New 240Z In Town...

Dallas

Hi Gents,

The car failed RWC on account of;

RH Lower Ball Joint

RH Radius Rod Bushes

Blinker Too Slow;

RHR Drive Shaft Uni Joint.

I've ordered appropriate replacement parts to rectify these issues ASAP. And here is where I am at with the interior. Please note this isnt a restoration, It's a car that's origonal and clean (in my opinion), but needs some love. So I took the front seats out and the carpet to see what I would find:

Passenger side:

dsc01580ya.jpg

dsc01572ij.jpg

Passenger under seat:

dsc01579wo.jpg

Drivers:

dsc01575vb.jpg

Under drivers seat:

dsc01582j.jpg

The crap found under the carpets:

dsc01583p.jpg

The worst bit of rust I've found in the car:

dsc01573t.jpg

I've already sanded that back to bare metal and treated it, it was mainly surface anyway...so I'm doing really well.

Lindsay at the Z Shop in Melbourne has been working on this Zed for awhile, still has all original floor pan and such in place...now to get rid of 40 years worth of dirt, grime and bullshit.

Under the sound deadening it was actually wet, the carpets were damp and stained and require replacement...no wonder these things rust so easily.

Any suggestions as to if I should put some sound deadener down? I'm unsure!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mate,

Looking awesome!! Up to you with the sound deadening, makes a big difference as they can be quite noisy otherwise!! Dynamat is the good stuff (very expensive ) though with mine i just POR-15'd the floors then got 10mm foam sound deadening with foil on one side stickyback on the other from clark rubber.

Was fairly cheap also!!

Ben

Just make sure you get rid of the source before you put any sound deadening in or it will just keep happening.  I found the corners of my windscreen were the culprit for the leaks, but it could be in your door considering that's where your rust is...

It is the door for sure, everywhere else is tight as.

I took the DATSUN door scuff plates off and to my surprise..no rust, which is another good indication. So far I'm really happy with this car. When I get back from overseas in March 2012, it will get a full respray in white or silver, so we will see how i go then!

Today I decided to polish the scuff plates since I had them off...they looked very tired;

Comparison between one finished and one as it was:

dsc01594n.jpg

dsc01595xe.jpg

Finished, with new screws etc:

dsc01598p.jpg

Also took out the non working ariel and replaced the hole with a gromet. This will be welded up when the respray occures, for a smoother look to the body;

dsc01600vg.jpg

Any suggestions as to if I should put some sound deadener down? I'm unsure!

Hi Dallas

In my 240, I pulled out the carpets, neutralised any rust, and then sprayed on some body deadner to ensure no more rust develops. From there, I stuck the cheap and cheerful equivalent of dynomat (available from any body shop suppliers) in (you apply it using a heat gun to give it form). This is a great way to reduce air-borne noise coming into the cabin and reduce heat conduction into the cabin off the road and exhaust heat wash. From your pics, it looks like your Z is garaged, which is a great step forward in preserving it...sitting in the weather is never good for any car. Otherwise, just make sure all your seals are working properly, and the car's are not problem leakers.

Cheers

Jamo

Hi Dallas,

Welcome!  I'm in Weston Creek along with the other 2 Zeds owned by my in-laws.

I bought inertia reel belts from Hemco about 3 years ago.  I don't have the details of the ones I bought, however ReverendZ posted this earlier this month (I worked through Wayne as well, seems he's in the know! 8)):

---

This was my order to Hemco for a 74 260z 2 seater, I don't imagine that the 2+2 would be much different although you would need to check mounting points etc.

2X front inertia belts are part number S1790006 with the 330mm stalks with the right angle floor mount.

2X 200mm Drop Links , part number S1800074 approx.

Contact Wayne at Hemco: wayne@hemco.com.au

---

They work fine.  You use the existing hole for the floor stalk, and for the anchor nearest the 'lap' belt.  I drilled an additional hole into the back deck/wheel arch, that's used to mount the inertia reel.  Take some time measuring this one up, as you firstly need some space away from the deck lip to enable the reel cover to sit, but more importantly, you need to ensure the belt exits the reel vertically, otherwise it will wear away at the belt edges :-\.

Regards,

Skidmark117

I was actually buying some POR 15 to treat the interior metal with some love. Also I've just moved to QYBN, and i get an outdoor setting and bbq tomorrow...Who wants to come over for a few ales and bbq on the long weekend?!

Dim

you where going to give/donate me a standard 280zx alt...and the shell............don t forget the shell reh....

Dallas

what day / time ? I need to confer with minister of war & finance & leave.

sounds like a good plan if all are interested. I can do all weekend as Ive got this week off to finish unpacking etc, and to start some quality work on the 240Z. If we come up with a day, we have the venue!

Snags and beers/cokes etc ..or whatever