• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hay Gordo book it with pete ;) and them I cam come across the road and watch peter do his magic it only a short trip down the road . ;)
Bruce 

#82 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Tagline:Racing member.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hey Bruce, the thought did cross my mind, I will wait and see if I can get on the dyno this week. After the v8supercars I was all fired up and took the zed for a thrash, and I must say the old girl felt strong. Pulled strong all the way to 7 grand. But the exaust note is bloody loud. Cheers.

#83 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

Dyno Today. We ran it up first and was 5kw from my best, alittle lean since the shorter secondarys. The power curve was or some from 3000rpm to 7000rpm. That exhaust change took the dip out of the power curve and is now good. A littel rich 3000 to 4000 then a littel lean 4500 to 6000 then Little rich 6000 + . Smoothed it out a bit and was OK. Timing was set at 14 deg. Then we went for the cam timing. A advance 2 deg and nothing happend, so we retarded it but there was no more adjustment, So what do you do, rotate the cam one tooth. but it retarted to much,so we went to put it back and could not get the cam wheel onto the cam, chain to tight. the timber wedge must of come loose and the tentioner had taken up the slack, tried to get it back in but after an hour had to concede defeat Sh#*%t.  It was al lgood and we had to chase just that littel bit more. I guess you never no until you give it a go. So I brought it home and will fix this week , and run it on the dyno next sat for check. Racing at msca sandown this Sunday, wish me luck. The only problem I have is how do you get the engine to top dead with out the chain on to turn the cam. Will the pistons hit valves. Cheers.

#84 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

good to hear the exh side of things is better not so good for the cam give me a call i will tell you how to do the job with out hitting the valves, not to hard don't fear 8)

#85 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Thanks Pete, will call you tommorow arfo. The exahast note is really loud now, might have to get a new magnaflow muffler, running out of time , seven days to Sandown.

#86 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

No problems mate.
Did you try the reducer as this will change the noise but the certainly are noise with the 3", it took me a while to get Noels 240 to be quiet enough to get under Sandowns noise limits.

#87 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

We did not try the reducer as we were happy with with power curb, maybe a nother time.

#88 salty

salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

we went to put it back and could not get the cam wheel onto the cam, chain to tight. the timber wedge must of come loose and the tentioner had taken up the slack, tried to get it back in but after an hour had to concede defeat Sh#*%t.

I would say your tensioner has moved out to far an probably is now jammed at an angle against the timing chain , would suggest you take off the timing cover to be sure, yeah thats a bitch BUT "er" on the side of caution :)

#89 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Yer Salty, it's a bitch, pulling off the timing cover to day.

#90 salty

salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:33 PM

I feel for ya, just done one recently on a L24 rebuild.
balancer was a bitvh :'(
if the tensioner is as I think, take a pic to show what can happen, be good  visual info :)

#91 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

What sort power were you getting out of it Gordon?

#92 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

Hi Gareth. the same power as be for, like I said the top end was always good, the exhaust has cleaned up the middle bit, but no more power and alittle more torque. After talking to Peter I'm making about 10 more kw than your engine . I fixed up the tentioner today and put it all back together. Just need to change the oil. ( water got into the sump when pulling of the timing cover.) Then fill the radiator and turn key. Going to tryand get bigger muffler this week.

#93 salty

salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

so, I take it the tensioner was as I said? no pics?

#94 Gordo

Gordo

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yes Salty, the tentioner. No pics this is a low budget thread, that's way over my ability. Took the zed for a drive tonight with the reducer in Pete, I thing it is a little quieter, defiantly the loudest at 4000rpm to 5000rpm but better. It has made bottom end even a bit smoother. Thanks Guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users