Photo

Anyone changed their Ignition Barrel before?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

Howdy,

has anyone changed their ignition barrel before?

Mine is ok at the moment but it's a situation where I have to be careful not to fully turn the key when I start the car or the car won't turn over. So I have to turn it till JUST before full rotation hehehhe.

I dunno..... works fine but I rather not have it working like that so I bought a new barrel to replace.

The mandatory pic as always : )
Posted Image

I've been told that when I remove the old one I need to somehow use a tool like a centre punch to loosen the nutted-head screw as they may snap off if I simply just try to undo the screw by turning the head.

I can see that on that nutted-head screw theres a small neck and looks easy to break.

tips anyone?

Cheers,
William.

#2 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

meant to be there.
meant to break off after installation.
so your existing one may be already snapped clean off.

use a small pnematic cutoff tool to put a slot in the head and just use a flathead to remove.

nato

#3 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

or, as you have said in your post, use a centre punch and a hammer to tap it around - the metal is quite soft, so if you make your first hit straight on, it will make a dent in it that you can then use the centre punch at an angle in it.

#4 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

oic......kool thanks guys.

abit scared........hehehe.

#5 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

is it a 260???

i know this is more than common, can be fixed in the small plastic bit that sits in the back of the barrel, contact breaks and is only sort or something i remember reading.

although this extra turning on the barrel i thought engages the inhibitor switch/relay, havent done a great deal of checking in either the wiring diagram or whatever, abouth the broken contact is off the top of my head from what i read on another forum.

it is actually a really good occurance, good for theft prevention etc just takes a bit of finess, keep your barrel for when you loose or break your ignition key, or bugger the barrel!!!

i actually really like it, i suggest you get used to it and see how you like it, if you were a theif what would you do???? turn all the way!! (or anyone else)

nato

#6 dave_hl

dave_hl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

yeah im pretty sure my 280 stops if you go too far. i got used to it pretty quick though.
My current immoboliser consists of popping the bonnet and unplugging the ignition coil. kinda annoying to do but better then the car not being there when you come back!
Ill hook up something a bit better when i get round to setting up some sound. not sure what to go with yet though.

#7 JP240z

JP240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

what sound were you thinking of putting in?

#8 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:57 PM

me? what sound and who to??

nato

#9 dave_hl

dave_hl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:15 AM

I was thinking of doing something like what Evan has done, with a massive touch screen LCD and a media centre PC. but mine wouldn't be touch screen, just an old laptop screen. Might not end up bothering though, maybe just a standard headunit will do the trick. anyway i dont wanna hijack this thread; heres the link if you wanna read/post about it: http://www.viczcar.c...topic.php?t=277

cheers.

#10 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

Hi Guys, Since this thread started out about locks , I thought that I would offer a suggestion. I am a Locksmith ,and have converted my ignition lock to accept a different cylinder which is compatable with the door keys. I also converted the fuel filler cap. One key fits all. (1976 260z. Bongs old car ). Get in touch with you closest Locksmith shop if you don't like carrying extra keys. Regards David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users