#81 Tj

Tj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Tagline:J-Tin addict

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

So, erm... on Sunday I accidentally ended up in a car show  ???

Let me elaborate. I was recovering from a rather large Saturday night when I remembered that SDC's All Datsun Day was running out at prospect pub which is fairly local to me. So I pile in my Zed (keeping in mind that it's my daily driver, my only car) and cruised down.
I pulled into the carpark and it's packed with people and many many gorgeous Datsuns (mostly 1600's) so I'm crawling through trying to figure out where to park when I bloke in a Sydney Datsun Club shirt waves me over and says "park it over there" pointing between a rather tidy 1600 and a really nice 1200 coupe right in the middle of the display! I tell him I'm only dropping in for a sticky beak and not entering the show (it was about lunch time at this stage) to which he grins and replies "doesnt matter! You're in a Datsun!" Alright, I figure. What the hell. So I back it into the spot just opposite Stiva's embarrassingly (for me) hot (and low!!) sled and a pants tighteningly clean and original 300ZX Turbo complete with beige and maroon velour interior and digital dash and wonder how long it'll be before someone notices my crappy rims, rust bubbles and derp-face bent front bumper. 

Didn't need to wait long it turned out, but not quite what I was expecting. I'd barely finished parking it and people were grinning at me, taking photos and then some guy asks me to open the bonnet! Surprised the hell out of me! Luckily I had washed it a few days before but it was little more than a quick rinsing off of all the dust that accumulates on it at work and a pretty half arsed wash at that.

Posted Image

So I left it there with the windows down and bonnet open. I even caught a few more people checking it out a bit later. I didn't hang around long, the heat was not doing my hang over any favours and I managed to pick myself up an afternoon project while I was at it too!
I bought a new repro front bar to replace the afore mentioned derp-face bumper I was rocking.

The result has transformed the front end of the car and I'm no longer embarrassed about people seeing it!

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Like I said, huge difference!

I enjoyed my albeit brief entry to All Datsun Day and it's given me a bit of encouragement to press on with the old duck.

#82 Tj

Tj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Finally! after months of fart-arseing around I've at last got the flares painted and fitted (incl cutting the arches. In for a penny....)

I'm pretty pleased with the result

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now that it's done though I'm a little iffy on the wheels. They're just too damn big in diameter!
I've actually taken them off for the mean time as I'm still using this as my daily and I'd like to avoid a defect and with these it'd only be a matter of time I think.

Anyway, with all that said I'm ready to sell it again. I just don't have the room or money for another weekend car and it's just gotten too out of hand for a daily driver. It's been fun but it's time to move on.

I'll be posting in the classifieds shortly.

#83 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Like it lots, the diameter of the wheel means nothing in the national code. It's all about width.

#84 DTF260

DTF260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Tagline:76' 260z 3.1L Stroker

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

i agree completely on the wheels being too large.
i have 17x9 and 9.5 on mine at the moment and am in the process of getting some 16in watanabes to replace them. IMO 17in is just too large. 15in is about right but to achieve a nice "look" I think road clearance becomes an issue..
on a side note, has anyone with these rotas got an accurate weight of them?

#85 Tj

Tj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Bloody heavy would be my estimate  :-\

#86 77260Z

77260Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Car is looking awesome dude. The flares and the wheels really set it off. I was looking at the same style rotas in the same size and offset and I think this has convinced me to go that option.

What size tyres are you running? Stock ride height?

#87 Tj

Tj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

No not stock ride height, tokico Illuminas that dropped it significantly (check the photos from the start of the thread  :o ) having said that with these rims on it's jacked the ground clearance up again  >:( When I calculated rolling diameters I guess I didn't compensate for sidewall flex. Or just plain goofed. It's possible.

The wheels are 17x9 -13 & 17x9.5 -19 with 225/45 & 255/40 front and rear respectively.
No spacers  8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users