28 replies to this topic

#21 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Am seriously considering going down the LS3 path. By the time you invest money into the LS1 you only end up with the equivalent HP of a tuned and mild cammed LS3 crate motor. The LS3  will give you further HP options up your sleeve for later insane engine developement....hmmmmm...probably won't need it..... then again
Do you reckon I need much in the rear brake department, my engine builder thinks not, but his speciality is road racing super bikes...although the weight to power could be similar lol
What do youse guys think

#22 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

I reckon a decent set of pads on an R31 rear conversion is plenty considering the small percentage of braking it does.  But then again, if you have the coin, it cant hurt having the AZC rear setup too...

#23 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

I should of made mention of the S13 rear end again , hopefully this will make the choices cheaper and easier to fit

#24 zed240au

zed240au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

The ls3 is sure sweet motor did Pacemaker extractors hi flow cats and full twin 3" system plus cold air intake on a Maloo ute last year for customer The guy then had cam fitted made just under 500hp with tune at wheels
Must say its still got me keen to make up twin 3" exhaust for mine just to see if u gives any extra ponies
My rear brakes are only mazda 929 on solid discs and have held up so far so dont think you need anything over the top on rear

#25 DeWit

DeWit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Tagline:Its never fast enough

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hey Chev, Whats your opinion on wheel and tyre combo for racing ? Looks like i have to invest in a second set of wheels, might as well get a good racing setup.

#26 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:48 AM

How long is a piece of string ?  [always wanted to use that saying  ]

Don't want to sound flippant , but need info about your car ,what type of racing and is it being used to drive to the track or is it only a track car
Also how serious do you intend to go racing and have you unlimited funds available... if you have....I need a set of slicks LOL
What HP , guard width restrictions regarding rim size
Seeing as there are so many variables ,by using the forum you might be able to matchup your cars use and specifications with some other racing member, so list the requirements and  I'm sure we can give you an idea

My cars specifications are probably a fairbit outside the norm and is still in developement  [ aren't they always, it's never ending ], so my budget and needs are probably different to yours , but lets see the facts and try and help

#27 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

Hows those front struts going steve?

#28 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

Attacked the car last Thurs. & Fri
Finally finished the front  brake and coilover upgrade , well up to the final height  positioning and wheel castor/ camber and alignment
If you haven't gone down the Arizona Z upgrade yet , I have discovered it's best to have a bloke that is handy at welding and steel fabrication to work along side you, this upgrade isn't quite as easy as I first thought. I'm a pretty ordinary welder, to put my skills into perspective I wouldn't trust racing a car that was welded by me in the important areas of brakes and suspension
Recapping the strut towers with the new gear and modifying the bracing mounts needed somebody with greater skills than I possess
Overall the Arizona parts are well made and solid , boy the discs and 6 pot calipers look awesome, which probably is going to highlight the fact that the existing rim/tyre combo on the car isn't sufficient in width and stickyness to allow for the braking potential to be utilised. Nothing that money can't fix  LOL...so they can wait

I am actually getting rather peeed with my attitude of continually striving to improve the car, in each needy area ,instead of just enjoying driving the car.I need to have more time on the track and less time in the workshop

Deb and I have only just returned from the Winton race track where we enjoyed watching  the Historics racing.Only two Zeds raced placing roughly mid field ,names were Stanford [?] and Thomas,worse luck I didn't get to catchup with them.They were lapping in 1.43 sec to 1.45 sec on 195 width tyres in traffic, so I reckon they would be pleased with those  times .
How did the job interviews go?
Rich is now going into the coal mines at Rockie and is down at Bris. doing induction training. Boy if your young and are willing to have a go, the financial rewards are tremendous. Although the lackof a social life does take the gloss of it a bit
Any way Deb and I hopefully will be up T' ville  soon  so we can catchup then, thats if your still there...chow Steve

#29 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

I'd be happy to take you for a strap on mine if you're up before I leave on the 1st of sep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users