dsc01571p.jpg

Progress:

dsc01623sq.jpg

dsc01620kr.jpg

Finished almost;

dsc01625m.jpg

Drivers side;

dsc01619u.jpg

Ive been lucky so far, no rust and it all seems to be the original floor...still heaps to go...

• Moderators

Don't think I'll be doing much loading on Saturday, so Sat night will be ok for me. I'm thinking doing all the work Sunday morning..what's the avg temp in the morning? 1C or 2?

Interesting 240z you have there. I see in this pic it has no tool boxes

dsc01532ty.jpg

Yet it does not have the vented hatch which most (all that I have seen) of the cars with no tool boxes have, also the rear quarters should have no vents under the badge which is usually the 240z one on these cars with no tool boxes. Unless it is a Fairlady Z aka S30 not HS30 on the chassis code then it has a little zed badge not the 240z ones on the side. But then I see in one of your other post it is a HS3010786 which does match the centre console type, steering wheel type ie front half of the car.

I would have a close look at round as it looks like it is actually 2 cars - front from a 72 car and back from a 70 car. Does look like a good car from the pics and if made from 2 if done correctly it should not matter.

I agree with NZeder. This car is a bit of a headscratcher.......

The punched-hole rear deck style finished production around Jan/Feb 1971 for all models ( both domestic and export ), but your quoted chassis number of 'HS30-10786' says very early 1972 production ( maybe Jan/Feb ), so there's around 12 months of production between them. Most odd!

Everything else I can see on the car seems to match in with approx date of the chassis number ( vented rear quarters, non-vented tailgate, console style, dash style, etc ) but the rear deck does not. But who would replace a rear deck, and indeed why? Conversely the rear quarters, tailgate, console, dash and - not saying this IS the case, but MIGHT be - the chassis number are all 'replaceable' / changeable.

I see evidence of ( honest and well done ) older repairs to the car in the floors. The only part of the floors that is original factory sheetmetal is the rear section of the passenger floor. Notice the pressed-in contours and stamped out holes of that section compared with the flat and featureless style of the other sections. They have obviously been replaced. Nothing wrong with that ( it looks well done ) but I'd drill some coin-sized holes in them and put rubber plugs in for emergency drainage if it were mine. Maybe the old repairs on the car are more extensive than you think?

Not trying to worry you here! I've seen a two seater "240Z" coupe with a 'GRS30' chassis number competing on a rally before now ( turns out it was actually the front half of a 260Z 2+2 grafted onto the back half of a crashed 240Z.... ) so nothing would surprise me. Maybe worth looking a bit deeper ( look for manufacturing date stamps on components, for example ) to try to get to the bottom of it?

Looks like it was '920 Gold' colour originally. Good shade! 

Thanks for the input. Now that I have the interior all bown the bare metal almost, I can see what you are saying! I'm very new to Zeds and older Datsuns in general, but I can see the floors have been replaced, ad as you say, they appear to be well done. I cannot see any evidence of any other repairs - maybe you can?

Thanks again, Im hoping I havent purchased a lemon of some sort though!!

See everyone this afternoon I hope too.

A few snaps of tonights working bee...

9d4e3a61.jpg

86d7e9bb.jpg

7a416c91.jpg

dae5ee45.jpg

The valance in front of the windscreen was removed to tidy up and look for rust.  The aircon was removed from the engine bay and the tail lights and surround were removed to find rust.  Pretty productive really.

Its all about the weight reduction...

Sorry bout the bad quality shots.

• 2 weeks later...

well the bbq turned out to be a meet & greet, working bee & farewell..

Young Dallas is off with the troops for a stint in downtown Afghanistan leaving this weekend...

just leave the keys to the 240 under the door-matt & Scott & me & Dingo will look after it  ;D

all the best from the Canberra Zed community !