88 replies to this topic

#21 BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

1. Let's get rid of karma. The established members here know each other already, so you just get people +ing or -ing based on what they think of someone, not based on contribution. If you want to use it to help new members work out who to deal with/take seriously, make it so only members with less than, say, 20 posts can + or - to karma (might be useful, new members seem to be getting flamed more often lately...). Of course then would they actually be aware of the feature and use it? Probably not... so just get rid of it.

2. I don't see what everyone's problem with Salty is? He's only been helpful to me...

#22 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

1. Let's get rid of karma. The established members here know each other already, so you just get people +ing or -ing based on what they think of someone, not based on contribution. If you want to use it to help new members work out who to deal with/take seriously, make it so only members with less than, say, 20 posts can + or - to karma (might be useful, new members seem to be getting flamed more often lately...). Of course then would they actually be aware of the feature and use it? Probably not... so just get rid of it.

1. I don't see what everyone's problem with Salty is? He's only been helpful to me...

I agree with point, uh, 1.
Salty says some crazy sh!te, he gets flamed for it. Then gives as good as he gets anyway. It appears he takes it ok to me?

I don't really care about the Karma thing. Don't look at it really, I use it if someone does a good deed or cracks a good one, thats about it. I'm not a Buddhist anyway.......

#23 BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

My bad... point numbering fixed.

#24 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

My bad... point numbering fixed.

lol
I knew you'd fix it.
Thats why I quoted you  ;D

Don't give me any bad karma for it  :P

#25 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

Forget about Karma ,

I like to check out the number of people that have viewed some threads that I have started, yep rather self indulgent I know [perhaps  up myself is better ?? ] But I feel that I have contributed positively to this site if other members and visitors have taken the time to enjoy and hopefully get something informative out of my ramblings.

By the way checkout .....race pace cornering[page 5 ] and race pace cornering update [page 1 ], in the 'suspension' section.....8171 viewers can't be wrong

LOL....."don't worry be happy"...By bob marley

#26 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

I was one of those who was hijacking a certain members Karma rating points, in total I believe I hit it down by about 3.

+1 i am the other 

Posted Image

Laughs aside though, im a$$hole no.1
I have been hitting it down 1 point at a time for the last 4 or so months, every day, -1 point.

Why?
Well because i dont think he should have had that much when he was basically a bit of a knob.
I dont think much of him, but i also dont have a problem with him.
My intention was to run his karma down to around 20 or so, then leave it, Bring him down to the same level as the rest of us.
If i should take a holiday, so be it. no sweat off my back, i have plenty of other things to occupy me.

I do think that this karma thing is not needed, and i agree with RB30X that a trader rating would be better suited.

#27 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

For heavens sake Gav, remove the Karma all together.

Clearly some children take it to heart  ::)

#28 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location:3 weeks in the middle of the Indian Ocean the other in Melbourne

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

After everything that has been written, how can you belittle the person who was vilified by the system.
Really, that remark isn't justified.

#29 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

After everything that has been written, how can you belittle the person who was vilified by the system.
Really, that remark isn't justified.

Pardon? ???

#30 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Obviously I am in the minority but I like the karma thing (without the ability to subtract). I don't understand how it could hurt anything?? I find it interesting to see who helps their fellow zed owners. It might not be accurate but who the heck cares.

#31 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

hey Loui how did you manage to give yourself 73 Karmas reh  8)

#32 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

+1 This site is about helping  each other and making friends not baging people. 8)

#33 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'm going to quote Saxon here from another thread.

*Eats popcorn*

#34 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

Obviously I am in the minority but I like the karma thing (without the ability to subtract). I don't understand how it could hurt anything?? I find it interesting to see who helps their fellow zed owners. It might not be accurate but who the heck cares.

+1 karma for you.

OK, the others clearing their ®souls has forced my hand.  I am another that has been amusing myself in a kind of inane way by removing karma from another.  And yes I justified it to myself by suggesting that it was to balance the equation etc.  but ......

Zedrally, he wasn't vilified by the system, but by a small group of us - Alan I had no idea, you cunning beggar!!  I notice that 'he' is quiet on the subject - perhaps 'he' is concerned that someone might realise that Lurch's (and yes he had nothing to do with this) karma has been going backwards ever since 'his' started going south.  Some misguided revenge.  Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Yes this was childish school yard pranks, a bit of tit-for-tat, but really running to the teacher 'cause the other kids are doing it better??

Could this be the end of karma?  Could this mean trouble for MaygZ and Co.?  or is it just rubbing salt(y) into 'his' wounds?  Find out more in next weeks episode of karma Soap.

Please note:- no one who was neg karmaing 'him' has identified the recipient.  There was never an intention to publically name, embarrass or vilify any person.  It was a behind the scenes prank.  Just a quieter form of the silly batter that has been going on.

#35 Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Tagline:Canuckian

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

+1

Seems kinda ironic to hit the Karma + button for that reply, doesn't it? lol

#36 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

Wow this thread got long quick...

1. Karma was really intended to help newer members know who the long standing members are and if their advice is useful. When you first join a community you have no idea who is giving good advice and who is just talking (sorry for swearing Rev) shite! The idea was that it would help speed up the process of getting to know the active helpful members.

By the way I'm not saying anyone here talks shite lol..

I do agree a trader rating might be a better idea because that way you know someone is trustworthy when it comes to buying parts etc.. Just like eBay.

2. Correcting an error, well the error technically wasn't an error. Here's what happened with Salty's Karma. He was in the negative and kicked up a big stink about it, I'm sure you all recall. So what I did was remove the negative link from the sites template (obviously not the PM template - oops!) and I did a database reset of EVERYBODY's negative karma rating.

Interestingly the karma votes were stored in 2 separate rows of the member tables. So let's say I had 30 votes (in positive) and 10 votes (in negative) my total would show 20.

Even though Salty's karma was -40 odd, he actually had a large amount of positive votes. So when I reset everything he went into the positive.

Salty actually deleted all his posts, so I considered removing all his karma ratings too. But I didn't think it was worth the effort of updating the database for 1 members rating. Obviously I underestimated that everyone else saw it as important and wanted to correct an error.

3. I wasn't actually worried about the negative votes myself, I was more concerned that a small group of members were going out of their way to ostracise another member. As I say I don't think everyone should get along sing songs and hold hands, just agree to disagree.

If I was to let others 'bully' - I say bully but perhaps that is over exaggerating the situation, another member. Then it opens the door for others to do the same.

4. My girlfriend has pointed out that perhaps the word "karma" is part of the problem. It could be that some feel a bit superstitious about bad karma.

5. I now know why Google+ and Facebook don't allow negatives or dislikes. The drama of it all :).

6. I think I might remove karma but before I do, does anyone have any last words or reasons to keep it?

#37 daw260z

daw260z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

Personally i think the karma is a positive, not so sure on the name but it is an easy way to express your appreciation. Its a bit hard to buy someone a beer for their troubles when they are on the other side of the country so its a good alternative. Remove the negative and let +karma be a digital cheers. Someone will always have more +'s than you but if that bothers you grow up! Remember that we are all here to share what we know and enjoy owning z's. Its not a stupid competition.

#38 Patch

Patch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hi Gav, from a newbie and my self belonging to a bike forum that is self moderated keeping this Kama stuff is going to be a lot of trouble, giving somebody away to stab you in the back with out any body knowing who it was, On the bike forum if somebody is a tool they are told so and sometimes it may explode into something but the fact it is not removed it shows other the real person be hide the screen, when ever you have a problem with some one you should only say what you would to their face as one day you may all meet.

This bike forum was started because the other forum we all belonged to was over moderated and members got kicked off for very little reason.
It would be years now that we had a big blow out and works fine, Mods are only used to correct site problem, clearly kids are going to get upset if somebody has more gold stars than them.

As to these naughty boys, one bad star each and one gold star each for coming forward, I would have more respect for somebody who told me to my face they have a problem with what I said.

#39 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

This site already has a culture that is, almost, self moderating.  >:(
If someone's a tool, or has poor business practices  ;D, they get flamed.

As for Karma.
Not fussed either way.
Keep it, get rid of it? *shrugs shoulders*  :-\
Is it going to affect my life? Pfft  ::)
If this is the biggest problem in someones life?
You are blessed my friend.  8)

However, if you want to remove the smiley's, I'd get upset  :'(

#40 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

It won't bother me if it's there or not. I can easily say that my self worth isn't represented by one or two little digits in my details on the side of the page...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users