Tj's '77 260Z 2+2

Tj

Well that's the thing. I realised one night that it does drive great. It's just the driver that needed some adjustments.

I realised I was expecting too much from it, probably because of the way my GF's galant turned out. That's a fantastically reliable and easy to drive classic but that's because it has a modern efi motor in it. I was expecting it to drive like that.

The car and I had come to an agreement. I don't expect the unreasonable from it and it behaves. Once I adjusted my attitude I really started to have some fun driving it.

Just ordered some clear headlight covers too  ;D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My rear wing should be here next week from MSA and will set the BUS off real good after I paint it and the front spoiler. Will post pics on my own thread. Sorry to hijack this one. ;)

No problem Peter. I'd be interested to see your wing, I think to make them sit properly on a 2+2 they need to be modified a bit. It's something I'll look at down the line a little.

Great to see you're keeping it and have re-fallen in love with it.

But as a daily, I'd reconsider the fender mirrors IMHO.

Have you driven a car with them? Would be fine for a weekend warrior, but for a daily driver, battling Sydney traffic? Your call.

Then again after reading your journal Tai, I am more than convinced to scrap the ugly looking roofline for the 2-seater  :'(

I mean our vehicle's did not come with a retro HKS turbo setup or anything, and the amount of problem's that TJ (and I) have encountered with these dodgy L26's... Just puts a bad taste in your mouth (thinking of) driving these vehicles...

No TJ,you are not the only one - My 2+2 has minor flat spots every now and again and carbons up the plugs aswell. I wonder if the elec dizzy will correct these issues though  ::)

While an electronic dizzy has made a noticeable improvement it didn't cure it. It's all in the mixtures. What I really need to do is invest in a wideband O2 sensor, a laptop with appropriate data logging software, a swag of assorted carby internals and then someone to explain to me what it all means. Honestly the only pricey bit in all that (considering I already have a spare laptop kicking around) would be the jets and so forth for the webers. They're silly expensive.

As for the fender mirrors no I haven't tried using them and yes I am aware they're different but I've heard varying opinions on them so I guess its a personal thing. I guess I'll find out

I still can't make up my mind on wheel colour. On one hand the polished lip looks great and really announces your negative offset, but the matt is not as common and that in itself appeals to me.

Still conflicted  :-\

I reckon go black. As you said it appeals to you. Go with what you really want, as everyone has different tastes.

Also have you considered going efi? Should cure most of your problems. Worth it in the long run.

And guys don't get me wrong. The 2+2 roofline doesnt look bad, just look at the one in this thread or the grey on on the intermanets..it just didnt tick the boxes for what my goals were which was a 240z..its essentially the same car under the skin anyway, if not better. ;)

Yeah, I think I've settled on Matt Black. It's just different enough.

And yes I had considered EFI but when I bought this motor I recall saying something to myself along the lines of "I want to keep this old school" (on account of just having gone to great labours and expense to put an EFI motor into my GF's Galant) but I think it may have actually been "It'll be great to have three of Bologna's finest howling Hell's national anthem from under my bonnet"

In retrospect I sound like a dumbass  ;D

Anyway, I'm sure with more tinkering it could run a whole lot better.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I'd need to run an EFI head to use the factory EFI setup due to the little cutouts at the tops of the inlet ports made to physically fit the injectors into the head, right?

Anyway, I was thinking about this the other day and I think if I were to make another engine for this I'd seriously look at a mild L28ET setup. I think for a street car it'll net similar power with a lot more drivability than a highly strung N/A EFI (as much as I do love a grumpy sounding N/A) plus it'll keep it old school and simple to work on as opposed to an RB of some description.

I'll be ordering bits soon so hopefully after I get settled into the new house I can get some work done  ;D

Man my first engine was a flat top f54 p90 and twin carby it went hard then stocko zx n42/54 went well now I got a l28et in the second z I can say you wouldent think it was the same engine god damn do they go Haha makes the stocks rb25det that I wanted for the first z seem like silly talk  :P

Im not sure about the injector holes on the head..i remember reading a thread about it recently by Dat2kman. It'll probably be easier to just get a complete l28 or buy a complete 280zx and use the engine and sell the rest.

I've been in a couple of Z's including my own with efi and can say drivabilty wise they are better compared to stock carbs..but then again im from the new school, so its more familiar to me. ;D

As for the l28et, although i only had a few short drives with the l28et/auto in my car before removal.  I reckon it was faster than my old stock skyline and 180sx. I think a stock l28et has like 140kw, which isn't much off a sr20/rb20 that are in heavier bodies. And the l28et although not as good sounding as triples, sound better than most cars on the road :).

Also my bro imported a good condition 84' l28et from usa landed at his door for $1100 for his 240k. Which could be something for you to consider doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So can anyone tell me what I'll get when I take this;

5977801754_42fc4f83ea_b.jpg

And add this;

airdam.jpg

These;

mirrors.jpg

A pair of these;

lights.jpg

a couple of these

flares.jpg

aaand a set of these

wheels.jpg

.... No, seriously. someone tell me because I just bought all of that stuff  ;D

Hey mate,

I was wondering if we could see some pics of the ride height since you installed the tokico's?

I'm looking at getting some myself and keen to see the difference!

I'm not ignoring this mate, I'll try and do it this weekend. The weather has been atrocious and the car's been rugged up out of the rain.

The car's already much lower than that first pic, it's a bit old. That was running the stock safari spec suspension but I'm now running Tockico Illuminas (and I promise I'll get some photos up this weekend) but I can't really go any lower, it only just makes it over the speed humps in my street as it is.

And yeah, I'm going to have to cut the guards  :-\ I'd prefer not to have to but they're going to be 17x9 -13 and 17x9.5 -19 staggered so I can't really get away with it.

I forgot to mention I got another set of bumper bars of Carlos out at Sportsclassic. He doesn't have much zed stuff left these days. Back when I first met him it was his bread and butter.

Anyway, I've got some special plans for them that I'm hopefully going to get to pay with this weekend. Might work, might not. We'll see  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Found all this hanging out of the letterbox the other day  ;D

IMAG0187.jpg

My wheels seem as though they're being carried on the back of some dude walking to Sydney from Perth  :-\ I'm a bit disappointed as it would have made things a lot easier had I been able to work on it over the last couple of weeks. Oh well.

Decided against my little idea for the bumpers for the moment. It will just be a little too much work.

I was going to smooth them out, filling in all the bolt holes and deleting the overriders and even welding the rear bar into one smooth piece but after talking to my old man he reckons that he wouldn't be able to do the welds with his skills / equipment without blowing holes straight through the thin steel.

I'm sure someone could do it but that would involve paying for it which is where I lost the enthusiasm. I want to keep it cheap.

I'll talk to the guys that I'm getting to cut and weld my wheel arches about it and see what they thing but I think I'll just paint them for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

These paid me a visit at work today...

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

Definitely gonna need those flares  ;D

... although, with my ride height I'm wondering if I can get away with just rolling the guards.... might get a better idea when I get rubber on those badboys.

I know, just moved into a new place and therefore away from dads well equipped workshop  :-[

I had no intentions of getting under the car, but stands are on the list. I just got impatient  ::)

• 3 weeks later...

So I haven't been able to make progress on the flares/wheels situation as I can't be without a car at the moment but that doesn't mean there's not anything to play with so here's the first external modification for the car since I bought it 

IMG_2270small.jpg

Fender mirrors!  ;D

They're actually a massive improvement over the crappy old door mirrors I had before and they cover the traditional blind spots very well. The only time i've struggled with them is reverse parking but I've always been rubbish at that  ::)

That photo (that my GF took the other day when we were out for a drive so yeah, that's me looking like a dope in the car  :-[) is serving as motivation to get the new bodywork sorted out so I can get the ugly as sin subframe covered up by the front air dam and get my new bumpers painted and fitted. It also doesn't help that the car is filthy as hell at the moment, one of the downsides to working at a Quarry I guess.

Hopefully more soon.