Linton's 260

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Been a while since I posted, We had our local car show and shine I put both my cars in  and to my delight there was one other nissan there... a Prince 6cyl with tripples  very nice it was.

if you are on Face  book check out I love portland, few nice pictures, and shannon's club in about 3 weeks for the video from "Fletch" cant wait should be good

Cheers

post-101708-0-75969900-1487497184_thumb.jpg

post-101708-0-10715000-1487497195_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, so Alan mentioned I haven't updated my build for a while so I am fiddling around with springs, so yeah you can buy lowered springs no worries but can you get shocks to match..? not on your life.

I have read posts on wire ties so they don't move,  z31shocks they are shorter, yep tried that too, basically there is nothing I can find to keep the spring captive, this all works fine in the city, but on on our shitty country roads not so much fun. Sounds like the spring is gunna come up through the bonnet sometimes, it's horrible. I have contacted a local guy who sets up race car shocks, and waiting to see if he can alter the shaft length I will let you know how I get on, maybe he might have a niche market.

std springs Vs King Springs

z321 and stock shocks

king springs with z31 shocks you can see the problem

post-101708-0-11258300-1492593304_thumb.jpg

post-101708-0-57124700-1492593371_thumb.jpg

post-101708-0-28132100-1492593437_thumb.jpg

Hi all
well still stuffing around with springs etc. I took out the steering rack to replace the mount rubbers all seemed to go straight forward, the rack felt ok, new Lower control arm bushes ,outer tie rod ends.  I was about to lower it down on the wheels but decided to check lock to lock. mind you it will have a wheel alignment done on Friday,

LH lock is fine RH lock the tyre rubs the chassis rail. I am hoping the w/a will fix this, but have the feeling it has been like it for a while from the noise I used to get on full lock before all this work was done. any thoughts

post-101708-0-46916600-1493190445_thumb.jpg

post-101708-0-45837500-1493190450_thumb.jpg

Yeah, there's only 1 or 2 threads in it. I wonder if that's enough to make the difference? I wouldn't have thought so but maybe it's worth adjusting them 1 full turn each and see if it makes the difference. Obviously your steering wheel would need recentering though.

How wide are your tyres and what offset wheels do you run?

thanks cozza

my wheel aligner guy was informed before he did the alignment to have a look,he said it was strange like the inside of rack has jumped a tooth or it has been put back together at sometime wrong, he adjusted it not to hit but that has created a new problem, it now has poor turning full left turn.

All Z parts will do a change over rack so I probably will go that way.shortly I had the rack out and replaced the rack mounts left side was pretty loose on the rack and the right side would not meet up but It is fitted correctly and is tight on the mounts, went for 200km drive today and it felt good but I hate knowing that there is something not right.

wheels are "performance" mag  I don't know what offset is, but they are 15x7JJ wia 12p ?

tyres are 205-60-15

Hi Linton

I don't think it's the rack. Even if it was a tooth out as the guy indicated it would still find its natural centre position. It's more likely that it's either the steering wheel is one slot out on the spline or as discussed the rod ends are not even. Suggest you centre the rack by turning full lock from one side to the other. A std z rack is 2.5 turns lock to lock. Check this then turn it to the centre. (1.25turns) And see where you end up. If it's all not alingned then something is not correctly positioned.

I had a similar problem when re assembling my car recently until I realised I had the steering wheel 180 deg out. Was a tad embarrassing and I have been coping it ever since.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

thanks jeff, something to think  about, before the alignment my lock to lock was as you said 2.5 but the car steered straight  the tyre hit the chassis, it now has 2.5 to the right and 1.75 left wheels dont touch now drive it down the the road and the steering wheel was perfect, I think I will take it all out again recheck and maybe take elsewhere for the alignment, the guy has been in business for 30 years as a steering and suspension guru thought he should know what he was doing.

Sounds like it has been aligned straight with the steering wheel in the wrong place and the rack not central.

I bet if you get the rack in the centre position it will be steering off centre ie not straight. It's easy to miss the basics some times getting lost trying to find something that's not there. Forest for the trees.

Jeff

Sounds like it has been aligned straight with the steering wheel in the wrong place and the rack not central.

I bet if you get the rack in the centre position it will be steering off centre ie not straight. It's easy to miss the basics some times getting lost trying to find something that's not there. Forest for the trees.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

that is what happened, put the car on stands under the LCA and took some measurements, did as you suggested managed to get the rack centered, undone all the work the "experienced wheel alighner" did, "more money $$$ I shoulder just burned it" and dialed it back in using the measurements I took. The wheels no longer hit and it steers straight, the tyres are just about done  so I am not going to worry about a final alignment.

thanks again another good lesson learned I'll probably forget it by tomorrow ^-^

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, theremm said:

Nice one. How are you finding the webers?

Absolutely bloody fantastic, no choke needed to start at any time, heaps of power, the induction noise is awesome, and 10 km/pl... big grin from ear to ear every time I drive it.