18 replies to this topic

#1 be-zed

be-zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

After being in the QLD Z Car Club for more years than I wish to think about . I finally changed over to S rego plates and got full Comp Insurance from Shannons for agreed value . The savings are huge . If you have your Z in your name the change does not require a safety certificate.

#2 silverz

silverz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

Hi,
Sorry for appearing ignorant however does S registration have restrictions such as only drive on club events etc?

Regards
Peter

#3 Linton

Linton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Tagline:1976 260z 2+2 Sunburst 1989 300zx Z32TT 2+2 Black

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

g'daypeter
as you are in victoria I can answer that and it is no, you now have a logbook that you fill in each time the car is used, taking it down the street to blow up the tyres counts as 1 you have 89 left. at least that is what our local goup does you just have to be a member of a car club to get club plates

#4 silverz

silverz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Linton,
I only just registered the car in Victoria $805 in QLD or $540 something in Victoria - so a no brainer really.

I am interested in the S rego as a possibility when I move back to QLD (family are still there)
Thanks for answering my question.

Regards
Peter

#5 BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

I think in QLD it's more limited - http://www.tmr.qld.g...concession.aspx

#6 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

In Victoria you have 90 days (or 45 days) allocated per year where you can drive your car on any day for any reason. You are allowed to drive up to 100m from your house without filling out the log book (so a quick shakedown is ok).

You get given a log book with 90 entries in it where you have to fill in the date, particulars of use, driver on the day and the driver's signature. For $115 a year plus significantly cheaper insurance I'm not complaining at all :D

#7 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

I wish we had that system up here. I'd have both my zeds on club rego.

At the moment I only have my 240 on club rego here in QLD. It allows travel within 15K of home for testing. It allows travel to and from a mechanic to have work done. It allows travel to and from events which are organised by your club or which you are representing your club at.

You need to be a club member to apply club rego (actually concessional Rego) to your vehicle. Technically you are supposed to remain a club member but I know a lot of people don't because Main roads never check.

Its actually more complicated but that's a summary in a few sentences.

#8 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Wish it was like US. I recall Rev saying it was only $35 for a classic car.

#9 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

In Q anyway you are allowed to use personal plates instead of the dreaded S plates, makes the car a bit less conspicuous to the police. Insurance is probably the biggest restriction though if the car is insured on the basis that it's on club rego.

#10 aegean

aegean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

I have a few a cars on Qld historic rego and some on Vic. The changes to the Vic system is a step in the right direction, but since I drive the cars in Sydney, I have never been stopped. The Qld system is more expensive and more restrictive, but as stated, you can have personalised plates, so it does make it less obvious. I have never been asked by my insurance company if they are registered as normal or historic.

#11 zed74

zed74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Wish it was like US. I recall Rev saying it was only $35 for a classic car.

I think this is WHY the USA is "technically insolvent"!! :)

#12 be-zed

be-zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

A word of warning .
QLD guys may have to prove that they belong to a Incorporated club for S plates at renewal each year. Or so the girl at main roads tells me.
With any luck she was just yanking my chain to make sure I was really a member of a car club.
I find I only use the 260 on club events and club business and to get spare parts anyway. You may have a problem when pulled over if the back of your Z is full of groceries. Just tell them supplies for a Club BBQ.
Still saving a good chunk of money to pay for the next LAPZ event entry fees.   

#13 aegean

aegean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

I just renewed two QLD registered cars and did it via BPay so no need to prove membership of a club. However, in Victoria you do. The renewal papers must be sent to the club to confirm that you are a financial member.

#14 eddii

eddii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

Personally I wouldn't register my car as restricted rego if i would use it other than what the requirements are for S-plates. Too much of a risk if you happen to be involved in an accident. And cops will fine you if they find out....obviously LOL. 

#15 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

I just renewed two QLD registered cars and did it via BPay so no need to prove membership of a club. However, in Victoria you do. The renewal papers must be sent to the club to confirm that you are a financial member.

Your sidebar says you are in NSW yet you have QLD SI number plates.
If we as club members, abuse the system the scheme will be cancelled. If a non club member is abusing the scheme, ie not complying, and we all loose the scheme, well a lot of us won't be to enthused!

One option to not displaying the S I xxxxxx plates is to opt for a traditional plate in white on black that starts with the letter N O or P these are allowable under the QLD scheme

#16 aegean

aegean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

Your sidebar says you are in NSW yet you have QLD SI number plates.
If we as club members, abuse the system the scheme will be cancelled. If a non club member is abusing the scheme, ie not complying, and we all loose the scheme, well a lot of us won't be to enthused!

I also have Vic historic plates, but these vehicles are in the corresponding states most of the time. With the new Vic system, it is no problem as long as the log book is filled in - different story with Qld.

#17 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

Jason

I could not agree more, as permit Plate Secretary for the NDSOC we have seen abuse of the scheme in the past that almost caused our rights to the scheme to be revoked by Vic Roads (which would have impacted 60+ permit plate holders in our club).
Now that the 90 day log book has been introduced here in Vic the onus is now off the club to police the use and up to the permit holder to ensure the scheme is not abused. We still have rigorous requirements around membership and vehicle eligibility.

Can the QLD Z club not get together with other car clubs and petition QLD Roads to adopt the 90 day log book scheme ........it took nearly 7 years in Victoria to be adopted by Vic Roads but we got there eventually.

Alan

BTW

Sure I can't twist your arm to part with an H190 LSD centre  ;D

#18 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

The set up in QLD is pretty loose, originally it was done for old horrors like T buckets and model A ford, etc, that were in original cond and not modified, that got stretched out and now it is quite "loose" compared to other states, we know it can be abused hence the requirement for incorporated car clubs "dating" officer to approve a car for ergo, the requirement for annual membership in some QLD transport offices is often not asked for, hence some can get away with continual Special Interest ergo plates.
To even try to get State Gov and QLD Tpt to do what we tha car enthusiasts want is nigh on impossible, but if they get a whiff of a possible revenue raiser like charging for issued logbooks they will jump onto it like a flash, I am sure!

Btw I will keep an eye out for a limo h190 a rally guy up here has a couple I can ask him, he posted a for sale on Oscar a couple of months back.

Aegean, please join a car club, just in case a Transport office asks you to prove membership. As Pres of Z club QLD you are welcome, if you don't want to be in the Sydney mob!

#19 aegean

aegean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Aegean, please join a car club, just in case a Transport office asks you to prove membership. As Pres of Z club QLD you are welcome, if you don't want to be in the Sydney mob!

I am in a car club - several actually, and that is how/why I have historis/club plates. Where did you get the idea I wasn't ? What I did say was that there is no checking done by Qld Transport when you renew it, but the clubs themselves are fairly strict on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users