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users