#61 Patch

Patch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

Personally if none of the sections are locked, and you are only interested in looking, what would be the point of joining up, so less people to help pay for the site, personally not a good decision.
In my own case I googled and found this site because I wanted to sell my 240z, the only reason I joined up was to post that, after that I had a look around and liked what I have seen, The sale fell though and this site has given me the encouragement that I may one day finish my project and decided to keep it for now until I finish the house.

I also have a 306 Cab for the lady, I needed to know stuff and found another forum that was locked, no big deal I joined to get the information I wanted, and have stayed and have a read most days, yet another site would not accept my only email address a yahoo account which I have used for years,I have never bothered with applying again with another address.

This site is the only one I belong to that doesn't have a members only section.
If it makes members feel safer can't see the problem.
But security is in the hands of the poster.

#62 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

Exactly... How hard is it to rack 50 posts if you are keen to make a few bucks?  It segregates people and makes people look elitist.

#63 daw260z

daw260z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, Paint. I know it comes with every installation of Windoze on this side of the pond since Windoze ME...

Oh yeah of course. ;D

While you can see the car on Google maps, that doesn't mean that it is still in the same location. The pictures are usually 6 months old at least.

Photos posted online matched the google maps pictures. I had a job around the corner and drove past to see if anyone was around and the car was still there. The point is its pretty easy to find out where a car is, even for a simple tradie like me.

#64 Patch

Patch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

While reading this noticed 48guests and 3 members. says it all.

#65 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

i often don't bother to log in while checking out the latest posts etc - i'm sure others are the same?

Post count requirements are annoying, having to be a paying member doesn't ensure anything as if i was intending to steal some expensive stuff from someone, who cares about spending $20...

The only way that a trustworthiness type system could work is if an administrator approves them, or say 3 'trustworthy' members, so that way a mate can't just approve his mate, who in turn approves his dodgy mate. We could have a thread dedicated to people asking to be approved to save it constantly coming up everywhere

Although I know i'd be annoyed if say hybridz implemented such a system...their interesting and rediculous builds is the reason i go there

#66 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

But then that still prevents legitimate people (and 99% of them are) from contributing and just because they may be new to the scene/forum/internet, doesn't stop them from having valuable input. 

#67 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

I don't like post count... how many posts does Gordon Dobie have?

+1

#68 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

And I have had issues over at HybridZ due to my post count. I would frequent the site but never really contribute as I felt those guys were far more technical than I. Then I came to post something (can't remember what section/for) and couldn't due to my post count. I felt like a member as I had signed up years ago and regularly visited the site but as I hadn't actually contributed enough information to the site I was excluded.

#69 Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Tagline:Canuckian

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

And I have had issues over at HybridZ due to my post count. I would frequent the site but never really contribute as I felt those guys were far more technical than I. Then I came to post something (can't remember what section/for) and couldn't due to my post count. I felt like a member as I had signed up years ago and regularly visited the site but as I hadn't actually contributed enough information to the site I was excluded.

Probably a good thing anyway. You would have just likely been told to search, "It's all be answered before."  ::)

Sometimes I really hate that site, and other times I know it's the site that will be easiest to access the info I'm looking for.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't...

#70 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

Exactly... How hard is it to rack 50 posts if you are keen to make a few bucks?  It segregates people and makes people look elitist.

I'd have to agree with you, also if Auszcar was like this (post counts, locked sections) when I was looking to join it would have put me off, clubs/forums can be very odd places for non regulars. I like the way everything and everyone is accessable on this forum and thats our biggest drawcard I believe.

I've been a member on here now for many years and this is the first time I can recall this happening, hopefully first and last! Is all the extra security worth it at the cost of potential new members  :-\

There's always a few dirtbags that spoil it for the rest of us!

#71 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

All that's needed for certain information to get passed on to the wrong person is for a friend to mention it to another friend then gets over heard by someone else then for that individual to do some "Googling" to find out all that he/she needs. No matter how much you lock out of the forum, the scum of the earth will always find a way. Best thing you can do is secure all your prized possessions, (alarm, CCTV, insure etc) and as one smart teacher told me "C.Y.A......Cover Your A$$)

#72 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

I'm with Gareth on this, i know it wont happen to me again as i have fixed the shed .. i love the site as it is, it would be horrible if its friendly nature was changed because my shed was broken into....

#73 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

While reading this noticed 48guests and 3 members. says it all.

hmmmm disagree there a little....I suspect its more like 18 guests & 30 regulars who dont login because there is a glitch with their settings not remembering their username....Im lucky as I only have to re-enter my login details every 6 months or so.

#74 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

hmmmm disagree there a little....I suspect its more like 18 guests & 30 regulars who dont login because there is a glitch with their settings not remembering their username....Im lucky as I only have to re-enter my login details every 6 months or so.

Well the forum software will only show guests and regulars based on their logged in status. Google Analytics however will show me activity on the site based on those who have signed in (within the last 2 years) compared with those who have never signed in.

I can tell you that less than 1/3 of site activity is from members. The rest is from guests who are potential future members.

I don't want to detract from the current topic though.

Also as far as I know the having to re-login issue should not be present still? Unless people still have this problem? I often browse the site not signed in either from work at elsewhere as I'm sure members do.

#75 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

2. It is security now, moreso than before. But just a little bit more privacy for our investments/passions.
As has been highlighted

I don't know if a locked section will really provide much more security though.

For example let's say a "member" with access to a locked section can see images of your project and decides to send a link directly to the image to a friend or post it on another forum thread elsewhere on the web. People are going to see this image.

For example your avatar image is here:
http://www.viczcar.c...498;type=avatar

Now I could lock down all "hot linking" to images, and I have considered this due to the bandwidth it can use. However sometimes this can be a good way of attracting traffic from other sites and threads to this site.

You would be surprised what other websites and forums link back to Auszcar.com I've gone through various logs and seen sites and conversations about topics on Auszcar discussed elsewhere.

So whilst the thread itself may not be visible to outsiders the images could still be viewed. I assume that it's the images that people are most sensitive about?

Other things people could consider from a security perspective.

1. Don't include street signs in images (if you take a photo outside your house). That includes house number etc..
2. Cover the licence plate using image editing software. Unfortunately I don't know of a good tool that can do this automatically. I think it would be a good feature for Google Picasa to do (since it already has face recognition) recognising a number plate should be easy.

3. Be deliberately vague about your location. If you prefer use Victoria or S.E Suburbs. This is a tough call because often it's helped members network.

4. I'm sure there is more but this is just a few ideas.

#76 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

I'm with Gareth on this, i know it wont happen to me again as i have fixed the shed .. i love the site as it is, it would be horrible if its friendly nature was changed because my shed was broken into....

I also think that keeping build threads open is a good way to attract new business since people can see your skills and work first hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users