#41 Aliangus

Aliangus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

As to Gav's point one - as a new member the Karma rating could help a new member get a bit of an idea of who to trust etc, but it seems to be so all over the place it can be pretty much ignored as any sort of help - it seems to be more of a popularity rating. So as a new member who it is designed to help - I didn't find it very useful.

One of the probelms with the internet is a lot of people say things online that they would never say to a persons face, and a lot of people (not just on here) get very upset by what is said online. Therefore a huge probelem with Karma is that it is anonymous and without cause. You can - or + someone without saying who you are, and without saying why you did it, which leads to what some would call this sort of petty behaviour, but some others would take to heart (harrassment is in the opinion of the person on the recieving end etc)

But, as someone else pointed out, it is pretty hard to buy someone a beer when they have helped you from the other side of the country, and it is nice to be able to give someone a public accolade when they have been helpful.

My suggestion is either get rid of karma totally, or make it accountable. You could make it accountable by having a "karma thread" and to give someone good or bad karma you have to post who you are and why you want to + or - the other person. This would then have to be supported by at least 2 other people before being added or subtracted to a persons rating. Having a system that was this involved would mean it could be taken seriously by new members, but it may require waaaay too much work from moderators to be practical?

#42 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

I agree with Alaingus

Next to each poster there is the word Karma, and also the + Karma button.

Gav mentioned there is a back laying table that records Karma, if the word Karma next to the posters avatar also became a button which opened up that persons tally you could spot the ppl who made the accolades, this would give a high degree of accountability and by the same token reduce the steroid use of Karma down to a responsible level in line with that person value add.

#43 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

My suggestion is either get rid of karma totally, or make it accountable. You could make it accountable by having a "karma thread" and to give someone good or bad karma you have to post who you are and why you want to + or - the other person. This would then have to be supported by at least 2 other people before being added or subtracted to a persons rating. Having a system that was this involved would mean it could be taken seriously by new members, but it may require waaaay too much work from moderators to be practical?

Thats all too hard.
Just get rid of it then to end all the tears  :'(

#44 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

But what about the people on this site that live and die by their Karma rating?
Will they have to get a life?
Will they not be nice anymore because they will not get a Karma?
I think you can soon work out who the helpful people are on this site. Plus the number of posts is probably the best indicator. Although we might be a little miss led by the odd user who just talks a lot because they like to see their words in print.
Have a good day all. Oh and maybe we could even talk about Zeds.
Yes my Zeds power steering is about to be bolted in. Thanks for asking.  :D

#45 madz

madz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

But what about the people on this site that live and die by their Karma rating?
Will they have to get a life?

LOL!  ;D

Don't you guys have cars to work on instead of getting involved in this nonsense?! (I don't, mine runs perfectly fine). There were never any issues like this before Karma, and I am quite sure we know who we all are or have a 'buddy' that we can ask if we need to know anything. It was pretty much self moderated on here, people that wernt welcome were told to take a hike, etc... I am sure nothing has really changed, except maybe someone has taken this 'fun Karma thing' too seriously. I quite enjoyed it, but wont miss it :)

Jane  8)

#46 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Lets face it madz you bought a mechanically great car and you thought  karma was fun because it put Lurch in a good mood when you boosted his to over a 100...lol

DELETE KARMA this will stop the rot

There is heaps better to talk about , how about we help " luvemfast " with his premature sex problem...not a great moniker/post name Simon :)

#47 madz

madz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

Lets face it madz you bought a mechanically great car and you thought  karma was fun because it put Lurch in a good mood when you boosted his to over a 100...lol

;D ;D ;D

#48 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location:3 weeks in the middle of the Indian Ocean the other in Melbourne

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

Sigh..
It's not the use of the Karma button or it's removal that is the problem.
It's the vilification of a forum member  by it's use, that's the issue.

Removing the karma system doesn't necessarily change the culture.
I still haven't the foggiest as to what the issue was that certain members had with this member nor do I want to know either.
Scrap karma, lock this thread, learn to be more tolerent and worry about how to get our cars on the road instead.

#49 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

This is really beautiful

Dozens of men constantly talking publicly about their feelings toward one another ..

someone pass the tissues!

#50 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

This is really beautiful

Dozens of men constantly talking publicly about their feelings toward one another ..

I think the way around this is simple

1 Get rid of karma
2 At the next xmas bash we make it just that, a bash, everyone brings a baseball bat and you club the ppl you least like.
3 Last man or woman standing is the Karma Poobah

#51 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

There is heaps better to talk about , how about we help " luvemfast " with his premature sex problem...not a great moniker/post name Simon :)

Steeeve
You promised you'd never bring that up in public......
It normally never happens........

Damnit, not again......
Someone pass the tissues!  :-[

#52 saxon

saxon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

I don't even look at Karma. I didn't even notice that I have 1 Karma, thanks whoever did that. I'm pretty sure I've never written anything helpful to anyone on this forum lol.

This forum has generally a more mature and sensible group of regular posters than on other forums. Most information posted is reliable, and when there is a disagreement it is probably cause there is no right or wrong answer.

For that reason, it really doesn't make a difference either way. People that are screaming for Karma to be scrapped are probably butt hurt that they have a lower Karma per Post ratio than someone else.

#53 silverz

silverz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

My perception of this forum is that unfortunately it seems to have become more about a small group of members egos and less about a common interest in cars. Which is a terrible shame as I have received some great information from here in the past for which I am very thankfull and hopefully some of my posts have provided a little assistance to others.

This is evident in the way some of the new members have been responded to on introduction (okay maybe their literacy skills let them down but who are we to judge?).

Maybe it is because I am probably older than many of the other members but I have no time for games such as karma, flaming, blatant rudeness and whatever else people want to go on with.

Which is why I don't post that often anymore. At the start of the year I started to understand that I was turned off by the way this site was going when I realised I now lived within easy travelling distance from Thredbo and had the time but found excuses for myself not to go and meet others there  because I was uncomfortable as I thought I would be an outsider in clicky ego driven group.

I have probably vented more than enough so I will leave it there.

Regards
Peter

#54 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

I knew only around half of the people at Thredbo, but consider them all friends now, maybe you should try turning up and meeting them, then if you still feel the same way, don't come.  I think that's actually a bit unreasonable.  Nearly every Canberra member turned up to my wedding to drive for my party, none of them asked for anything in return.  I am yet to meet a person on this forum who I haven't thought highly of. 

I just suggest meeting them before judging them.

#55 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

I now lived within easy travelling distance from Thredbo and had the time but found excuses for myself not to go and meet others there  because I was uncomfortable as I thought I would be an outsider in clicky ego driven group.

Thats your decision at the end of the day.
I think maybe a bad one? Due to my experiences going to meets, where EVERY guy who turns up in a Z gets greeted with a smile (Lurch isn't nearly as grumpy as he makes out) and interest shown in their cars.

#56 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Peter

Some valid points, but have to say that the vast majority of new members who do the right thing as far as a first post get well deserved welcome when they do join, yes a few have been hit up pretty quickly for not taking the time to consider why they have joined and blatantly just launch into a sales pitch about goods or services they have or can offer.

I'm pretty sure Loui will back me up as we joined around the same time, and are close to your age, I was very reluctant when I first joined about how I would be received, even my first outing was a bit bewildering not having my car on the road and meeting up with a well established crew of members, but I have to say that you need to put that all aside.

These types of threads such as the one we are posting in at the moment are basically pointless banter and off topic, however every single poster here no matter how out of left field the comments may be at the moment have contributed some fantastic knowledge and opinions that's scattered throughout the forum.

As far as missing Thredbo, I have to say you really did miss out, I wasn't there however I know these guys now and believe me when I say you would have been not only welcomed but felt right at home with them all, don't let Lurches avatar make you think that he is so in real life, he loves nothing less than having his hair straightened, fingers manicured and painted in a nice shade of Street girl red after a night on the turps.

Have been planning a trip to Bonegila for years as my parents were hauled up there for months when they first immigrated to Australia, hope I can buy you a beer if and when i get up there.

Cheers

John 

#57 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

don't let Lurches avatar make you think that he is so in real life, he loves nothing less than having his hair straightened, fingers manicured and painted in a nice shade of Street girl red after a night on the turps.

(Lurch isn't nearly as grumpy as he makes out)

Damn

And we posted seconds apart

#58 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

OMG ...

I just broke a nail, anyone got a file handy?

Pete's right ... too much gibber, not enough car stuff .. a bit like Top Gear these days.

#59 Z

Z

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

I think the first paragraph by Silverz is true, I don't post too much anyhow but have been put off when I read some of the comments posted about any member, no matter how wrong they are, that loser with the 240 front panels exempted!

The members who did wrong in this case probably know they should perhaps have brought it up with the Webmaster, it did not seem their right to take matters into their own hands from what I could tell.

I reckon think first, then post... Remember how many members read what you write and make their own judgement, far far more than who reply...

I am a daily Z forum deciple and this is a top little forum, it's awesome to share such a terrific car as the Z with dudes willing to help out with time, parts or advice!

Time for good Karma and teachings from the Lama  ;D

#60 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

For anyone new, if it seems like we are tight knit community, we are...  Get involved and try and meet people, you will be welcomed!  Be negative about it and you will receive negativity, its no different to anything else in life.  I think its time to nip this thread in the bud.  It appears a majority vote to getting rid of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users