#161 Linton

Linton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Tagline:1976 260z 2+2 Sunburst 1989 300zx Z32TT 2+2 Black

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

thanks cozza

my wheel aligner guy was informed before he did the alignment to have a look,he said it was strange like the inside of rack has jumped a tooth or it has been put back together at sometime wrong, he adjusted it not to hit but that has created a new problem, it now has poor turning full left turn.

All Z parts will do a change over rack so I probably will go that way.shortly I had the rack out and replaced the rack mounts left side was pretty loose on the rack and the right side would not meet up but It is fitted correctly and is tight on the mounts, went for 200km drive today and it felt good but I hate knowing that there is something not right.

wheels are "performance" mag  I don't know what offset is, but they are 15x7JJ wia 12p ?

tyres are 205-60-15

#162 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Tagline:Often lost

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

Hi Linton
I don't think it's the rack. Even if it was a tooth out as the guy indicated it would still find its natural centre position. It's more likely that it's either the steering wheel is one slot out on the spline or as discussed the rod ends are not even. Suggest you centre the rack by turning full lock from one side to the other. A std z rack is 2.5 turns lock to lock. Check this then turn it to the centre. (1.25turns) And see where you end up. If it's all not alingned then something is not correctly positioned.
I had a similar problem when re assembling my car recently until I realised I had the steering wheel 180 deg out. Was a tad embarrassing and I have been coping it ever since.
Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff, 29 April 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#163 Linton

Linton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

thanks jeff, something to think  about, before the alignment my lock to lock was as you said 2.5 but the car steered straight  the tyre hit the chassis, it now has 2.5 to the right and 1.75 left wheels dont touch now drive it down the the road and the steering wheel was perfect, I think I will take it all out again recheck and maybe take elsewhere for the alignment, the guy has been in business for 30 years as a steering and suspension guru thought he should know what he was doing.

#164 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Sounds like it has been aligned straight with the steering wheel in the wrong place and the rack not central.
I bet if you get the rack in the centre position it will be steering off centre ie not straight. It's easy to miss the basics some times getting lost trying to find something that's not there. Forest for the trees.

Jeff

#165 Linton

Linton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

Sounds like it has been aligned straight with the steering wheel in the wrong place and the rack not central.
I bet if you get the rack in the centre position it will be steering off centre ie not straight. It's easy to miss the basics some times getting lost trying to find something that's not there. Forest for the trees.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

that is what happened, put the car on stands under the LCA and took some measurements, did as you suggested managed to get the rack centered, undone all the work the "experienced wheel alighner" did, "more money $$$ I shoulder just burned it" and dialed it back in using the measurements I took. The wheels no longer hit and it steers straight, the tyres are just about done  so I am not going to worry about a final alignment.

thanks again another good lesson learned I'll probably forget it by tomorrow ^-^

• CBR Jeff likes this

#166 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

Just put it down to experience Linton.
That's how I worked this problem (and many others) out previously. It's generally best to go back to basics.

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users