New design for VicZcar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:56 PM

Ok I promised myself I'd keep it under wraps until it was ready but I figured I could use some feedback on my design for the website since you as users have to use it afterall.

This is an early draft of the overall look of the site. It will probably take a very similar format to that of classiczcars.com since I like how the latest photos and forum activity is displayed on the front page etc..

Now before you say anything yes the website header looks wrong I realise It needs some work as it looks out of place however all the same it gives you an idea of the layout and concept I'm working on.

So see the attached file.
:D

Attached Thumbnails

• 113_.jpg

#2 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:35 AM

I burnt the midnight oil and here's the result.
:twisted:

Attached Thumbnails

• 114_.jpg

#3 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

Hey gav,

Looks sweet. Noice carbon fibre look ;)

A comment or two. Not sure if you need to have two menu systems so close to each other. I understand the need for text based menu for accessibility, but I feel that the current incarnation is a bit of over kill. Also, did you notice that the menus don't match? Eg, sign up vs. register, etc.

I like the little box outs, that're cool. Sort of like the old school portlet websites (or is that style back again, I must stop playing so much MAME).

An idea that I've got is remove the Navigation Portlet and replace with the Latest Gallery Uploads. In place of the Latest Gallery Uploads you could have a portlet with info about what the site is about or something??

I like the colours, just a shame that not all the Datsun colours are present though.

Overall though, I like the design. It will be cool to see it implemented and live.

#4 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:22 AM

Looks great Gav. I especially like the banner on the 2nd one.

#5 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location:3 weeks in the middle of the Indian Ocean the other in Melbourne

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:39 AM

Excellent, my only suggestion would be to move the Search function to the main menu tabs.....

MOM

#6 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:32 PM

Yeah the tables look different in size mainly because they are and depending on the contents of the tables they will be various sizes. There more or less put there to give an idea of how the site will look. Lots of stuff is missing like the table containing what the site is about and the welcome message. If you look at classiczcars.com the layout will be very similar and I'll be building a content management system to take care of the latest news and stuff like that.

Yeah it is a sorta carbon fibre look. I originally thought about the old Datsun colours myself but I figured a nice modern look would be the ticket it's by no means a final product but it will give you an idea.

The picture of the Z will be in the background of the website it will give it that layered look when you scroll through some sites and the background stays stationary.

MOM the search button is up the top there mainly to fit in with website design convension next to it will be a box to type your search in and some drop down box next to that to pick what section of the site to search.

The actual buttons will change colours as you move the mouse over them I was thinking a nice orange would catch the users attention.

So you like to play MAME games too Matt I have a big collection of games i've put most of them on my Xbox :).

#7 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

Hi Gav,
Big mistake I reckon asking people what they think of your new web page design since it is all a matter of personal opinion!
However you asked and I like page 2 and suggest you listen only to constructive opinion.
Page 2 almost looks corporate and thats a fantastic achievement.
Good Luck sensational effort!
Lynton :P

#8 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

I like the second one - the extra black and white zed photos make it, i reckon....

#9 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:46 PM

I like the look of the 2nd one too. One bit of constructive criticism as Lynton stated would be to add some colour to the "carbon fibre" bar that sits directly on the top of all the buttons as this splash of colour would lead the eye to that section as the page loads up. Perhaps add the datsun colours across there. Love the banner, that 240 with the simmons has got a great tonal range in black and white.

Cheers
Sulio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users