22 replies to this topic

#21 rb25240z

rb25240z

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

Wally, I know its too late now but I thought I could give people more info about the mx5 conversion since I did one in my car a few years ago. The rack mounts do have to be modified to a more square shape to fit the rack. The drivers side engine mount pedestal has to have a bit of a notch cut out to clear the steering shaft. The inner tie rods need to be shortened and re threaded by from memory 80mm a side(been a while might not be 80mm). Also flat areas need to be re machined to allow a spanner to be used again. The shortening only cost me $100 at an engineering shop. N14 Pulsar tie rods are then fitted on the ends. The rest, steering shaft, pump, lines etc I guess would be the same with any conversion. I have used both a Rb25 and Cosmo pump and there is no noticeable difference. Also I don't remember the rack being off center, if it was I think I would have started again with a different rack.
Driving the car the turning circle is great better than most cars. The steering is light when driving slow but could be a little heavier at freeway speeds. At first I found it a little twitchy at speed but don't notice it anymore. I have heard of some cars that have a switch that gives less assistance once you pasted car park speeds which could be good but haven't looked anymore into it.

Also from my experience every engineers has a different interpretation of the rules and what one says cant be done is not a problem with another. Over the years I have been told ,no a RB25DET is too powerful for a 240z by one engineer then next engineer on the list asks why just a RB25? If your going to all the effort, why don't you put something bigger in?
Don't get me wrong you still have to meet all the rules, power to weight etc but there is room to move.

#22 perrin_07

perrin_07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

out of curiosity, what is the rough price for a conversion? great to hear the different prices for different models.

#23 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Hi not trying to hijack this thread. But I go a PM question about my power steering conversion. My link is here (below) which they must not have found. Just trying to keep it all linked together for someone considering a conversion.
Cheers Craig
http://www.viczcar.c...pic,9607.0.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users