26 replies to this topic

#21 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:03 PM

Hi Sulio, I would go for the the second group of sizes for a mild L28, baring in mind that further tuning adjustments will probably be required. You are right when you say some people think that side draught cabies have to be driven hard and at high revs to work. This usually means the carbs are not tuned correctly or linkages are not in syncro. Most people, I feel tend to go oversize with everything, expecting to achieve more power. But the reverse happens. Check out Gordon Dobie on the net. Triple 40mm Dellortos, 235bhp and good economy (10L/100klm). If Dellortos and webers were as bad as people made out, they would not have used them on so many exotic european sports cars since the 1970's. If tuned correctly you will get smooth drivable power and that great induction noise. If you use a cold air box and a pod filter it sounds more like an injected car. I use the round top SU's for everyday driving, but if I want to have a bit more getup and go I change to the Triples. With a lot of stop start driving at the lights the side draft carbies use more fuel because of the pump jets spray every time the throttle is opened. ( one throat per cylinder). On the highway good economy is achieved.Have Fun. David.

#22 JP240z

JP240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:56 PM

david,
what would you recommend for a warm 240 with a lumpy cam and shaved head?
I'm pretty sure i have drilled the jets out to mains of 150 and idles of 50, but i just cant get the revs to climb up to 2500 rpm.

#23 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:35 AM

Here is a little DOS based application that I have from a HybridZ member. He used it to calculate what chokes, jets etc he needed for his setup and advised it worked well as a guide.

This program is for 4 cyl engines so you need to recalculate engine size in cc's using.

Size in cc's divided 6 then times that by 4

So for a 2.8L it would be.
2800 divided by 6 = 467 times 4 = 1867cc

Attached Files

• Attached File  942_.zip   59.37KB   102 downloads

#24 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hi JP240z,
I am not pretending to be a carby guru, and there is so many conflicting ideas and preconceptions about what is good and how to set them up, that i'm not prepared to offer particular jetting combinations for cars. What works on my 260z may not work on another. ther are too many variables. RE: Head work, Compression ratio, camshaft, exhaust system, etc. These were starting points only. I do however suggest getting the Weber and Dellorto book that I mentioned and read it at least twice. Be cautious when buying secondhand and get them tuned by someone that knows what he is doing. These are great carbs. When you hear about people denigrating them they have probably had bad experiences trying to tune them themselves. ( If it doesn't work right it must be the carb. No way could it be the operator ). By the way NEVER drill a carby jet. Why do you think they cost so much. These are precision parts designed to do a precise job. I'm not having a go at anyone in particular, I just don't like seeing people wasting good money on someone elses problems. Expect to spend a few Dollars getting your carbs sorted out, but in the long run you will love it. Regards David.

#25 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:42 PM

Something WarrenZ put me onto re tuning and selection of tripples:

http://members.aol.c...rews/webers.htm

http://www.veloce.co...cs/pdf/V275.pdf

#26 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

Ah I am glad to say I have just recieved my carbs. They look very clean just as in the photo. It looks like they have been overhauled as they all have new springs and some of the little screws apppear to be new also. Packaging was excellent and with each carb seperatley wrapped in plastic glad wrap type and then partitioned with foam in the box. Todate great service from this guy. Time to buy a manifold and linkage kit and start doing my head in! ;D

#27 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:42 AM

Congradulations Sulio, post some photos when installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users