9 replies to this topic

#1 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:47 PM

After reading http://www.classiczc...ead.php?t=23226 i started the hunt for some fd seats for my car, whilst still checking ebay for any wrx or gtr seats going cheapish.

i bought these seats off an importer who was bringing in an fd in halfcuts, although i woudlnt recommend buying through him as it took 2 months longer than he said, and when he showed me pictures of them they looked half leather half fabric, which i would of loved, and then when i went to pick them up he was arguing that they were complete leather, meanwhile none of it is leather, but the back is vinyl, but still he had no idea what he was going on about, but ended up getting them for $400 which was cheap enough to not care. one of my friends later pointed out to me that leather doesn't burn where vinyl and cloth both either melt or catch alight, and it would of been funny to have him set these alight, but woudlnt have helped me at all! and they look nice, although there is a bit of sunfade on them so may look into getting some black fabric die or getting the outside bit retrimmed in leather like i would of liked in the first place

the rx7 rails come with an extra bar on them, to strengthen the seatbelt mount i assume, which can easily be removed along with the seatbelt, then all that needs to be done is to bend the rear mount down onto close to a 60degree angle to match the zed, where orginally its straight. i clampled where i wanted it to bend so not to put the force onto the rivits when doing this. then the only thing that needs to be done to the zed's body is to drill out the hole at the front of the rails an extra 1mm so the locating pin on the rx7 rails can slot in.

the drivers side one is slightly wider althoguh can still be made to bolt in just as easily. however mounting them like this makes them noticably to high and not centered by about 2cm, so i took it back out and grinded off the bits of the rx7 rail that stop it from sitting as low, which means i can't slide the seat back as far, but i double checked that this would suit me fine before hand (and it is only about 3 positions shorter than the stock rails let you slide back to anyway, but for some reason the rail is longer than it allows you to slide, if that makes sense), i dont have any pics of this, but now it sits alot closer to the same height as the stock seats, although i do not know if it was worth the couple of hours this took to do!

i'd easily recommend this upgrade, as they look factory, are easy enough to do, and are a huge comfort upgrade and hole you in tightly. at the motor show i sat in a 350z and wrx and their seats weren't as snug as these are, along with those in my parents SRi, lol

Attached Thumbnails

• 847_.jpg
  • 846_.jpg
  • 845_.jpg

#2 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

and a pic of them installed, you may just be able to tell the drivers seat is a bit lower, i may do the passenger side when i can be bothered, but with the drivers seat it was nearly at the stage where it was hard to get in and out due to the steering wheel gap

Attached Thumbnails

• 848_.jpg

#3 tattoo_ink

tattoo_ink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:38 PM

looks sharp as mate !!!

#4 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:52 PM

that does look very nice, thanks for all the info :D

#5 djc2004

djc2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

after having driven around this week in a Saab with full leather, i'd have cloth anyday. 30 - 35* and leather = sweatly clothes = yukko.... even with a/c...

#6 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:57 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking, although it has to be better than vinyl, lol. but isn't leather ment to actully breath?

i still wouldn't mind if the outside bit was leather, i might end up getting them retrimmed one day, but they will do for now :D had a tall guy sit in the passenger seat and he had no issues, except had to duck to get out!

#7 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking, although it has to be better than vinyl, lol. but isn't leather ment to actully breath?

i still wouldn't mind if the outside bit was leather, i might end up getting them retrimmed one day, but they will do for now :D had a tall guy sit in the passenger seat and he had no issues, except had to duck to get out!

Any day time pics of your car man?........from all angles.

#8 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

only really whats in the gallery here and on classiczcars

however in about 3 weeks time expect a whole lot more :D

#9 Deus Ex

Deus Ex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hey Evan..i signed up lol

Anyway i noticed you said you were looking for WRX seats...i have access to some for a steal, but i thought they were to wide to fit in a Z?

Was i mistaken?

#10 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

yes you were,

have a look at this link!!!!http://viczcar.com/f...opic.php?t=1216

thats a wrx seat in there, still needs bracketry made, when i gat around to it by my mates in no rush!!!!

nato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users