33 replies to this topic

#21 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Well its been ages since my last update, and a fair bit has been happening on the Zed but I will wait until I have decent photos before I indulge in the story.

On another note, I have had to enlarge the stable, just bought a 1600, to be my daily.
Datsun's are just in the blood.
The 1600 is in very original condition bar the L18. She does need a bit of rust repair and some body work around the front right corner. Plan to bring her back to original without any major mods.

If anyone has or knows where to find a decent RHS front guard and a bonnet please let me know.
I'm in Sydney but happy to pay postage for decent panels.

Cheers
Mick

Attached Thumbnails

• 36883_0ff145c85b4ae0d776b83aecad008efcf02b4ed2.jpg
  • 36881_53bb4a43d5a6d47dc8730c143412813dd374fc0b.jpg
  • 36877_02a6bba648e640a2d12ea34465eb50601d8c606e.jpg
  • 36879_c3c0aaaacace607d2801f58ef1bc950544e42871.jpg

#22 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

There's a place called 1600 Spares in Howitt St Ballarat. Maybe give them a try?

http://www.facebook....2430379?fref=ts

#23 bluerat

bluerat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

They have just started stamping out new front guards to suit the 1600 Mick. Dural Datsun were test fitting a set, try them on Facebook. If you have trouble with finding a steel bonnet try Alpha fibreglass in Melb, they do a top job. Grab a R30 5 speed, shorter and bolt in with no mod's and a 4.1 diff and she will be as sweet as!!

Sorry just spotted she is an Auto, just go the 4.1!!

Hodgo 

#24 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Hodgo, sounds promising, I will look into that.

Cheers Mate

#25 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:15 AM

G'day all

Well here goes my 6 monthly update.

First I rebuilt my front end much the same as the rear end, sprayed everything pretty, had the rack rebuilt, new bushes, lowered king springs and Tokico Iluminas. As others have found, the front still sits to high and would look better 15-20mm lower. I would also like some more camber but haven't decided on which way to go, adjustable strut tops or control arms.
At the same time I had my brake booster rebuilt, put in a new master cylinder and rebuilt the original calipers.
The car now handles and brakes well.

Now that I had the steering and stopping sorted, it was time to look at some more power.
I canned the idea of building the motor myself and got James and Brett at MIA on the case.
I went with a relatively conservative build and couldn't be happier with the results.
L28, triple 40 webers, 2.5" mandrel exhaust and it's knocking out 210hp and 300ftlb at the tyres.
The boys were always mindful of my tight budget and full of helpful advice.
If you're thinking of having a motor built, I recommend you give them a call.

I also made up an exhaust heat shield and radiator shroud to keep the intake cool

The Z now feels really good so I'm going to try my hand at regularity for the first time next month

On the other side of the stable, the 1600 has been getting some love, but that's for my next post, probably about Christmas.

Cheers
Mick

Attached Thumbnails

• 41918_130cffe606161f6f500987b52b4271e11b873100.jpg

#26 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Did you rebuild the brake booster Mick or did you have someone do it for you?

Engine bay looks the goods. :)

#27 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Nice work Mick. That heat shield looks really good! I'll be keeping an eye on the 1600 work too, doing one with my brother at the moment.

What was the cause of that crank failure?

#28 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hi Guys
Thanks for your interest.
George, I had the booster rebuilt by Weldon Brake and Clutch in Miranda http://www.weldonbrakes.com.au They are good guys and reasonably cheap. They have been able to supply all replacement brake and clutch items for my Z without any dramas.

Gareth, I don't know why the crank had snapped where it did, I assume it is the natural harmonics and maybe due to not being a full counterweight crank. I think some others on here will probably know more than me.

I'm quite happy with the shield too, it was pretty simple to fold up and only cost about $40 for the sheet from Repco.
James from MIA gave me a template which I used as a guide but ended up a bit different.
It's just sandwiched between the manifolds and bolted off to the engine mount bracket.

I plan on concentrating on the 1600 now. It needs a bit of rust repair which is new to me, give me spanners any day. Pretty much all the mechanicals are done bar the rear suspension and rear brakes, the diff sounds pretty nasty too but still to work out what needs to be done there. Also needs carpet and seats, I picked up a set of Mazda 3 seats off eBay for $20 but still to see how they fit and look. My plan is to make it my daily and I like the idea of having it ready for the start of next year but you know what happens when you make plans.

Cheers all
Mick

#29 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

Wow! 3 years since my last update.
Well, to be honest I haven't done a huge amount in the shed for a couple years, it's just been general maintenance and minor tinkering on the Z to keep it on the road and track. Instead, had baby number 3 and bought another house to renovate.
A couple months ago I got hold of some 15x8 +4 track wheels and was given some used semis but they are now toast and I need to go tyre shopping.
In the last 3 years I have done about 10-15 track days. Mostly regularity and a couple super sprints at SMSP but also a couple down at Wakefield. My times have slowly come down but I am always thinking of how to go faster, It's a disease.

This long weekend I got to the bottom of a couple issues. First was rebuilding the indicator and high beam switches. The indicator switch now works every time. 👍 I also found a loose LHR shock gland nut which was clunking. Lastly I cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes before a quick test drive through the Natio.
I noticed the windscreen fogging and the vent to the screen not blowing. I think the cables/flaps are seized and need a bit of attention.

Finally, no updates on the 1600, it is currently used as a shelf and is waiting my time and money.

Here's a couple pics of the Z.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3806.JPG
  • IMG_2635.JPG

• gav240z, George, PeterAllen and 3 others like this

#30 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

Are those the new Enkie wheels Mick, what sort of weight are they?

Cars looking great

#31 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

Hi Gareth, thanks for your comment
Yeah she's wearing 15x8 +4 Rota RB's with 225/45 Nitto NT01's in the pic with numbers on the car and 15x7 +0 Enkei Compe's with 205/60 Potenza RE11's in the other pic.
Unfortunately I don't know the weight of either setup. I do know they are much lighter than the old 16x7 +20 Performance wheels with 205/55 Toyo RA1's I had. I will try weigh them up sometime.
I like the Enkei's myself.

Cheers

#32 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Tagline:Often lost

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Enkei's do look good Mick, and your car looks great. Hope my one looks like that one day soon.
Gareth I have some of these exact wheels in the box I can stick one on the scales for you to get the weight if you like.

Jeff.

#33 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

Thanks Jeff, It was more curiosity as I had heard they were light weight. Sounds like you have excellent taste in wheels too! 

#34 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words Jeff.
I'm sure your car will turn out much prettier than mine. Mine looks better in pics than in the flesh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users